My e-ride XPe: Chinese Sailing Ship?

Still down, replaced two more sensors, so they have all been replaced. No wire breaks, so it must be something in thecontroller.

I'll wait till my bikes get here and just swap out parts to locate the issue.

Believe it or not, sometimes a bad DC-DC converter on this type of bike can cause controller cutouts, & similar symptoms. It happened to my friend's bike twice. I started replacing wires and I was about to open the motor when I heard a sizzling noise - at first i thought it was the controller, but found it coming from the converter, - swapped the converter for a new one and the bike ran smooth. The bike was running with reduced power and it felt like one of the hall sensors was bad before this.

I purchased a Motorino XPh from Steven at E ride at 2nd and main in Vancouver. In the first week, all the lights on the bike blew out and then it died randomly. I was told that he could not fix all the lights at that time. The ignition began to fall apart as well. I brought it in and had it repaired (under warrenty), and about a week later it died again and started to work after trying it over the course of a day. Steve looked over it for about 10 minutes and said there is nothing he could do about that. This past week, the throttle stuck while I was riding almost causing me to crash. I turned the bike off and it died completely. I was forced to push it over 1/2 a mile to finish getting to work. Again after trying it randomly during the day, it began to work. I managed to get it home, but was almost rear ended by a car who proceeded to yell at me that I wasn't using my turn signal. I pulled over and sure enough they were not working. I had it brought into their shop and have waited 2 days for them to repair it. Steve stated that he's been to busy with sales (2 sunny days in Vancouver) to look at it. When I demanded my money back, he said that the return policy is only for 7 days. I do not recommend their products or service. I paid over $1500 for a lemon.

Ow. :evil:

That can't be legal.

Mathurin said:
That can't be legal.

In Canada, does that constitute not dealing in good faith? And the warranty needs to be executed in good faith too. Not fixing things in a reasonable and timely manner is possibly breach of that warranty contract. Perhaps you could have a small claims case, or more importantly, the threat of one.

It sounds not only as if you have a lemon, but an ass of a dealer.

Try pressing the dealer for an exchange. Be a very vocally unhappy customer. Try making a scene when he's trying to make a sale on one of those sunny days. I'm sure he'd be more receptive there. :twisted:

Did you pay with a credit card?

In the US, I would dispute the charge, and invite the dealer to retrieve his junk.

lazarus2405 said:
Try pressing the dealer for an exchange. Be a very vocally unhappy customer. Try making a scene when he's trying to make a sale on one of those sunny days. I'm sure he'd be more receptive there. :twisted:

Pickets work wonders. Scare his customers off by telling them the truth about what happened to you, and he will pay you to go away.

Went to e-ride at the end of March and have had nothing but problems since. After the first week, all the lights blew out on it when I turned on my highbeams. I brought it in and was told that the lights had been 'accidentally' hooked up wrong. I was then told that he couldn't replace the ones on the dash since they are 'internal'. The ignition began to fall apart the next day. At the end of week two, the whole bike completely died. I had it brought in, and they managed to get it going. The ignition wasn't replaced though. I was told that this is not normal. Week 3 had the bike not start up one day when I went to have lunch. I tried it intermittantly during the day and called them. To his credit, Steve did come down to Richmond (he closed his shop although he said he didn't have a customer all day), but by the time he showed up, it was working again. He brought it down to his store, rode it around the block and said he couldn't see anything wrong with it. I had about 2 weeks of good riding (minus dashboard lights, and the falling apart ignition) and then this past Monday, the throttle stuck on my way to work, when I hit my brakes, I almost bailed because I didn't realized that it was stuck. I turned it off and back on and had no throttle at all. I waited about 10 minutes and managed to get it going, which meant I had the throttle stuck and used my brakes to control my speed. Half a mile from work, it died completely. I pushed it to work, called and left a message (they don't open on Sun. or Mon.). Again, after trying it through the day, it was working by the mid afternoon. On my way home, I was at an intersection about to make a left hand turn, when a car almost hit me from behind. The driver yelled at me, and said something about turn signals. I pulled over and sure enough, the turn signals weren't working. I got home and had my wife bring it in the next day. Went I showed up right before they closed, I was told they had been too busy with sales to look at my bike. I proceeded to complain to him about how this is now costing me money and time to take transit to work, and he said it would be ready tomorrow. He said since "your problems are intermittant' he will have to 'see what the problem is'. I said my problem was I spent $1500 to pay to take the bus to work and walk home from his shop.

