New build help required

Lynd

10 µW
Hi all, 1st time forum user so please forgive any errors in rules or etiquette, point them out & I'll learn.
UK based, unfit in my 40s (approx 90kg) just got back into cycling. Got a 20+ yr old steel frame hybrid (Marin Larspur) I'd like to convert with a Tongsheng TSDZ2 (throttle version to use as temp sensor) so I can go riding with cousin. Lots of steep hills in South Wales valleys (15 - 20% + gradients) making me get off & push. Currently running Shimano Acera triple chainrings with 8 speed cassette (11t-34t I believe). Are these motors reliable, have they fixed all the programming issues I've read about
Q1. I like to pedal leisurely approx 70/80rpm, so would I be better suited to a 36v 350w kit or a 48v 350w kit. People keep telling me 48v but I'd like to keep bike light as possible so I can use assistance only when needed. Bigger motor needs bigger battery = more weight plus extra wear on drivetrain due to the power. Range is more important than speed for this build.
Q2. Keep reading about chainline issues, does anyone know how to overcome this?
Q3. I've seen double chainrings for this kit, 34t/42t and 42t/52t. I have a 50t/34t compact on my road bike & would think a 52t/34t double would be more useful but can't seem to find any?
Q4. Would love to find a battery that fits my seat tube bottle mounts so I can keep my downtube water bottle but not found any, do they exist & where?
Q5. Can anyone point me in the direction of a reputable seller as 350w kits are frowned upon in UK with their 250w limits
Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'll probably have few more questions along the way as I will be stripping bike for respray & converting it to drop bars
Cheers all

The people who have allot of work/experimentation with that little motor are

casainho , who writes often about his work he has done on the TSDZ2 , I don't know if he sells them.
and
http://recycles-ebike.com/17-tongsheng-tsdz2

They are the ones to contact about your questions. You can PM them ( contact them privately ) , since Endless Sphere does not like vendors using regular threads to promote their products. Probably the result of past vendors spamming educational threads.

A 48 volt or better yet a 52 volt battery pack is just a little more than a 36 volt one. And they will add up to a larger amount of watt hours total in the pack.

How long are your rides going to be ?
However
Since you say you are going up steep hills , then you are better off having a larger pack anyway.

Thank you both for your prompt reply, was worried post be there for months gathering dust as you boys are light years ahead in knowledge & experience.
The hybrid is real comfortable ride, 700C × 35mm rubber & spring in seatpost so distance dependant on effort although flat bar numbness limits me 90 mins to 2 hrs max riding hence the drop bar conversion. On road bike I'm limited to approx 45 - 50 miles before I come to one of these crazy climbs. They can be short (e.g, >20% - >25% for few hundred yards) or longer climbs with various gradients averaging maybe 12 - 15% can last few miles.
Due to my lack of knowledge/experience/mechanical skills, reliability & durability are my primary concerns hence my reluctance to use 500w/750w as suggested by some fun lovers on here. Those I'm saving for a second build that'll be used for a fun bike. Planning 2nd build b4 starting 1st build, hope it's just the excitement & not addiction lol

:lol:
Too late, you're addicted... :wink:

Being able to climb crazy hills is all about gearing (and grip). With a higher wattage mid drive you don't have to down shift as far as with a lower wattage system. And as a result it just takes a little longer to reach the top due to the lower speed.

My current cassette I believe is a megarange (11t -34t) I believe which I've read they have stopped making. £100 for Claris sti's I'm thinking I'd get better deal buying complete groupset, replacing Tektro brakes on roadie with proper Claris ones and using sti's with adapter for vbrakes. 35mm tyres are a lovely ride & fast enough to pass roadies with the 53t big ring, they getting on bit now so would upgrade to tubelessential when funds allow.

As long as the 36v will get me up the hill.I definately think that's the way to go, & tge fitter /lighter I get the leas assist I'll need til I can climb it.on my roadie. This build would then become explorer bike with phone on to tube bag with google maps & gps running off battery usb. The built is specific because it has a specific purpose, it's my misfortune to have specific needs but after reading bits of this forum for.past few weeks, there definitely people here clever enough to help my build what I want, the hard part in putting what's in my head into what's your head if you know whst I mean

The TSDZ kits I've seen are either 36v or 48v, I haven't seen a 52v version & think that would be too powerful for my needs

Back