New Crystalyte 5403 Review by Doc

Maybe it's a question of revision.... :?:

Lowracer got a X5-404....

file.php

And i got a 5403 :? wich seem to be the supposed more realistic version number...

file.php

Doc

that is one seriously tubby motor. cant wait to see what you do with it doc. thats if it'll fit!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

now I want to see some pics/vids of it on your bike... which will likely be accompanied by a little pool of piddle, a sign that your bike is just a little scared of the thing you just shoved up its ass.

Doc - many thanks for sharing all this information, much appreciated!!!

there was a long discussion about the weight in the initial 5404 thread and we all knew this motor was going to be 15kg..

although i "disputed" the weight given Lowracer example.

i had same as lowracer in my hands for short time and it did weigh less and looked somehow smaller

https://picasaweb.google.com/109200118817316198214/HS3540Vs5404

do you think it will fit 135mm frame [like your KMX?]

wojtek said:
Doc - many thanks for sharing all this information, much appreciated!!!

there was a long discussion about the weight in the initial 5404 thread and we all knew this motor was going to be 15kg..

although i "disputed" the weight given Lowracer example.

i had same as lowracer in my hands for short time and it did weigh less and looked somehow smaller

https://picasaweb.google.com/109200118817316198214/HS3540Vs5404

do you think it will fit 135mm frame [like your KMX?]

Yeah i knew it will be 15kg... but i was not aware that it also have like 20 more mm width! on one side :lol:

It's really like if you take the lowracer motor version and that you add 20mm on one side.

But with the stator winding less compressed i guess it will be better for the air cooling effect :wink:

This new 5403 motor WILL be the perfect dimensions for modifications.. ( enought room !)

i dont know if it will fit on any of my ebikes.. but i will make it fit anyway! :mrgreen:

Doc

Doctorbass said:
Yeah i knew it will be 15kg... but i was not aware that it also have like 20 more mm width! on one side :lol:

Doc

there are ALWAYS surprises with China as once Oatnet mentioned.. could not think of asking a question to Kenny about it and he obviously didn't mention anything :roll:

i can imagine the disc brake mounting will be big issue

Doctorbass said:
I only had onw problem with the hall wires on a X5. these seem to be good and the room in the axel is enough to carry 3 x 10 gauge wires + 5 hall little wires.

If you take care to not pinch the wires, they will last as long as you keep the motor.

Doc

Thanks Doc. I'm specifically looking at this image. When you tighten the nut it seems to me that the stress eventually goes directly to the wires instead of the metal on the axel. On the x5300 series they included another plastic end cap, but while this distributes the stress a bit it's not the same as tightening directly to metal. Should I not stress about this though? How do you know when it's tight enough, but not too tight to pinch? (my 5404 hasn't arrived just yet but obviously I don't want to screw it up before I even get it running.)

ryan said:
Doctorbass said:
I only had onw problem with the hall wires on a X5. these seem to be good and the room in the axel is enough to carry 3 x 10 gauge wires + 5 hall little wires.

If you take care to not pinch the wires, they will last as long as you keep the motor.

Doc

Thanks Doc. I'm specifically looking at this image. When you tighten the nut it seems to me that the stress eventually goes directly to the wires instead of the metal on the axel. On the x5300 series they included another plastic end cap, but while this distributes the stress a bit it's not the same as tightening directly to metal. Should I not stress about this though? How do you know when it's tight enough, but not too tight to pinch? (my 5404 hasn't arrived just yet but obviously I don't want to screw it up before I even get it running.)

That's a great question Ryan.
Usually the wires exit is pointing in the area where the dropout is opened ( the exit of the dropout slit so it have no metal in this area

I think you are confusing the dropout as a single hole and not a slit where one end is open.

As for the plastic.. I don’t like them and never use them these soften once temperature vary and it make the nut to become loose etc.. I prefer thightening metal to metal

Doctorbass said:
My 5303 and 25.5 inchs wheel ( maxxis 24 x 3.0) and 30s lipo and 11kW is exactly 113kmh ( 70mph)

With the added torque this motor give i expect to get the 80mph with 15kW continuous.

This motor will compete seriously with the cromotor i think. Yes it weight alot more.. but the new motor armature that contain more copper and more steel will be a great benefit !

Doc

Whoops, this is a 5403... I assumed it was a 5404.

It looks like my motor was just delivered... Too bad the bike isnt ready.

Hi Doc,

Nice but i will have hard time following you last summer it's can be worse this summer with this beast :shock: ... I really need Agni 95R to following you one day or another :lol: :lol:

Nice review my friend it will be fun to see this motor in action, good day!
Black Arrrow

ryan said:
ZOM did you get a tracking number or was it a surprise? I'm on the other coast so it should be a few more days, but I'd love to know for sure.

He sent me a tracking number upon request.
Me saying this might make everyone PM him for tracking...

