New Bike! 19 MILE COMMUTER

eTrike said:
This should net a system capable of 20 miles at 20mph with minimal pedaling ime...

I don't think it will manage 20mph with anything less than fervent pedaling (for 19 miles). This battery is not up to snuff. Tomorrow i am going to drive to the next town closer to work and bike from there. It's about 8 miles from that town to work so i can have a little fun on the way :mrgreen:

Hopefully by the late winter i will have built my dream battery pack, 14S7P :shock: I'd like to use a different cell than GA though. Maybe 25R, MJ1, but i really like the sound of the HG2's. 30Q's?? Ahh i digress.
Thanks for Being
Mündawg

Mundawg, where are you located?, just curious. Thanks for posting your questions and results, always fun to read about other ebikers. I have a 52V 15 aH pack driving a DD Crystalite, and can get about 40 miles if I keep it under 15 mph with no pedaling. If I romp on it and ride at 25 to 30 mph (no pedaling), range drops to about 17 to 20 miles. Have fun. 8)

BEWARE!

DO NOT BUY Panasonic GA battery packs or cells from Luna Cycles!!!!! Please save yourself the headache!!

I rode my bike from my house to the county courthouse to pay my speeding ticket today. It is 1.8 miles from my doorstep to the door step of the courthouse. The courthouse is next to the river, my house is directly up the mountain from the courthouse. The ride THERE was basically all downhill so i only coasted with some occasional bursts of throttle on short straight-aways. The way HOME is all up hill. I used PAS 3 and full throttle ( i really didn't want to pedal) the whole way back to my house up the mountain.

The moment i started going up hill the voltage sagged, a lot!! It went from 5 bars of battery to 3 bars of battery (on the bbshd display) within the first 40' of climbing. I was maintaining the optimal gearing the whole way but i had to switch to PAS 2 because i was afraid i was killing the battery. When i got home the battery is surprisingly drained. I know that hill climbing is tough but i really expected quality cells like these and an expensive pack like this to hold up a little more.

I am not sure if Luna is using knock-off cells or what is up. But i am VERY disappointed with the performance of this battery. I highly recommend ya'll to stay away from these GA cells and packs from Luna Cycles. Also, the charger i was sent with my battery from Luna Cycles sparks when i plug it into a wall outlet. So i am trying to get a replacement because i am not risking an electrical fire.
All around i am very bummed. The bike is a no good if the battery can't provide the necessary amp draw or Ah life expectancy.
Thanks for Being,
Mündawg

I wasn't implying they were fraudulently ripping people off, just that maybe they used fake or B cells unknowingly. Or maybe there was an error in production of the packs or BMS.
edit: I also was not saying to stay away from Luna Cycles as a distributor. But to stay away from "these GA cells and packs from Luna Cycles". Just wanted to clear that up

You know, the stock steel chainring is not the right chainring for efficiently climbing mountains. If you do not have it geared right you really can't say anything for certain.

Also I would not climb a mountain until I had properly broken in the battery, regardless of the cell makeup. Maybe some people would disagree with me on that but treating it gently for the first half dozen cycles is a small price to pay for extra peace of mind.

Back