my inrunner build ? go ahead and laugh

Well ?
I didn't smell the magic smoke (the wind was south easterly this weekend)
Enoob, your are so far out front on the build scheduals......please don't report you lost traction in turn 3 & hit the wall! (or lost a "thumb" in a Light saber incident or god forbid, a bowling accident)

I think the real test for these builds is to have 4 of us show up at Pikes Peak & demand a class. :p (or the slat flats in utah?) ether way...the suspense is killing me!

Still not feeling any presure to build the DY-NO-MOM-ET-ER!!!! :twisted: :p

enoob has been absent from MSN for days now, last report he was
nearly ready to bolt it on his BMX and take it for a spiiiiiinz though

hehehe you freakin love saying Dynomometer dont you Thud LoL...

KiM

sorry gents. :) a few things dog piled me but mostly my youngest reminded me im a dad first and a budding ev nut second.

I will have you know i was still thinking of this forum and working to show my stuff . I have to go back to my teen years to remember a time i was as frustrated as ive been in the last few days.

i had it on the bike and stripped a part :evil: ive even got my helmet cam figured out and working, now , so the next ride will be live. while in the process of fixing the broken drivelin i decided to "improve" a few things and in doing so painted myself in a corner as to how i assemble the motor and found myslelf unable to get the rotor into the stator without the magnets pulling the sharp edge of the rotor into the coil windings . hence my first photo of the evening.
all 4 rotors are in the process of drying a 4,5 or 6th coat of super corna dope. for the 4,5 or 6th day now :evil:
stators.jpg

but then it gets better cuz i figured out how to wrap the rotor in paper and use it to guide the rotor in.
frontside.jpg

the aluminium plate is a work in progress :twisted: ill leave it up to you to guess for now what i will be using it for . and thud it wont be on the motor you get.
FIre up that dy no mo $ et er . one of them stators is gonna end up in your lap :twisted:

so now im set . i promised someone a few days ago that they would see the footage first and ill live up to that . so screw beer oclock AJ and get back to me . come morining im a posting it :wink:
bmx (making a rasberry sound) . CHOPPER dude CHOPPER

ok NOT the video i wanted to share but heres where its at .

I had it bolted to the bike and it took me half way around the block then i stripped part of the drive train. bike felt ballsy with more torque than what i used, after breaking it down to rebuild the drive train and try some other stators what you see in the vid is all it will do now. i have tried everything i can think of . i have a data cable and the esc is on the computer desk so if anyone seeing this wants some data let me know . there is no question the esc was having trouble out of the gate, and the data shows it as it logged a peak rpm of 18,000 and 60 amps. i can tell you it never saw that kind of rpm more likely 2000 max.

neither the motor or esc has gotten hot . not on the bike or bench .

data log shows prop strike at the point where it stopped working and failure to start for every attempt after that.

ive torn the motor down and it does look like one of the magnets rotated so im waiting for the epoxy to cure on that one and ill try again, but not for long. the kelly is lined up and primed for a try so that will be getting a solid shot at it today.

This is sensorless, right? Because it looks like what happens when sensors aren't working right.

My best guess is that something in the controller popped; if it uses current sensors on each channel perhaps one of them is no longer working. If current sensing is done via voltage across the FETs then one of the FETs (or sets of them) might not be working.

Is it getting signal on all three phase wires?

sensorless with the setup in the video yes

ill look at the log right now but otherwise how would i test if its getting signal from all 3 phases ?

and now my noob will really start to show :roll:

enoob,
BUMMER!
I shake my head every time looking at my data downloads....I have over peaked on every run & been close to thermaling out the lil' Ice100 on a few runs also. I am running 2 extra 1000uf caps (63v) low esr I bought just for the castle controller.
Did you have any extra caps on your input side?
As much as I am impressed with these tiny controllers, I would have to blame myself when one pops in this application. we are really stessing these like this.
I have an e-crazy man on the way & 1 of methods cap & shunt kits to make it do whatever my mood is atm.I may need to buy some better transistors but will cross that bridge when I get there. (I really don't see myself going past 75v) Keep us updated. I assumed we haddn't heard from you because you were out in the wilderness blasting avalanches on the snowmobiles :D
(i hope our F&P's are more to our liking.....if AJ comes thru that is) :twisted:

