My ZERO 2011 DS to 2013 S upgrade( conversion)

Doctorbass

100 GW
I find the new 2013 zero really attractive, but i dont have the money to get one... and i already have a 2011 DS with low milleage.
so the solution?... Bring my DS2011 the look a 2013 S but with some of my own add on =)

Here is whatit will look like !:

I will replac ethe 2011 seat and gas tank fairing, and headlight , adjust the suspension for lower height, add 5kWh of LiFePo4 high current battery and replace the controller for a kelly 90V 600A that i will frive at 84V)

I might also add sme headway cylindrical blue cells for another 10Ah and for the look on each side of the actual battery.

I dont want to spend $$$ on the new rim so i will add some decal to the spokes and that will "simulate" the look of the multi branches 2012 rims =)

What do you think?

Doc

Attachments

• 2011 DS to 2013 S poster full rim lower frame 75.JPG
    2011 DS to 2013 S poster full rim lower frame 75.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 691
I am seriously considering getting one of these bikes next year.. I have always been anti motorcycle but pro bicycle , but the amount I ride and the conditions I am not far off
from a motorcycle so it's pretty appealing..

I love the look and I very much enjoy all your posts about this baby.. you have any vids of you out for a ride yet ? if so I have missed those.

I think it looks great keep us updated.

Wouldn't bother with the 'decals' on the spokes Doc, its a bit cheesey IMHO... jm2cw

Best of luck with it...

KiM

a little compare with the look..

Doc

Attachments

• 2011DS - 2013S conversion compare.JPG
    2011DS - 2013S conversion compare.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 3,418
Hi Doc,

AJ and Kepler are right those rim look strange to me better to get something like Zero S 2013 rims

Good day, my friend
Bruno

All right guys, i understand :lol: maybe too much is to much :)

I got a quote for the two rims and it would be about 500$ shipped for both, Plus the tires i would have to buy for that new size.. so total would probably be about 800$. maybe it doesn't worth it just for the look..

Good call. NO decals. :lol: 8) 8) Nice design you have laid out, Doc.

All right!

Maybe you preffer this version?

or the one without the Headway cells on each side ( 0.5kWh more and...for the look 8) )

Attachments

• 2011 DS to 2013 S poster full rim lower frame normal wheel800x600.JPG
    2011 DS to 2013 S poster full rim lower frame normal wheel800x600.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 3,292
  • 2011 DS to 2013 S poster full rim lower frame normal wheel no battery800x600.JPG
    2011 DS to 2013 S poster full rim lower frame normal wheel no battery800x600.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 3,292
Here is the main idea for the additional battery location:

The challenge will be to match the 16s LiFePo4 and the 14s stock LiMn together with their own BMS and have them to keep their protections... and to add the 25V 7s 2.5kWh LiFePO4 boost pack in serie with that to raise the voltage to 84V for TOP performances of the agni 95R.

As well all battery pack will have their own contactor and protection diodes for the cahrging system and discharging system. and the logic will not allow any overcharge or reverse current to one or more of the battery modules

Doc

The Stock zero have the Main Bike Board limiting the Alltrax to 300A battery current at 52V wich is about 15.4kW input and the motor efficiency is 90% so the output is about 14kW (20hp)

At 84V and 400A ( 33.6kW), the motor can output about 30kW during 5 sec wich is enough for great accelerations.

That's 40hp max !

To acheive that the 84V upgrade is necessary.

---Project 84V!!!----

Luke finally convinced me to go for 84V and wakup that great Agni 95R!

This will be acheived like this = 58V + 26V boostpack

the 58V consist of the stock 60Ah zero battery andthe 38Ah LiFePo4 i made for the first phas eof that project

total Ah at 58V(full) is 98Ah

The capacity of the 26V boost pack have to be also 98Ah because it will be connected in serie with these.

The 26V will be made of 7s LiFePo4 A123 cells or 6s bank of other zero battery i have.

if i go with the LiFePo4 idea,

the number of parallel cells have to be 98/2.2 = 44p

These A123 26650 M1 i measured have average of 2.2Ah

44p * 7s= 308 cells total

3.3v * 2.2Ah =7.26Wh per cell

308 cells * 7.26Ah = 2.236kWh

Now there is still alot of work to do !!

Assembling 308 26650 cells together to gave great thermal and current management...

meanwhile i am assembling a new pack for my Makita pack supplier. It's a 182 cells 18650 in 14s13p for about 1kWh. He will appreciate!