The next day, I tried calling them when I got home from work (a 30 min ride turns into 1 hour 20 min on the bus) and their phone rang with no one answering it. I finally got there just as they were going to close. Again, my scooter wasn't ready. He said he was working on it right now, and it would be ready tomorrow. At this point I demanded my money back (oh yeah, the clip on the helmet broke too), and he proceeded to state that the return policy is 7 days. I told him I was gonna cost him a lot more money that it is worth. He said it could take 3 months for parts and that his warrenty doesn't give a time on when he has to have it fixed.

I went home and checked out the Better Business Bureau rating for E-ride and found out they have had 4 official complaints against them in the last 3 years, with them refusing to even reply to 2 of them. This gives them an unsatisfactory rating with the BBB, and I started to go online and post my problems with them on any place that mentioned them. (how I found this link btw)

On Thursday, I went it and picked up the scooter and was checking it out, when Steve (owner/tech/guy who has my money) came up and said 'So, I see you're already complaining'. I replied,'This is Canada, I have the right to my opinion'. I left and went did some errands and came home. I was going to leave to visit a friend and when I was pulling the bike out of my basement (I keep it completely dry when not riding it) I heard a 'ping'. I looked on the ground and found a metal part had rusted off from somewhere in the steering column. It turns out that it's the clip that keeps the handle bars from now going 90 plus degrees.

I've had it, I am currently having a professional ticketed welder examine the frame welds. I am also going to have an engineer do an inspection as well. I have contacted multiple consumer groups and Transport Canada as well. Since he seems to like selling unsafe, problem ridden goods, I as a health and safety professional cannot simply let this pass. This is about more than my $1500, this is about safety. I doubt that there is any inspection process on their part with the stuff they sell.

Wow, I was about to order an XPi through e-ride.ca. I really like the features of their products (motorcycle tires, high load capacity) but if quality control is this bad I think I better buy something local.

Hope you managed to get your XPe fixed. Thanks for the detailed posting!

Bill.

Doesn't sound like it is fixable.

Cheap steel with chrome ... looks like it rusts if you stare at it harshly.

Sue him. His product isn't usable.

Lessss said:
Here is an idea I thought of to make use of the empty mirror sockets. Whent he second set of batteries arrived a generic set of mirrors came with it but no sockets for the holes to mount the mirrors. I attached the mirrors to the brake levers.
rainjo9.png

It's been awhile but i was wondering if you tried the top cover on your scooter ?
I am searching for a construction to mount on your scooter to protect you from rain when driving in the autumn/winter

Anybody ??

Wow, and I came close to purchasing one of these. The XPH to be exact. From all the complaints my Gio 500+ is far better with zero problems so far and less than half the price. the cso definitely report this dealer to every single consumer group you can. I hope you at least get an exchange.

Lessss said:
I've repaired Gio's, same quality, same parts, probably same factory. Just yours a few more months.

I did research at the Gio forum here(and others) for a while:

http://gioebike.dailyforum.net/index.php?sid=d3c69ff198e7f7d1c4c665180ebd9dbe

before I bought one at the online auction. Based on the reports there any glaring problems can usually be solved with a good 10mm wrench or a bottle of lithium grease. Repairs are cheap and the bike doesn't cost two Gs or more so I can always get another one as I didn't break the bank the first time if it comes to the worst case scenario. I could always gut it for parts. I'm upgrading the wiring to 8 ga but only as a precaution because I'm overvolting it. "Precautions" with these Chinese made scooters seems to be the order of the day. Whatever the pricetag they cut corners. If you have problems right off the bat it stands to reason that you may have a lemon on your hands. So FIRST check out if the company honours their warrantly if you call. Gio unlike the people at the dealers above actually do.

Back