My first run on my new 5303 motor

morph999

100 kW
Finally got everything done. Lots of pain because the bike has no kickstand. The 5303 sounds like a jet aircraft !!! hahaha. I got it up to 31 mph then I got scared because I thought I was going to launch into orbit when I hit a pothole. The thing is absolutely crazy. I have mixed feelings about it. It's very thrilling. For someone who has never owned a motorcycle, it's about as close to a motorcycle as you can get I think. Not sure what was going on but drivers were giving me tons of respect on the road. Not sure if they could tell I was new to the bike or if it was something else. They gave me no respect on my huffy.

Just as I was going to give it a speed test...batteries ran down. Top speed was only possible for first 3 miles. It sounded like a jet aircraft. I noticed the 5303 has way way more cogging than my forsen hub. My forsen hub has virtually no cogging effect. Could only manage about 12 mph pedaling on this bike while I can do about 16 mph on my Forsen hub e-bike and the forsen hub e-bike probably weighs more.

Anyway, I have mixed feelings. It's everything I wanted but I can see myself dying on this thing. hahahaha. I'm putting a mirror on it today for sure.

If my forsen hub is a labrador retriever, the 5303 is like a Polar Bear, big huge and powerful.

Anyway, is there any good way to tell whether the hub motor is going to fly off the forks? Those bumps scare me. I can feel the bumps way more on this bike than I could on my huffy for some reason. The bumps are the only thing keeping me from going full speed right now. Maybe I'll learn to handle the bumps better with time. I got a great street that I can test the speed out. I just thought of it. It's a brand new street with no potholes at all. After my batteries charge, I'll go out and try it.

How hard are your tires? Too soft well you know, but too hard and you will feel the bumps. My tire max is about 50psi I aim around 40~45psi.

Is your bike aluminium? Aluminium dont flex like steel does, it's a more rigid ride.

Post some pics and let the other members take a look at your ride, thats the best way to get some good pointers.

2 words- unsprung weight. That motor probably weighs triple what the forsen does. I'm guessing. Plus you are probably going faster already which will make a big difference. Make sure you check those nuts before every ride and wear a helmet. With all that power I see lipos in your future or a lotta short rides :p

it's cromoly and the tire pressure is at 60 psi....maybe I should take it down a bit.

torker said:
2 words- unsprung weight. That motor probably weighs triple what the forsen does. I'm guessing. Plus you are probably going faster already which will make a big difference. Make sure you check those nuts before every ride and wear a helmet. With all that power I see lipos in your future or a lotta short rides :p

Even short rides are a blast on that thing. It's like an amusement park right outside my house. The thing is crazy powerful.

Check them every day for the first week and then start to relax.

I found your gt pics.

it is a nice bike. you have got plenty of advice and you have done well.

I want to be critical for your sake not my own.

Here goes.

Man i would ditch those forks for something much chunkier. 30mph they may be fine but you dont want to be in any maybe ball park.

My bike is like a sherman tank by comparison but it needs to be. I worried a little about my forks and I use a rear hub. if it worries you, listen to your instintcs Morph.

Your mixed feeling are telling you something and I would listen to them.

What do you weigh?

morph999 said:
it's cromoly and the tire pressure is at 60 psi....maybe I should take it down a bit.

Take it down to 45 and you will get good grip around corners acceptable speed and better comfort. you wont get as many flats or cuts to the tires.

At 50psi i was getting flats once a week and nearly twice some weeks, blown valves, i almost thought i couldnt do it anymore. At 45psi i havent had a flat since.

The frame is very acceptable chrome molly is your friend.

I probably weigh 245 lbs. I was worried the first time I rode my huffy too so I don't know if it means anything. Then I settled in and wasn't worried anymore to even go 30 mph. I was worried the first month on my huffy. How much are new forks? I still want to buy a lithium battery. I spent $30 on tools to put this bike together.

only thing I don't like is the throttle that came with my 5303. I like the throttle that came with my Forsen hub better. I might switch them eventually. The one that came with my 5303 tends to stick and doesn't feel very accurate. Seems like it has two settings low and high. I like a more gradual throttle. Maybe it just takes some getting used to.

I don't think good forks are going to be an option for that 1" head tube.

anyone else who has an X5, do you feel a cogging effect when you are pedaling ?

