NCR2170M Cells?

Hi,

has any used or know of NCR2170M cells?
there's a bunch of used (not cycled) ones for sale, a couple of questions;
- could they be called something else? the only specs I can find for NCR2170M are here

- and they don't appear to have a cap on the positive side, and as they're aluminum, is welding them very difficult?
I've got a spot welder that I've used for nickel on 18650, but have no clue about what's needed for welding on aluminium.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 5.55.15 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 5.55.15 PM.png
    705.1 KB · Views: 5
I cannot easily navigate nor make sense of that website with the cell specs. It’s like marketing got ahold of the data sheet and birthed a beauitful webpage that makes it hard to assess the cell.

If you are saying that the can of the cell is aluminum, I offer to you a short conversation of when I recently had trouble spot welding aluminum cans: BAK N18650CP - aluminum can, spot welding difficulty

After I figured out that I needed to grind away the oxide layer, it worked out okay. But I will never be buying cells with aluminum cans ever again (if I intend to spot weld them.)

I cannot easily navigate nor make sense of that website with the cell specs. It’s like marketing got ahold of the data sheet and birthed a beauitful webpage that makes it hard to assess the cell.

If you are saying that the can of the cell is aluminum, I offer to you a short conversation of when I recently had trouble spot welding aluminum cans: BAK N18650CP - aluminum can, spot welding difficulty

After I figured out that I needed to grind away the oxide layer, it worked out okay. But I will never be buying cells with aluminum cans ever again (if I intend to spot weld them.)
Thanks,

that website does seem pretty random!
appreciate your insight/experience into welding aluminum, that's enough to make me steer away from getting these, plus the lack of specs. I'll probably end up going with Amorge any way, I've built packs for skateboards and bikes, but nothing as big as this, so a little hesitant to build myself.

You don't want them:
- They're shipped not fully formed.
- Designed to be laser welded on the positive centre and the negative shoulder the same side.
- Impossible to resistance weld.
And very low C rate.

No good for DIY

If it is aluminium you can also vibrationally cap the cans. granted, again, not something that most people have... (but I absolutely want one)

that is a company that is stuck on the concept that the math is always right.. which it is.. Until you input a bit of incorrect datum.

This is how NASA turned a space ship into a pretty sparkle in the martian sky.

I have worked with Cadence machines in a building that was slaved to the MatLab guys and managed the modeling farm.

They produced 25 prototypes of the desired item.

One eventually did end up getting produced and worked. Meanwhile the other company working on the same concept had a working prototype up by the 4th week they existed and continued to refine it. Can ya guess who is still around and got all the funding?

Starting with MatLab is a mistake, because you will only see what the chap setting it up thinks of.

Back