My much beloved bike has been stolen

Eujangles

100 W
Whelp, my bike just got stolen from outside my work. Stepped out 2 hours ago and it was still there, but finished my shift and it was gonzo. My own damn fault; I had a shitty lock as my "good one" broke and I procrastinated about getting a new one (I normally always locked it with both locks). I'm so mad I could cry right now.

End of an era for me...I am far too broke to replace it anytime soon...guess I will once again have to live vicariously through this forum.

Also: EFF YOU BIKE THIEVES!!!! SCREW YOU BASTARDS, SCUM OF THE EARTH JERKS!!! I HOPE THE FACT THAT MY BRAKES WERE SHITTY MEANS THAT ONE OF YOU WILL BE BOMBING DOWN A HILL TOWARDS AN INTERSECTION WHEN THEY FINALLY GIVE OUT AND YOU GET WHAT YOU DESERVE!!!

Argh.

Aw man, i am so sorry to hear that. Way too easy to steal a bike.. gone in 60 seconds? naw, gone in 5 seconds.. :(

Maybe your next one should be a folder with a small geared motor + lipo and/or li-mn/NMC that is light enough to take with you in the shady parts. just an idea..

Personally i won't even take my ebike to a place where i can't keep it inside.. already had 2 pedal bikes stolen.

Thanks man, much appreciated. Yeah, I'd thought about how easy it would be to steal before...especially with that garbage lock I had. Sigh...no one to blame but myself, but I guess the risk just didn't really seem real until it actually happened; so freaking stupid of me. When I (eventually) put together a new ride, you are absolutely right that I'm not leaving it outside anywhere.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way, dude.. ! sometimes that's what it takes to wake us up from complacency. I had a bunch of stuff stolen out of my car lately. Thank god my car wasn't stolen but i was being very lax about locking it..

That's part of what bothers me about no longer being able to take my bike into work with me; even locking it up right outside the front doors worries me, especially during the time after we close but before I can leave.

Bikes are the new horse, and the punishment for stealing a horse was often death by hanging. Let's go back to that.

Soon I won't have to worry about someone coming over the fence for my bikes. Our 5 month old Akita pup is already a monster, and he's showing great protective instincts already, so in another 6-9 months by bikes will be perfectly save as long as he doesn't eat them.

I won't leave mine anywhere out of site. Frickin thieves everywhere these days. I hope you called the cops. I wrote down the serial number on my motor just in case. Where I'm from, we can legally shoot thieves trying to steal something and running away. I'd rather cut their hands off though.

I have had 2 bikes stolen in So. Cal a 5303 48v lead slead and a bmc- ping 48v. The frist one I ran in for a water second one was locked. They watch you with a partner a 2 cellphones. Then the police don't what to be brothered with a report and are new police cheifs idea is lock or lose it as he addres the people. Sorry to hear of your lost. It is hard to get over. Just got my new bike running yesterday. And look at people looking at me in a different light. Hope to get over that.

Dude that sucks. :evil: My 1st ebike got stolen. Put the word out, maybe someone will see it.

wesnewell, shoot um in the leg to bring um down, then cut their hands off!

Eujangles

Sorry for your loss... Here in the armpit of Canada (Toronto) many folks have been buying the scooter-style ebikes (and lets not say anything more here about that) with one reason cited that they often come with alarm systems... For your next ride ya might consider adding an alarm system... I see there are now "stand alone" cable locks that have alarms in them...

Anywhooo... another recent rant from an ebiker that just had his ride stolen:
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/2557707017.html
to the pathetic cretin who stole my eBike (manayunk)
MAY YOU DIE IN PAIN, ALONE AND FRIENDLESS IN A FOREIGN LAND, HATED BY ALL WHO KNEW YOU, WHIMPERING AND TERRIBLY AFRAID, WHILE CHILDREN POINT AND LAUGH AT YOU, POKING YOUR QUIVERING, BLOODY PULP OF A BODY WITH SHARP STICKS. EVERYONE ELSE, HAVE A NICE DAY!

Hope this cheers you up a bit.

10cK

Sorry to hear that bro, go steal a car assholes!

Was it an ebike or pedal bike?

I want to plate my next build with a motorcycle license plate so that I can get it insured. I wonder if they make insurance for bicycles?

Sorry about your loss. It is just despicable. :evil: Probably sold it for cheep to get their fix. It reminds me to be diligent about securing my bikes. I just want to hit them with a baseball bat for you and all the rest of us who have had things stolen. I hope somehow you can retrieve it.....Good luck.

I was thinking about the increasing thieving culture just today, and it always ticks me off when a bike is stolen. One fella I know is probably right in thinking that thieves generally are dumber than rocks, to paraphrase. When someone steals a lug nut off your car and can't go down the street and save the hassle by paying 2 bucks for a brand new one, there must be a lot of dead space upstairs. No wonder some cultures have very strict punishments for theft. It destroys the efficient flow and productivity of society. :x

Wow, that sucks man, I commute to work as well, don't know what i would do if my bike got stolen. Did you file a police report? What model of lock was your bike locked up with? Just so we can all know to avoid that lock.