:) i may be down but im not out yet. tonight will tell

no extra caps . rather quickly i think ive become unsatisfied with rc controllers for this purpose, if im gonna have to start doin mods that require a soldering iron i think ill look at other options that will let me run the voltage up as well. as for the sledding , not been the best year but i did get a bluebird day in with fresh powder and aint nothing like a day like that. for our friends that dont get snow fresh means what it says, after it falls you only have a limited time before it (depending on weather) sets up or develops a crust. fresh its fluffy and flows nice and you can run off a 10 foot cliff and the landing feels like plopping on the couch.

as for the f&p . i too am thinking alot about that potential and the outlaw in me REALLY wants one in the triangle of a chopper bike. i wont say no to anything from down under but preliminary testing with a brand new unit free from defect or damage may be a good thing, been back to the site you linked to a few times and may just pull the trigger on one of them if this unit wont spin with the kelly. i figure if the hub motors the other dudes are playing with can do 100v 100a that f&p should handle something similar and maybe more amps as we are using gears and keeping the motor closer to its rpm limit.? hopefully?

Was catching up on some GOOD reading, and found this thread. THEN, it leaves one hanging :roll: :roll: :roll:

Where's the "Rest of the story". :?: :?: :?: :?:

) indeed . its what i ask myself when i get another beer and pass the thing sitting on the shelf

It will rise again but for the time being i figured it best to put my effort into actually getting a working ebike under me . the goal is to have a working setup that will allow me to swap this motor into thereby making it the only question mark .

another month and ill be back at this one and the f&p im sitting on.

Good to know it's in a "Resting" mode.

I'm off to Florida soon, for 15 days, and would like to carry anything back that will be useful in my quest for an E-vehicle of some sort. I would love to bring back the Motorcycle swingarm and related parts and the 500 Amp-30V aircraft starter-generator, for the E-3 wheel motorcycle build, when I find time to do IT.

I plan to cut up a few bikes for head posts and crank post sockets. Trying to figure a way to get my metal lathe and Milling machine down here. Got a larger horizontal bandsaw and wire feed Miller welder, sitting, doing nothing. :roll: :roll:

Probably be easier to sell out, here, and move back. :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: NAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Just need the Bride to sell a house. That will free up my income for projects. :) :)

COOOOOOEEEEEEEEEE....enooobz where are you?

Has anyone been in contact with enoob this past week?
I got word his chopper with the MARS was up and running and he was having a fun on it but then i haven't heard from him for best part of a week, i usually speak with him each day on MSN
getting worried something has happened to him, if anyone is in contact with him by phone can you ring Chad and make sure all is well and report back...?

Cheers

KiM

Anybody seen Enoob lately? Kinda worries me that he hasn't been around (hasn't even checked his PMs from what I can tell). I don't have any other way to contact him to find out. :(

amberwolf said:
Anybody seen Enoob lately? Kinda worries me that he hasn't been around (hasn't even checked his PMs from what I can tell). I don't have any other way to contact him to find out. :(

Used to talk to him daily on MSN and receive emails from him regularly, he hasn't logged into MSN in 6 months or sent a single email, gave up sending mails asking if all was well. Last i heared he was having problems with a boarder in an apartment under his own house that cleaned not only the apartment out but his house too. He said he was off to track the guurl down maybe he did something he shouldn't have and is on a 'vacation' at the gubmints expense :-S

KiM

Hum. Questions unanswered in many fronts with this thread
This is a rare inrunner building thread and I'm looking to make a much smaller inrunner for a skateboard. From what I've read so far with the 5.25cm x 23cm area between the wheels it seems an inrunner with about a 120kv would be able to handle converting roughly 700 watts to forward momentum with 30 or maybe even 24 volts. But finding a stator is showing to be hard or expensive in taking new motors apart. I don't want to do that. I read here a coreless/slotless/ironless stator likely wouldn't be suited at such few rpms which is ashame because I'm feeling coreless wouldn't be that hard to make with a plastic jig and saranwrap. I was hoping someone here could tell me again that it wont work and why? It's hard to find info on them. Or maybe I could salvage some small stators from something somewhere and glue them together?

Supposedly there's 5 to 5.5 cm stators in copiers I could find that are 12 tooth. Would 12 tooth be a good idea or am I after as many as I can get for torque? And then I'm thinking they're probably outrunners though.

Back