Need help planning and researching a Enduro E-bike framed e-bike build

OmniosTom

10 mW
Greetings all! I have been researching and looking at e-bikes for many years and this fall decided that I would like to purchase an e-bike in the spring of 2021. I started off looking at the Emmo Bison e-bike with 48V/20Ah Lithium: for $2,999 Canadian dollar purchased locally in Canada. Though I like the Bison e-bike frame I question the quality of the motor and electronic parts in it though the battery will probably be ok. Anyways got thinking about the parts on the Bison and figured I could build my own e-bike with frame and parts from overseas though I am currently looking at sourcing a hub mount motor and controller from ebikes.ca in Vancouver Canada.

Currently I am looking at building a custom e-bike with an Enduro style e-bike frame an so far have looked at a frame from enduroebike .com and also found a enduro like frome from elecycles com. I am looking for a source of Enduro bike like frames that have good quality and a half descent price probably from China but would be interested in having it sourced from Taiwan. I am also wondering if it would make sense to import e-bike frames to sell in Canada.

I am also looking for a source of hub mount motors but they would have to be of the highest quality and have excellent durability.

So my Budget is about $3k Canadian and biggest problem I have looking for stuff is finding a supplier that is legit and selling premium parts.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• emmo-bison.jpg
    emmo-bison.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 547
  • ebikes.jpg
    ebikes.jpg
    690.6 KB · Views: 547
OmniosTom said:
I am also looking for a source of hub mount motors but they would have to be of the highest quality and have excellent durability.
What is your reference point for "high quality" and "excellent durability" (and under what specific conditions must they be durable)?

I ask because most of the typical hubmotors out there, even the "high end" ones are made with less than stellar materials, less than stellar designs, and less than stellar "qc". Even the best common types I've seen, like QSMotors, are still not what I would call "high quality", or "excellent durability".

There are some that are made very well in all those categories, like what I have seen of TDCM's stuff, but I don't know if they are of the power level you're after (which you don't mention).

amberwolf said:
OmniosTom said:
There are some that are made very well in all those categories, like what I have seen of TDCM's stuff, but I don't know if they are of the power level you're after (which you don't mention).
Looking to use it for roads with 500Watt to 750Watt Usage

Enduro Motorcycle looking ebike on 500 watts to 750 watts.
Not a good combo for a heavy enduro ebike frame.
You'd need a minimum of Leaf 1500W or ideally MXUS 45H which is 3kw, or equivelent QS motor.
From my half ass search for Emmo Bison e-bike those are 2wd, you doing 2wd?

OmniosTom said:

OmniosTom said:

Then the TDCM stuff would be just fine, and is definitley going to be better quality than the common hubmotors in the same range.

Some of the motors they make used to be called Ultramotor (they may still brand them with that), and I have one from a Stromer ebike that is now being used to help push a very heavy cargo trike (the SB Cruiser). Mine came wiht a built in ocntroller, but that's only usable on the Stromer with other stromer parts, so I removed that and drive it witha generic external. There's a thread by me about that motor and the process, around here somewhere, with Stromer in the title. There are also A2B bikes (metro, etc) using these motors, and quite a few people liked the motor itself so much they did what I did when the internal controller or the external electronics eventually had a problem. (or rather, I did what they did, since they almost all did it before me. ;) ).

They also make motors with geared hubs built in, so you don't have to use a derailer and can have a single-speed-chainline, whcih would probably be easier to use on a bike frame style like you want. This is one example, shown here available in a kit with controler, cycle analyst, etc:
https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-kits/tdcm-igh.html
but available separately.

Side note: AFAICR all those EEB frames that I've read of here on ES are made cheaply and often poorly, and are way heavier than a good bike frame has to be, as they probably all (or mostly) use cheap basic steel rather than good cromoly/etc. Or if aluminum, using heavy thick cheap stuff instead of tougher thinner stuff. There's a lot of threads for various EEB type frames, under titles and posts with EEB, Enduro, etc., if you look around to see what people think of them.

So if you're looking for "the highest quality" and "durable" motor, I'd think you would also want that for your frame...and I just don't know that you'll find an EEB frame that meets those. (although, of course, *one* of them *is* the highest quality EEB frame...just that that quality level isn't likely comparable to the highest regular bike frame quality).

Any ole major brand name bicycle frame will do for a 500 or 750W hub motor. You'd be far better off with a 1992 Chromoly cro-mo frame or newer frame. The pro's for a 1992 cromo frame is they are a dime a dozen, throw your hub motor kit on that and if you enjoy the sport go and buy a newer bicycle and slap your ole hub motor kit on a newer whatever your into, full suspension, front suspension, rigid whatever. Just the newer stuff gets into thru axles and tapered head sets which can cost more to replace. And you cant use 99% of hub motors on thru axles.

markz said:
Any ole major brand name bicycle frame will do for a 500 or 750W hub motor. You'd be far better off with a 1992 Chromoly cro-mo frame or newer frame. The pro's for a 1992 cromo frame is they are a dime a dozen, throw your hub motor kit on that and if you enjoy the sport go and buy a newer bicycle and slap your ole hub motor kit on a newer whatever your into, full suspension, front suspension, rigid whatever. Just the newer stuff gets into thru axles and tapered head sets which can cost more to replace. And you cant use 99% of hub motors on thru axles.

Not sure of exact weight of the Enduro bike frame but it is different than the full metal box frame in pictures above an is made with a metal box frame with plastic external panels. The Bison e-bike uses the same frame in the pictures above and weights 55KG but is still about half the waight of a scooter style e-bike. Also I wanted a Enduro style e-bike frame for many years after watching a YouTube video of an enduro style e-bike in Russia. Also where I live in Canada I will have less legal hassles with an Eduro style bike than a bike kit.

Gave up on looking for the Enduro style e-bike frames from aliexpress com for price reasons and also reading there is no quality guarantee so you are taking your chances and the higher end priced versions are still pretty expensive. Currently I am looking at possibly getting a Qulbix e-bike frame from Europe.

I recently got a frame from Aliexpress which I highly rate, the seller is called NBEBIKES Store and they make the frames themselves.

There are cheaper alternatives on sale in the UK but I heard about bad fitting parts so I went with one that had some good feedback and I am glad I payed the extra.

I am still waiting on parts to build mine, but let me know if you want any pictures.

Back