My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Thanks for the videos!

It's such a beautiful country once you get away from the urban/industrial areas. I really hope they can preserve this for future generations.

And the bikes are nice too :)

Sinbord1981 said:
intothewildrider said:
wow now i'm not sure if i should order the AM1000 with a extra 21ah battery or the new Frey EX. What are the differences? Me and 2 friends was ready to order a am1000 each but now i kinda got confused wich one to choose

Hello! Sorry for delay replying. Exactly where abouts are you guys based in the world?

EX Specs: http://www.frey.bike/full-suspension-eMTB/Frey-EX.htm
AM1000 Specs: http://www.frey.bike/full-suspension-eMTB/Frey-AM1000.htm

The geometry is slightly different on the EX, some would say better, both are excellent supremely competent eBikes. With the AM1000 you’ve got one nice big battery pack all in one package. With the EX you’ve potentially got more Watt hrs with both fitted but if you want to go lightweight and not always needing that range you can ditch the external piggy-back battery and drop some kilos. The EX also has greater suspension travel but is more expensive than the AM1000. Both ride extremely well. So, pros and cons for each really. Cheers.

Thank you for the answer

We are from Norway, bikes gonna be mostly used on rough wood trails, singeltracks, gravel roads and some long trips deep into the Norwegian mountains. the EX looks pretty awesome indeed, but think i`ll end up with the AM1000 with a extra 21ah battery to carry in the backpack. On longer trips i feel that it's better that i feel a bit heavier with the battery in the backpack than the bike feel heavy because of the attached extra battery.

intothewildrider said:
Sinbord1981 said:
intothewildrider said:
wow now i'm not sure if i should order the AM1000 with a extra 21ah battery or the new Frey EX. What are the differences? Me and 2 friends was ready to order a am1000 each but now i kinda got confused wich one to choose

Hello! Sorry for delay replying. Exactly where abouts are you guys based in the world?

EX Specs: http://www.frey.bike/full-suspension-eMTB/Frey-EX.htm
AM1000 Specs: http://www.frey.bike/full-suspension-eMTB/Frey-AM1000.htm

The geometry is slightly different on the EX, some would say better, both are excellent supremely competent eBikes. With the AM1000 you’ve got one nice big battery pack all in one package. With the EX you’ve potentially got more Watt hrs with both fitted but if you want to go lightweight and not always needing that range you can ditch the external piggy-back battery and drop some kilos. The EX also has greater suspension travel but is more expensive than the AM1000. Both ride extremely well. So, pros and cons for each really. Cheers.

Thank you for the answer

We are from Norway, bikes gonna be mostly used on rough wood trails, singeltracks, gravel roads and some long trips deep into the Norwegian mountains. the EX looks pretty awesome indeed, but think i`ll end up with the AM1000 with a extra 21ah battery to carry in the backpack. On longer trips i feel that it's better that i feel a bit heavier with the battery in the backpack than the bike feel heavy because of the attached extra battery.

The AM1000 is really great, have one myself. But you need to know that the battery is massive.

That is indeed true, i use the 2nd battery on very long trips but I sometimes wish it wouldn't be so massive. A cycling backpack is quickly filled

I'm in the process of ordering some LG M50 21700 cells to build a 24V pack to power a portable radio repeater. As shipping cells from China is more economical if you ship >10kg (works out to 120 cells all-in), I decided to get extras. With that I plan to build my spouse a small 'reserve' 14S1P 52V battery to carry in her saddlebags that will give her 5A of extra capacity to get her home.

I'm also ordering a Frey M600, and am wondering if there is some way I can attach a similar reserve battery to it. I've also asked Frey if I can order an empty battery case, and waiting to hear back on that.

Is anyone using the AM1000 as a daily for work etc. My plan other than a bit of trail riding at weekends is to use for commuting is it ok to use in all weather conditions and is it proving reliable?
Experienceso please.

I know a lot of people who use the AM1000 as a commuter bike. You'd have to search appropriate fenders and such but it is a very smooth ride.

Anyone else unable to get a response from Frey ? Mailed them over two weeks ago now and still no reply.

I've been in touch with them lately. It's hit and miss, sometimes I get a response in a few minutes, others, it can be a few days. I get the impression that your email may get buried in their inbox. At the moment I have been waiting about a day and a half for a reply from Grace at Frey to put the finishing touches on an order. I assume that they work normal Hours, however I just finished an online chat session with our battery supplier and it's about 11PM their time, so you never know when they might be checking their email. I think that it might be worth it to bump your email message if you're near the end of their working day and you've been waiting since the previous day.

