My Cromotor E-Bike Build -> more like a moped

madin88 said:
for the registration inspection i need an automatic kickstand so i placed an order for a "REX auto center" from atranvelo. though its out of stock until december or so..
wouldn't a kick stand with an integrated kill switch work as well? you know: as long as the stand i down the bike's throttle will be non functional. this is how some of my bikes did it (some time ago though)

izeman said:
wouldn't a kick stand with an integrated kill switch work as well? you know: as long as the stand i down the bike's throttle will be non functional. this is how some of my bikes did it (some time ago though)

yes a stand with a kill switch also would be ok but i think there is none buyable which fits my bike. so i decided to go with the automatic version. it only is about 15€ + shipping and keeps things simple.

some pics from the latest ride with my brother on the bike. maybe the last ride because its getting colder and colder here in austria, though this year it is not as cold as usual by that time.

ltNNIg.jpg

RcAW7P.jpg

m1ah7H.jpg

mSgHOF.jpg

MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER said:
I see it now, it looks very moped hahaha :mrgreen:
Super bike man!

She is a beauty.
But moped ? I see moped wheels and a car horn. Maybe its a ebikmopecar . :pancake:
May i can ask what she wights? :mrgreen:

thanks for your compliments :)

\/ampa said:
May i can ask what she wights? :mrgreen:

47kg now. with the previous 16" BMX rims it was about 45kg.
The battery boxes are made of two Pelican 1200 cases with custom lids to make them smaller and more comfortable to pedal. it feels like heaving a fuel tank between your knees used on normal motorcycles.
its a 12V moped horn. a car horn normally is much bigger.

oh indeed these horns look very similar in size. it would be funny to run two or more of them on ebike or one big horn from a truck or ship :lol:

Yes, since an accident with some luck where i havn't worn a helmet i never ride without. This bike is so powerful and hard accelerating that only crazy people wouldn't feel unsafe without a helmet :)

as for the cops, i guess it very depends on how you ride when they catch sight of you (and imo it doesn't matter much how the bike looks like). if they see you coming from the front side they can hardly see if you have a license plate on the bike or not.
During the >1000km i ridden in the city this summer i past more than 15 times the cops, but i never got stopped or followed by them because i mostly have seen them first and ridden inconspicuous. i never ride on bike lanes but always on the street.
therefore i only joke cars and other ICE moped drivers if no cops in sight..

zener said:
madin88 said:
therefore i only joke cars and other ICE moped drivers if no cops in sight..
And if its a unmarked cop? :D
that's an easy one. then you just push the throttle and turn into the next small street that's not accessible by cars and off you go. at least this is what i do :) (depending on if i did something wrong or not of course)

:lol: yeah iv done that a few times....and if theres no small street nearbye, then its maximum warp outta there :twisted:

ridethelightning said:
i had previously blown up a smaller cap, 36v,1000uf, doing this but it was also supposed to be within recomended values. so as a newb to electronics, you can imagine i might think im doing something wrong!

i have just ordered a small choke from Andrey, good for 30a charging, but would still very much like to understand whats going on here.
your advice much appreciated :)

I might be a little late for an advice on capacitor but just in case it could help:

The capacitor have a third parameter that is important: The RI !! just like battery have!

The lower the Ri of a capacitor is the higher the current can be, otherwise it heat, or melt or blow :wink:

Usually large voltage value on a cap man also higher RI.. again...just like battery are too.

So dont choose a too high voltage for nothing, just use a voltage let say 20% above the max voltage you plan to use. otherwise Ri will be too high for nothing and the cap will heat.

Also the higher the capacity is they lower the RI is, well in fact you have to look at the "Ri per uF". the higher it is the better it is.

For my Adaptto charging coil and cap, i have found a cap of 1000uF 100V that is just 15miliohm. Previously I found other caps that was bigger and appear to be better by the look.. and had 200V and finally it had Ri of 55 miliohm witch is more than 3 time higher meaning 9 time more heat !

The best capacitor choice is:

Voltage: rating 20% or more higher than the max power supply value you use but try keeping close to 20% and not higher to preserve lower RI
Capacity: the higher it is the best it is. In this case between 470 and 1000uF, the 1000uF would be the best choice.

I hope this help :wink:

Doc

thanks for the info Doc!
I believe its not that hard to make the charging coil by oneself, and because freight charges add quite much to coil only it would also come much cheaper.

currently i build a new battery 20s12p Samsung 25R and will try out MXUS 3000 V2 3T motor on this bike (will be laced in same rim with same tires as cromotor). The "old" battery i will put in one of my Vector bikes..
will post some pics soon and report how the DN-5 spotwelder does turn out.. :)

Did you test the MXUS yet?
I'm about to purchase a motor.
Not sure if I'll pick the Cro or the MXUS.
I'm interested in your feed back. :)

no, i'm still waiting for the rim and axle. further i will install a fan blower wheel and little heatsinks on one sidecover so it will not be a fair comparison.

madin88 said:
izeman said:

yes a stand with a kill switch also would be ok but i think there is none buyable which fits my bike. so i decided to go with the automatic version. it only is about 15€ + shipping and keeps things simple.

probably a bit late to say this, but a magnetic reed switch(hotglued inside a pen lid or such, and a small rare earth magnet would work a treat for this, and really easy to install.

just set it up so the reed comes close to the magnet when the stand is up, completing the circut, and on comes the display....

not a bad idea with the reed switch on the stand. automatic stand can be very dumb..
i think i will install reed switch on the brake levers, but first i have to figure out what options i have for mounting them. or i put the magura switch in the hydraulic line.
further there is a nice thumb throttle from Wuxing which is perfect for ebrake usage and i guess there is some space in it for installing a reed sw for brake light :)
the 5k pot in my custom ebrake lever dies to fast. it is built out of AWI (EMAXI) thumb throttle but they also die very fast thats why i switched over to magura.

Madin88,

Brilliant build - I aspire to build one just like yours.

I have a quick question if you don't mind - it seems like for your bike, you have altered or customized the front suspension, as it does look shorter and barely clears the moped tire! How did you achieve this? Or is it actually stock 200mm??

Thanks

thx, i hope these pics help:

o2MaMH.jpg

Drk1Kw.jpg

Back