My e-skate build vs my EMAD's board

Everything is small compared to the "fork lift" SLA :)

Yeah I plan on 2S2P, but the price is a bit on the high side. Compared to 4 of these. The voltage should still be 1 to 2 V higher than the SLA's.

Agree, the belt tensioning is a problem. I admit that 12S is simpler to fulfill my needs.

True but with only 1-2 V higher, does your fully charged board have enough power for you. If you want more go 12S.

I would go just 2 batteries to start and see how you like it and the real life range. Then buy 2 more if you really need it or just pack a charger or something if commuting.

Actually, when the SLA is fully charged the power is just enough. If I take on a too steep hill the drive wheel spins, but only briefly until the battery gets exhausted.

So today I lean towards 10S. Question now is if I can get away with 8000mAh or play it safe with 10 000mAh?

I need to get 7 km mostly uphill one way to work. My ineffective board consumes 30 Wh/km wich is about 9.6 km for a 10S 8Ah battery (288Wh). So that shall make it in theory. But that depends on how true HK's battery statings are? In worts case I can ad another 2 to get 12 000mAh :roll:

Price wise going from 10S to 12S isn't much. But if you go 10S first then feel you need more power and want to go 12S you got to get all new batteries. Just go 12S now...the extra power, especially on hills will be worth it.

I am a new guy...

Just want to ask a question. Turnigy motor doesn't seem to have a keyway. How should I connect it to my cog? :(

I just used a dremel to make a flat spot where the grub screws go. Has been fine. No slippage.

Hey...interested in the info you guys have here. Just got an EMAD 600w and I want to go lipo. It seems the 12s is the concensus here...

Questions I have are...aren't lipos supposed to have some sort of management system seperate from the the motor controller?

And how exactly do you guys wire up the batteries in series/parallel and still easily charge them with separating them and charging each individually? What charger do you use?

Thanks for any help...

Shane

I just have 2 6s in series. Depending on the connector you are using Hobbyking also sells a series adapter you just plug both batteries into. Then just softer a new connection to the wire in the battery box. I have now management. Just have a low voltage warning to tell me when batteries getting low and to stop. As for charging. You can charge individually or in parallel. Depending on your charger might be the same amount if time either way. To charge I just unplug each battery from the series connector and plug into any lipo charger. Mine take about 30-45 mins each. More expensive chargers can do it faster.

shane0926 said:
Hey...interested in the info you guys have here. Just got an EMAD 600w and I want to go lipo. It seems the 12s is the concensus here...

Questions I have are...aren't lipos supposed to have some sort of management system seperate from the the motor controller?

And how exactly do you guys wire up the batteries in series/parallel and still easily charge them with separating them and charging each individually? What charger do you use?

Thanks for any help...

Shane

OK...gotcha. But the 6S is only 22 volts right? So two in parallel is still only 22 volts...

Sorry. 2 6s in series. So 44v. Board is faster and has much more torque. Feel it with quicker acceleration and better hill climbing abilities.

Oh OK I got ya...you don't think there's a risk of burning out the controller or motor?

Possibly but from others who have tried it I haven't heard of it happening. I've run like that for several months with no issues.

Cool...so to solidify this..which exact 12S would you go with from hobbyking? And which exact 2 (or 4) 6S would you go with from hobbyking?

I use 2 if these turnigy 6S 20c 5000mAh.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9176__Turnigy_5000mAh_6S_20C_Lipo_Pack.html

And you notice more speed and power with those?

How about distance compared to stock SLAs? These lipos will only give you 5Ah compared to the (I believe stock 7Ah...

For sure more power speed and power. Basically running at 1/3 more voltage.

Range is a little shorter. But you could always add 2 more in parallel to those and be up to 10ah

There is plent of room in the case.

Huge additional benefit is board is about 1/2 the weight. Lose about 20 lbs in batteries.

OK I really want to do this but also would like to AT LEAST maintain my current range. Is there a way I could do 4 of those 6S (2 series/ 2 parallel) and be able to plug in 1 charger to make it simple?

Also what is the minimum constant discharge rate you think would be required for this board? 25C?

20C is what is typically recommended. Don't need to go higher.

Yes, exactly. Run 2 pairs in parallel and then connect those in series. Or just see if they have some higher mAh than the 5000.

Charging anything can de done spending how you wire it. Easiest would be to just connect the two parallel pairs individually to the charger or you can buy a single parallel charging board that you could connect all 4 batteries at once. Tons on ebay.

OK awesome thanks for all the info...do you by chance have a pic of the two 6S batteries mounted in your emad battery box?

Thinking 2 of these...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16228__ZIPPY_Flightmax_8000mAh_6S1P_30C_.html

Mine aren't mounted in there. Just have a microfiber cloth they sit on so they won't rub too much on anything. Could build a little box or something but been playing with my DIY board projects so EMAD just works and I leave it.

OK then I will post a few pics after I get mine mounted. You said 20C was ideal for this board...do you know if going to 30C then eventually 60C when paralleled might cause a problem?

20c is plenty for this board. Going higher will just cost you more as those batteries are more expensive.

Back