I just read that chromoly is stronger than Hi-tensile Steel so I feel re-assured after reading that.

From all I've read here the 5xxx motors do cog pretty bad. The price you pay for all that power I guess. My 9C doesn't seem to cog much at all but I think the magnets are closer together than most so it is a pretty even draw. It just slows down almost like a slight drag on the brakes. Like leslie said I would check that fork and nuts daily for awhile and inspect the dropouts for any cracking too.

Flats and blown valves? I run mines at 65 psi. Im fluffy and never had a flat with Bell tires and the stock chinese tube that originally came with the motor.

icecube57 said:
Flats and blown valves? I run mines at 65 psi. Im fluffy and never had a flat with Bell tires and the stock chinese tube that originally came with the motor.

Possibly my 30+ kgs pack and big steel frame adds more weight than yours. The roads here are riddled with shrapnel and pot holes.

morph weighs 245lbs. He almost weighs as much as me my bike and my batts. Add an x5 batts and some accessories at 65psi pressure with this weight, this is going to be in the red zone imo. Though you still need decent pressure for a heavy bike, with in reason would be wise.

The flats were no a coincidence they were driving me nuts and the difference at the lower pressure was duely noted.

I weigh more than morph and have bikes that use a 5304 and a 5305 and tow my 35 pound boy. I run at 65 psi with slime liners and tubes and ride through star thistle strewn gravel and bad roads and haven't had a flat in 400 miles so far (knocking on some wood). Mine did cog some initially brand new, but have seemed to have lost a lot of that cogging. I can pedal at 12mph pretty easy and with a hair throttle cruise at 20mph pushing only 5 amps or so. They are amazing motors. Anyone else notice some of the drag going away after they've ridden a couple hundred miles? It could be that I'm just more used to how it feels also.

You guys need to lose some weight
Your range would increase.
I guess its hard not to do something, like eat.

I go to different service station I'm starting to wonder whether their pumps are all the same.

Maybe 6000+ miles Ive done is the difference, I dont have full suspension either like morph.

I have noticed that smaller bag tires have higher MAX PSI too. Nothing wrong with under shooting your max pressure by a little, Max psi is just a guide. With no suspension I feel a little less pressure is probably not a bad thing.

20 mph vs. 37mph is huge when you actually do it on a bicycle. My first 24v ebike went 11 mph, then I volted it to 36v and it went 18mph. 7 mph more was like wow.

I imagine the adrenalin pumping through morphs blood ATM. We are all happy for him but he needs to settle down and think this out a bit, its hard when you shaking with excitment..

Have you taken a bad fall at 20mph yet? I hit head on into a hard wood stud at 18mph and I cried on my back in pain for 5 minutes before I could even get up and limp slowly my twisted bent forks home.

Lets hope he beats that clock and gets his issues all sorted.

The x5 hub bicycle I believe is something to respect.

Morph do you have a suspension seat pole. This could help take quite a bit of shock factor off the whole bike man.

Velias, isn't that one of the points of biking? To lose weight? You also need to remember that not everyone is built the same. Some of us are ex football players that were 220lbs with 6% body fat in our prime. Age tends to take it's toll on how well you can keep that up. Take it easy on us bigger guys.

Look if these guys can even get on a bike that’s saying more than some of the larger people I've seen wandering about with walkers and four wheeled granny mobiles.

Some people need to get the freaking wall removed to get them off their beds even and theyre stuck to it.

Getting out and about was enough, and did it for me, as I was stuck at home with no drivers licence, with too many spawn to feed and 16km or a $20 return taxi ride to get milk or food to eat. There is no way in hell I could of done the groceries to feed the family with pedals. I gained 30lbs until I got my ebike. I was relying on the cabs more.

Hoorahhh for the Ebike.

The motor helps you go faster and if you pedal you pedal faster and thats good for weight loss. You just dont get an easy ride either, you just get a longer ride and get to do more with your life. It makes life more interesting all round.

These days in the US, 250 is not an unusual weight.

My 5304 does cog like crazy. At first it wouldn't even roll, but skidded across a slick garage floor, but now it seems easier. Limbered up the bearings I guess.

Hi Morphh Can we see a picture of this creation ? :p

Back