• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Need help finding "saved" draft of started thread...

TommyCat

10 kW
I saved a draft that I was working on in spurts. Seemed that I had found how to get it to re-appear at one time. But now am having no luck finding it.
Would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction, as I've invested a bit of time in the original. :confused:

Regards,
T.C.

Oooh i'm sorry, i have bad news for you.
Our system was set to save drafts for 36 hours.. if you haven't edited the draft for 1.5 days, it gets automatically chucked.

I changed this to 7 days. This won't restore your content but hopefully lowers the chance of this happening by a lot.

Hi Nep,
Thank you for the quick and straightforward, albeit disappointing answer.

The internet ATE my paper! :eek:

Looking at options going forward, 7 days is an improvement for sure. Does this dooms day time clock restart its countdown with every addition to the draft thread content, and subsequent re-save? (Any chance for a 14-day reprieve?)
On a posted thread, are edits restricted? (number and/or frequency).
On a posted thread, any way to lock out replies until construction is completed? Besides of course just a request in the text...

If I get in deep, I'll be sure to save the text in some word text document just to be sure.

You could “reserve” a couple of blank posts under the main one and indicate they are for future content.

IAlternatively if the admins lock it down, and you wait a few days, it will naturally move out from the active threads, then you can edit without it moving back to the top. That’s what I do for my build thread since editing doesn’t trigger updating the posting date.

Unfortunately the stock behavior is to indicate nothing about the timeout, so we don't know it's behavior.. if it bumps things as you put in successive edits.

I advise not relying on this feature for keeping big drafts. I'd use another medium.

The WYSIWYG editor on this site can accept copy and pastes from Microsoft Word/any equivalent/web browsers, including images, formatting and links.

Entire posts on this site can also be copied and pasted without much if any formatting loss. So you can use practically anything as a temporary work area for a big post.

E-HP's idea is what people have classically done on here.

Back