Got my FAT1000 yesterday. Been driving around nearby dirt and backroads. Very nice and happy with the quality and how smoothly the PA works. Only minor issues are that Bafang display drops battery percentage too quickly if I’m using thumb throttle. Battery percentage drops from 95% to 65% instantly when thumb throttling. It never recovers above 70% even if I change to Eco mode level 1. This happens even if I use the thumb throttle for one minute! Battery’s own indicator still shows full 5/5 bars.

F86E8AB5-5526-4B19-B890-915DC4F5D61A.jpeg

one, the battery lights won't really show you much usefull information. And to get the accurate battery percentage back I've noticed that you have to turn the bike on and off. What you can do is put the settings to voltage, which gives you a real-time value of the voltage that tells you exactly how your battery is. A bit of feeling is needed in the beginning, but I think someone posted a comparison between voltage and percentage.

alenari said:
Anyone else unable to get a response from Frey ? Mailed them over two weeks ago now and still no reply.

For my questions and order, I did it on the alibaba App. Always had a response in less then 24u.

One more question. The charger says output voltage 48V 5A. How can I charge a 48V nominal battery to full with a 48V charger? If you don’t know what I mean don’t even bother to answer.

Something doesn’t add up in this equation. Either the charger outputs more or the battery has smaller voltage than announced.

54.6 volts output for the said 48v charger, and to be all-inclusive, their 52v charger outputs 58.8v. You can also check the voltage of your battery using the Bafang display. Fully charged it should read 54.6v for a 48v battery.

Reasoning: you have 13 cells in series with each a nominal voltage of 3.7v (13x3.7 = 48v), while their max voltage is 4.2V. You do the math if you know what I mean

Hardcore said:
54.6 volts output for the said 48v charger, and to be all-inclusive, their 52v charger outputs 58.8v. You can also check the voltage of your battery using the Bafang display. Fully charged it should read 54.6v for a 48v battery.

Reasoning: you have 13 cells in series with each a nominal voltage of 3.7v (13x3.7 = 48v), while their max voltage is 4.2V. You do the math if you know what I mean

Thx for your reply. Thus to be noted that their charger markings are incorrect. Output isn’t 48V as marked but 54.6V which is the correct voltage. Otherwise the charger seems to be well made.

The math adds up and the only possible explanation math-wise when comparing Ah, voltages and cell numbers is the aforementioned incorrect markings on the charger.

Are there supposed to be mounting holes for the chain guide? My motor doesn't seem to have anywhere to mount it.

Attachments

• 20191012_144123_compress48.jpg
    20191012_144123_compress48.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 2,875
If you didn't get it with the chainguide then you have to get the holes in there yourself. I did it as well due to too many chaindrops. But what have you been doing to your bike? Looks well used

Hardcore said:
If you didn't get it with the chainguide then you have to get the holes in there yourself. I did it as well due to too many chaindrops. But what have you been doing to your bike? Looks well used
yep, lots of chain drops, unfortunately. Ivy sent me the chain guide when she sent a new rear hub. Blew out the freewheel at the Downiville Downhill. Lots of rides in South Lake Tahoe and northern CA. I have definitely put the bike through its paces. It is a fun powerful bike!

Did you tap and die the holes for the guide? How hard is it to get the motor housing off to do that? (Or did you use some sort of self taping metal screws?) Can you send a few pics (as best you can since the chainring is in the way).

It mounted ex factory like this on my HT;
IMG-20191013-153912.jpg

IMG-20191013-153916.jpg

rayebiker said:
Hardcore said:
Did you tap and die the holes for the guide? How hard is it to get the motor housing off to do that? (Or did you use some sort of self taping metal screws?) Can you send a few pics (as best you can since the chainring is in the way).

Yes, tap and die. Getting the motor off is quite easy but you have to undo the bolts and lower the motor out of the frame (you can keep it connected or disconnect as you like). Then you can tap two holes like in the attached picture and die them.

Attachments

• IMG_20181010_151614 (2).jpg
    IMG_20181010_151614 (2).jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 2,945
  • IMG_20181010_151934 (3).jpg
    IMG_20181010_151934 (3).jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 2,945
Back