Need help to compute max dist,speed for a DIY fiction drive

wetpwet

1 µW
Hi, 1st post and I'm new to e-bikes and I want to convert my existing bicycle but I can not find an affordable kit so I want to build a friction drive kit. But before that I want to know if it is worth the cost and benefits.

Please check if my math is right

-I'm looking at "Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6364-245kv Brushless Outrunner Motor" with Max Loading: 70A
Does this mean if I have a 6s battery my max speed is 64.589 Km/hr?
I used this formula
Code:
Speed = pi * diameter * KV * voltage * 60min/hr * 1km/1000000mm
      = 3.1416 * 63mm * 245turns/volt * (3.7 * 6)volts * 60min/hr * 1km/1000000mm

-For the battery, I'm inspired by one of the post here "yet another solderless DIY battery pack via NIB's"
I'll be using "Samsung 3000mAh INR18650-30Q" with Max. Continuous Discharging Current: 15A
So if I do not pedal with 6s5p (22.2volts with 15AH capacity), I'll have 0.2142hours or 12.85 mins
Code:
Time = battery capacity / motor load
     = 15AH / 70A

-and the distance without pedal will cover is 13.84KM
Code:
Distance = Speed * Time
         = 64.589 * 0.2142

I know things above are ideal so I probably lose about 20% in speed and distance. Most of the time I only bike about 20KM, once in a while 60KM.

Can anyone suggest a good ESC or at least what should I look for?

I also need a way for the simple trigger/switch and can somebody explain how to connect this to the ESC. Most of my references are RC videos on youtube and they use wireless controllers that I do not need.

Since I'm still in the planning stage I'm open to suggestions.

Wow, way too much math for me. But heres a number you might find useful.

64 kph will take close to 3000w in power. Not 3000w cruising, but 3000w peak, so that when geared right, the motor is capable of a loaded speed at that rpm that will reach 64kph. The motor will pull less hard, the closer it gets to its no load rpm, so it gets complicated.

But at the minimum, you need to build for 3000w peak power, or more. Any less will result in a lower max speed.

Has anyone built a 40 mph friction drive? I don't hang out in the non hub section. It's not that expensive to build a 40 mph hub motor bike. The battery gets pricy yes, but not that much for a cheap direct drive hub motor kit, and a 72v 40 amps controller to upgrade it to 3000w, and 40 mph.

Back