[nearly original] An update on what I know from my end

Status
Not open for further replies.
StudEbiker said:
Bummer. The Sphere is dead ...... long live the Sphere!

arg... Not dead!
Just getting ready

-methods

I just spend whole Sunday afternoon catching up with this mess and still not sure if I getting this right.
Trevor will be the only one here that loose here, as I see it. This forum will retain its value only if it survives and I think it will not. At least not as it was.
It pisses me when someone makes money on someones elses effort but knightmb was owner of a domain where we posted so he, basicly, can do with it what he wants.
I don't think that we need to make backups because this content in any other form is usseles. It will take some serious monney to make it useful. Even if ther will be new forum I think it will be better to make fresh start. ES will be here with all its data. Must say I like an idea of new forum because I have lot of trouble searching even my own posts here.

Moving is the only option and always has been from the moment the decision was made to monitise the forum, I see the last two days discussing ' what bad things your all going to do to old Trev as a complete waste of time, we could of spent the weekend transferring our own information to a new home rather than siting on ES moaning about something that won't be changing, unless of course one of you is willing to reimburse Trev the 25k our so he's shelled out for ES???......no, I didn't think so

KiM

Perhaps, this should be the only thread we post in as we wait for our new home.

Well said KiM.

Flight, the crew is crossing gantry for capsule Ingress. So long sphere. :(

My opinion is I find it very distasteful to pay to rebuy what should have never been sold. KnightMB might have had a legal right to sell the content to trever but it was also our content and I would not want to put a penny in the hands of either.

I say we move on, let tevers investment die. He can take it up with KMB if he likes.

Trevor is back in contact again.
He communicated his intent

Negotiations are going on furiously
Everyone at the negotiating table is fairly well pissed with me now for stirring up the hornets nest :|

I believe we will have a resolution by the end of the day.
Lets just make sure that there are no more threats or nasty talk about Trevor - that is the only thing that is NOT OK and could result in major legal headaches.

Dig for those pictures - keep busy saving off the most important stuff so we can rebuild it if we ever need to.
Just our insurance plan.

Trevor has made no threats - he just wants some time to negotiate. It is me who is being impatient over here :twisted:

- methods

AussieJester said:
Moving is the only option and always has been from the moment the decision was made to monitise the forum, I see the last two days discussing ' what bad things your all going to do to old Trev as a complete waste of time, we could of spent the weekend transferring our own information to a new home rather than siting on ES moaning about something that won't be changing, unless of course one of you is willing to reimburse Trev the 25k our so he's shelled out for ES???......no, I didn't think so

KiM

EXACTLY, we loose nothing. Take the collective knowledge and leave the body for the vulture.

Edit because of new post
-if negotiations don't work

I think someone should take Bigmoose's idea and find out what Trevor will take for a legal backup. And I would kick in a few thousand to make it happen.
And I trust the moderators we have here to run things well. all we need is a server well hosted and a domain.

This was a horrible thing to come back to after a few days.

Stephen

Just woke up late today;
I knew shit wasn't going to get settled. I knew the rosy outcome would not come. Trevor isn't getting his money back, nor should any of us, even those with deep pockets, be paying for our content that was never for sale in the first place.

If you were smart about posting and hosted your images on your own server or some other external service, break them now until a resolution comes. You can't win against backups of the server that contain all our content, but you CAN break all your image links.

I don't know what Luke has up his sleeve, but mwkeefer has some servers ready to go and a few domain names. We have dozens of other domain names at our disposal that were bought in a panic as well. I have resources and $ to throw at this as well, but i want the community to come to agreement on what to do.

You guys who are actually invested in this forum say when, and i will notify the ES facebook group where the new spot is to talk about BIKES not BUSINESS !! :p

Ready to walk the plank
-David

I agree, moving is the only way to ensure that neither one of those two guys profits from our collective IP. I hope Trevor can get his money back from knightmb. That way, neither one of them ends up with anything, and we're long gone.

I've got copies of all my relevant pictures, schematics, PCB layouts, building and test instructions, BOMs, etc. I will just start new archive threads with what is still relevant.

The only thing I have some mixed feelings about is that everybody gets their post count reset. Actually, screw that. Mine isn't high enough to make it on Miles' timeline thread anyway. :roll: :mrgreen:

-- Gary

My original signature handled this perfectly, and I should not have toned it down.

#1. Backup YOUR content worth saving. It takes a few hours. Big whoop.

#2. Be prepared to delete your content. You never consented for its commercial useage.

#3. The nuclear option and moving to a new forum makes the most sense from most every perspective once people have followed steps #1 and #2.

It is not our responsiblity to back Tevors business dealings. Its not even our responsibility to talk about them or even get involved. Everybody take a few hours to copy and paste your posts and pics into a doc (I suggest orginizing by subject), and now we aren't tied to anything.