His older pack i made for him, the 144 cells last 5 years and thousands of km but now the Ri is nearly doubled so he need a replacement =)

that meain... i have to assemble like 452 cells guys!

Oh.. not to mention that i tested all single cells individually in capacity and RI !!! :lol: But the capacity mathcing will be with in the 0.2% error between all parallel bank!

Doc

Attachments

• Agni 95R at 78V.JPG
    Agni 95R at 78V.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 811
Hi Doc!

Nice to follow this post! Awesome work here!

How will you manage Charging/Balancing?

Tommy L sends....
mosh.gif

Hi Doc,

I prefer the look of the headway pack for this motorcycle, and you can paint the rim with the same blue color from the headway pack for the look, yes 84 Volt now you're talking my friend :wink:

Good day!
Black Arrow

BlackArrow said:
Hi Doc,

I prefer the look of the headway pack for this motorcycle, and you can paint the rim with the same blue color from the headway pack for the look, yes 84 Volt now you're talking my friend :wink:

Good day!
Black Arrow

I thought the same until I previewed it.
It's ok but I think a gunmetal grey seems the perfect match to me.

2011sblue.jpg

2011sgunmetal.jpg

mushymelon said:
I thought the same until I previewed it.
It's ok but I think a gunmetal grey seems the perfect match to me.

Hi your right with the grey rim is amazing wow I love it, thank you!
Black Arrow

Oh great! I already have 4 rims of the 2010 zero and theya re black really similar to that greygun!

Doc

Black or Grey Gun for the rims looks the best to me too!

Tommy L sends..... \\m//
mosh.gif

Here is an overview of the final version of the battery connectoin i chossed:

( no worrie i will replace the actual Alltrax controller adn will replace it by a 90V 600A Kelly =) so it will be able to take 84V on a fully charged battery. Also, the stock 14s LiMn BMS of the zero will remain intact and will continu to manage the zero battery. All the serie and parallel battery i will add will be independent BMS protected and all will have a diode to avoid reverse current problems. Also the recharge will be protected with diodes. The main zero 3kwh battery will be the master of the 2 extra battery so if the main contactor is not active or if any LVC will be detected, the two second battery will disconect.

Doc

Attachments

• Overview of the project.JPG
    Overview of the project.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 2,987
dnmun said:
i have an 8S v2.5 signalab BMS if you wanna hack it like the other ones for your big 8S pack.

Thanks for the offer dnmun, I already have one 8s that i will jump the last channel for having 7s I apprecaite your offer anyway :wink:

Doc

ok, not 8S but 7S, you only have to jumper the LVC opto since the HVC opto is a no op with no cell present.

i have even thought about hacking the shunt resistors on that v2.5 to double the shunt current too. just solder a 2-3W leaded resistor above the array of surface mount resistors. i think the mosfet will handle up to 150mA. so a 27-33 ohm resistor in parallel with the surface mounts would get you into that range.

dnmun said:
ok, not 8S but 7S, you only have to jumper the LVC opto since the HVC opto is a no op with no cell present.

i have even thought about hacking the shunt resistors on that v2.5 to double the shunt current too. just solder a 2-3W leaded resistor above the array of surface mount resistors. i think the mosfet will handle up to 150mA. so a 27-33 ohm resistor in parallel with the surface mounts would get you into that range.

I see what you mean, but improoving that shunt resistor by installing a 27ohm, will add about 3.7/27= 140mA And 140mA at 3.7V is about 1/2 watt so why suggesting a 2-3W resistor ehen a 1W woudl be enough?

i was thinking if it took about 80-90mA then it would make almost 1 1/2W of heat. but i may be off by an order of magnitude. but i was thinking in terms of the size of the pack you have to balance. seems like the 60mA will be so tiny compared to the size of that pack. but you have the big balance charger now too.

dnmun said:
i was thinking if it took about 80-90mA then it would make almost 1 1/2W of heat. but i may be off by an order of magnitude. but i was thinking in terms of the size of the pack you have to balance. seems like the 60mA will be so tiny compared to the size of that pack. but you have the big balance charger now too.

Yes, you are right about the ratio of Ah and the bleed resistor current, but i matched the cells perfectly after i measured all them individually. it should hold dozens of cycles before any need to keep it balancing for long time. that will have to be tested. I have installed some balance leed able to take 8A continuous that shold help.

Doc

Back