Eujangles said:
Whelp, my bike just got stolen from outside my work. Stepped out 2 hours ago and it was still there, but finished my shift and it was gonzo. My own damn fault; I had a shitty lock as my "good one" broke and I procrastinated about getting a new one (I normally always locked it with both locks). I'm so mad I could cry right now.

End of an era for me...I am far too broke to replace it anytime soon...guess I will once again have to live vicariously through this forum.

Also: EFF YOU BIKE THIEVES!!!! SCREW YOU BASTARDS, SCUM OF THE EARTH JERKS!!! I HOPE THE FACT THAT MY BRAKES WERE SHITTY MEANS THAT ONE OF YOU WILL BE BOMBING DOWN A HILL TOWARDS AN INTERSECTION WHEN THEY FINALLY GIVE OUT AND YOU GET WHAT YOU DESERVE!!!

Argh.

Sorry for your loss. I got a very new Giant, with front suspension, from the recycle store for $20. Watch Goodwill, Sally Ann, etc, they have bikes, cheap.
I watched a "bait bike" program in the UK not long ago. The activity was unbelievable. The cops had more luck that I have ever had fishing.
When I was a kid in Vancouver, we went anywhere, 24 hours a day and slept in the parks, or on the beach if we felt like it. We knew the neighbourhood cops first and last names. They were good people. Now there are many places we don't go in the daylight. I quit leaving things in my car or locking it, a long time ago. An unlocked car may get stolen, but it doesn't get you $1000 of uninsured damage in an attempt. Times are changing.

Ah man people steal and it sucks - I had a nice MT250 Honda stolen years ago and I know too well that feeling of "I know I parked it there?" Sorry about your loss but keep an eye on Craigslist/eBay, used bike ads. These low life's try to move 'em for quick cash.

Anybody look into motorcycle alarms? There's one that slips into 17.5-19.5mm tubing Handlebars maybe? http://www.evnatech.flyer.co.uk/pages/home.html I kinda like those pager alarms too.

I'm very lucky my employer (City required it by law last year) allows indoor bike parking in Manhattan. Only last week one of our crew didn't want to mess with bringing their new pedal bike indoors. Chained/locked outside in front of building with 2qty locks and sure enough it was gone in minutes.

I would love to see parking garages begin to adapt to eBike needs. Particularly where you might be able to arrange for a quick charge while parked securely. One of my co-workers with a Chevy Volt gets to charge at the garage he parks in midtown. His iPhone sends him SOC data, extremely cool.

Thanks everybody for the outpouring of support and condolences! Only you guys on this forum can truly know the horrifying loss of an ebike! Yes I did file a police report, but Vancouver is notorious for bike thefts, and no one ever seems to get them back (at least no one I've ever heard of). I can always hope though...

Lock:
Yes that actually does make me feel better thanks. Hehe kinda puts my rant to shame!

Someone asked it if it was an ebike? Yup :(

Also someone was wondering what kind of lock I had: it was a Mountain Equipment Co-op cable lock, about a centimeter and a half thick. I know, I know, the cable locks are useless, but like I said I was a moron about the whole thing anyways.

Yeah I have a feeling the people suggesting alarms are probably on to something...ah well for next time I suppose.

Thanks again everyone! I probably won't be back on the road till at least next summer, but the wait will just make my next ebike-grin that much sweeter.

sorry about the loss of youre ebike! we got bad theives in vic also,ive lost 4 bicycles not ebikes in 6 yrs.my ebike gets locked up with 3 different locks all small and pretty useless but ive learnt tight locking to a base stops alot.i use 2 big dog chokers plus small brass locks and a wire cheapo.i had a specialized stolen in van 3 yrs ago,i was pissed cuz it made me late for work and pissed off.just think of what you will build next and soon it will be in your life.

Ykick said:
Anybody look into motorcycle alarms? There's one that slips into 17.5-19.5mm tubing Handlebars maybe? http://www.evnatech.flyer.co.uk/pages/home.html I kinda like those pager alarms too.

I've been researching possible alarm systems for my bike for some time. Of all the systems I've looked at, this one is one of the best. It's pretty affordable too. I wonder how much shipping to the States would be. Think I'll fling them an email. Thanks for the link.

beast775 said:
sorry about the loss of youre ebike! we got bad theives in vic also,ive lost 4 bicycles not ebikes in 6 yrs.my ebike gets locked up with 3 different locks all small and pretty useless but ive learnt tight locking to a base stops alot.i use 2 big dog chokers plus small brass locks and a wire cheapo.i had a specialized stolen in van 3 yrs ago,i was pissed cuz it made me late for work and pissed off.just think of what you will build next and soon it will be in your life.

4 bikes. I'd set a trap after the first one. After the 2nd thief would get a very rude awakening by either a baseball bat or a painfully booby-trapped bait bike...Maybe just toss them off of the crocodile bridge at night.

Just an idea.

I know that I'm always on the lookout for other ebikers/ebikes. Perhaps you could post a couple of pictures of your bike so that we can keep an eye for it. If we spot it, we can let you know.

In fact, it wouldn't be bad for ES to have a "Stolen Bike Database" so that we can report stolen bikes and perhaps reunite owners with ebikes! 8)

Ambrose

Back