Also, as much as I hate lawywers, I have buddies in Microsoft's legal dept. They litterally can type names and the subject its concerning into a box form letter template, and it generates a 450page motion document they serve that costs over 100k in legal fees minimum just to correctly respond to, and if its not perfectly addressed on every point, they win by default. Its crooked as, well, as crooked as American business law, but if push comes to shove, these guys will do anything for me, and MS's legal dept is single handedlt bigger and more powerful than entire the entire legal workers of most countries.

sabb said:
I think someone should take Bigmoose's idea and find out what Trevor will take for a legal backup. And I would kick in a few thousand to make it happen.
And I trust the moderators we have here to run things well. all we need is a server well hosted and a domain.
Stephen

If treveo would take $2k for the forum, we wouldn't have this impasse. We already have copies. What we need and can't afford, because trever won't take $2k for it, is the whole damn forum.

NO THREATS!

Fark Luke?!?! Really?

Plan for the worst but hope for the best guys
Just pack.
Dont make threats

-methods

Trevor is a business man. Like all business men I'm sure he has his price. Let's just hope he has the common
sense to cut his losses and be reasonable. A scorched forum is worthless to him. Unlike finances, knowledge truly
does trickle down and I want to be around the best and the brightest and asuradly, they will jump ship if this thing
becomes a "monotised" mess

Although I'm pretty new to the forums and E-bikes, I still feel like I have a dog in this fight as part of this community/movement.
Gen. M and gang, I'll certainly be making the jump with you never to return if need be.

J

This is a simple problem at its core.

KnightMB sold defective goods.

Trevor bought defective goods he thought he could make an income source.

When you make an investment, you take a gamble with your finances on the hope it will pay off. If they always paid off, it wouldn't be called investing, it would be called magic money factory.

This doesn't make it our problem. Justin is not Trevor's FDIC to protect and back his poor investing. We don't owe Trevor anything more than if he put 50,000usd on a horse at the track and it lost. Copy your content, its yours, nobody can take it from you. We can move to a new place, and if we want to be extremely nice (like if Trevor duly cooperates in every way possible), we could leave some content here as gifts.

John in CR said:
+1 Time to move on and make our community even better and impervious to corruption by money.

Yep
Seriously, who other than someone that can calculate the ad revenue from the posts / visits per day to find the eventual payoff would be interested in paying thousands of dollars for our ramblings?

I don't want our biggest contributors and brightest people wasting their money on buying something that was never for sale.
You buy it, and then you are an interested party, much like Trevor.

I respect what Methods etc. have done to this point, but i don't want another master.
I am leary of whoever gives this guy the thousands of dollars he needs to buy the site back. The idea of everyone chipping in has not even been discussed on any of these threads by the negotiators.

neptronix said:
I respect what Methods etc. have done to this point, but i don't want another master.
I am leary of whoever gives this guy the thousands of dollars he needs to buy the site back. The idea of everyone chipping in has not even been discussed on any of these threads by the negotiators.

Then start the discussion bro.
We are not your masters, you are your master.... and you know Justin would never lord over you so dont even think about inferring that.

-methods

I love Justin, but damn it, Luke is right. It is not our responsibility, nor Justin's, to make good on the scam Trevor fell into with knightmb. He's got a hell-of-a legal case, IMO, so let him do battle to get all his money back from knightmb.

We need to move on folks, plain and simple. If Justin wants to put up some up front money, to help the cause, I'd much rather see him spend it on getting a new forum up and running on his servers. Either way, he needs to get reimbursed, of course.

-- Gary

methods said:
neptronix said:

Then start the discussion bro.
We are not your masters, you are your master.... and you know Justin would never lord over you so dont even think about inferring that.
-methods

Many of us have asked the question "Why do we owe Trevor anything?" Please answer this question. I am sure, I have made many financial decisions far worse than this one. I have never felt anyone owed me for my mistakes. Life does not work this way.

methods said:
NO THREATS!

Fark Luke?!?! Really?

Plan for the worst but hope for the best guys
Just pack.
Dont make threats

-methods

Not a threat Patrick, just addressing Dave's concern that they might try to sue in the event we move our personal content to a new board. Just making it known we have plenty of effective defense from this happening. It would be like pulling the pin on a grenade and sitting on it for them.

methods: to be honest, i just plain don't like the idea of a vendor or interested party owning a forum, no matter how angelic they are. You and Justin are great guys, but on principle it is a bad idea and there should be a separation of church and state.. ;)

Maybe that's a little extreme of me. But i know that there is a lot of money on the table here, probably in the neighborhood of $10k. You had better get something other than ES's honor for that pricetag.

So here is the big question, fellow members; would you rather buy your site back or move on?

methods said:
Trevor is back in contact again.
He communicated his intent

Negotiations are going on furiously
Everyone at the negotiating table is fairly well pissed with me now for stirring up the hornets nest :|

I believe we will have a resolution by the end of the day.
Lets just make sure that there are no more threats or nasty talk about Trevor - that is the only thing that is NOT OK and could result in major legal headaches.

Dig for those pictures - keep busy saving off the most important stuff so we can rebuild it if we ever need to.
Just our insurance plan.

Trevor has made no threats - he just wants some time to negotiate. It is me who is being impatient over here :twisted:

- methods

IIRC you are the one who was doing the massive name calling. I do not mean to sound negative, but your comments here are hypocritical..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back