I just got home, and it looks like it needed a signature and wasn't delivered. I assumed it would be here today, based off the tracking saying 'out for delivery' earlier today.

could we please keep the comments about deilvery times on the 54xx sale thread and keep this one only for motor reviews please? :D

wojtek said:
could we please keep the comments about deilvery times on the 54xx sale thread and keep this one only for motor reviews please? :D

3rd page and still no road test. I'd call this more of a photo shoot than a review, since a review includes the product actually functioning. :lol:

Thanks for the info Doc, I have my shipment being unloaded in the port right now so it's good to know what I have in store! Most importantly, after all the back and forth, twised stories and misinformation with Crytalyte it looks like they've finally delivered the goods. And for those of us looking to push silly amounts of power into these things, the bigger size is actually an unexpected bonus.

Doctorbass said:
i dont know if it will fit on any of my ebikes.. but i will make it fit anyway! :mrgreen:
Exactly - you don't fit the 5400 to your bike, you fit the bike to it! :mrgreen:

John in CR said:
wojtek said:

3rd page and still no road test. I'd call this more of a photo shoot than a review, since a review includes the product actually functioning. :lol:

John dont be so tough :lol: .. i am working on 6 different project plus helping for 3 other ev project... :shock: 8)

I need to make a wheel to this motor soo i need spokes and rim... yes finding the right rim.. just like i posted few hours ago.

Also i will replace the actual 12 gauge phase wires, will add a protective high temp coat, redrill the disk brake adaptor because they are too far.. ( not 44mm) and also add some holes in the side cover.

Review dont need to be so quick to be done properly!

Doc

Thanks for posting this! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning, waiting for mine to arrive.
I wounder if the added width is due to these being a special run of the motor? Perhaps its easier to produce a small run by hand, and not get them compressed as tightly as a normal production run would be?

Drunkskunk said:
Thanks for posting this! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning, waiting for mine to arrive.
I wounder if the added width is due to these being a special run of the motor? Perhaps its easier to produce a small run by hand, and not get them compressed as tightly as a normal production run would be?

I feel a bit the same, even though I've dropped out of the buy! I'm glad I did, because I'm more interested in offroad, something these things are simply to big for, but I'm defiantly looking forward to seeing what people are able to do with 'em!! Who's going to be the first to force air through 'em? with the acre or 3 of space you have inside I'd be thinking a custom heatsink on one side to increace the internal surface area by a few 1000 percent or so, and some whacking great fans on the other to suck as much air though as possible... 10kw continuous anyone????? :twisted:

also, it appears from the pics that it might be possible to fit a array of holes around the edge of the magnet ring, on the outer side of the spoke flanges. that way, and internal fan would be drawing air in directly over the windings, and pushing it back out on the other side (ignoring a bit of loss from going between the magnets and stator). that should result in some pretty epic cooling levels! like this (please forgive my crude paint skills!)

5404 holes example.jpg

what is the hub spoke hole size please?

Doc, thanks for posting such a thorough review with clear pics and precise measurements. :D You always give so much back to the community, I appreciate your work.

-JD

wojtek said:
what is the hub spoke hole size please?

I will take the mwasurement tonight :wink:

Doc

sn0wchyld said:
Drunkskunk said:

I feel a bit the same, even though I've dropped out of the buy! I'm glad I did, because I'm more interested in offroad, something these things are simply to big for, but I'm defiantly looking forward to seeing what people are able to do with 'em!! Who's going to be the first to force air through 'em? with the acre or 3 of space you have inside I'd be thinking a custom heatsink on one side to increace the internal surface area by a few 1000 percent or so, and some whacking great fans on the other to suck as much air though as possible... 10kw continuous anyone????? :twisted:

also, it appears from the pics that it might be possible to fit a array of holes around the edge of the magnet ring, on the outer side of the spoke flanges. that way, and internal fan would be drawing air in directly over the windings, and pushing it back out on the other side (ignoring a bit of loss from going between the magnets and stator). that should result in some pretty epic cooling levels! like this (please forgive my crude paint skills!)

That's a good idea! but the holes will be drilled in nearly 10mm of steel :lol: .. i just wonder if it would accect the magnetic field return from the rotor magnet...

Drunkskunk and Oatnet,
thanks for teh appreciation :wink: it's always my pleasure to share these info.

Doc

Doc, you still have the inductance listed in mH vs uH :wink:

Stop the other projects and get this thing in one of your bikes, we want to see if you can set a new record!

I'm not being hard on you Doc, just pointing out that maybe this thread should be something like "dimensions and pics of the guts of new Xlyte 5403", which is useful info and appreciated by everyone. Then put your performance review in the Ebike review section. Please try to be a bit more humble with the claims, especially when using the word "continuous". How long are you calling "continuous" with your 5303 at 111kph and 11kw? 1 minute or did you get on the highway and ride many kilometers to another town WOT all the way?

A couple of reminders for you, since you're shooting for max potential, I'm sure you want maximum cooling air flow. Keep the left and right covers identified when angling the holes. Also, I firmly believe the angled stator slots on the X5's are an important aspect of their cooling, because the spinning air of at the magnets is caught by the angled slots of the stator causing an air flow through the magnetic gap from one side to the other. If you have fans or one sided air intake, take advantage and enhance that natural flow, or at least be sure you aren't fighting against it like happened with your forward angled perimeter exhaust vents on the earlier motor that killed the cooling.

I can't wait for the videos you produce so well, so I have something to shoot for. :mrgreen:

John

Back