New Honda motor, magnets without dysprosium and terbium

spinningmagnets

Staff member
[edit, title fixed to correct it...thanks, LFP!]

Neodymium magnets are widespread around here on ES, but apparently Honda feared that their supplies of the materials to make them might be restricted if there are trade issues with China, who supplies a large portion of rare earth metals to the global economy.

I don't know if this new formulation of magnet is slightly weaker per volume, but due to Honda's reputation, I suspect the new style of magnet will likely be reasonably effective.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/12...ut-heavy-rare-earth-metals/?sr_source=Twitter

It's still a Neodymium rare earth magnet. It just survives at high temperatures due to the very small particle size rather than being doped with the very pricey and expensive heavy rare earth metals it normally requires to give them good temperature handling.

The strength should be ~same as its the limits of the Neodymium for either.

From Honda:

"For use in the drive motors of electric vehicles, neodymium magnets must have high heat resistance properties as they are used in a high temperature environment. Adding heavy rare earth (dysprosium and/or terbium) to the neodymium magnets has been a conventional method to secure such high heat resistance.

However, major deposits of heavy rare earth elements are unevenly around the world, and also are categorized as rare metals; thus, the use of heavy rare earth carries risks from the perspectives of stable procurement and material costs. Therefore, a reduction in the use of heavy rare earth elements has been one of the major challenges needing to be addressed in order to use neodymium magnets for the drive motors of hybrid vehicles.

[New development]
Daido Electronics Co., Ltd., a wholly owned subsidiary of Daido Steel, has been mass-producing neodymium magnets using the hot deformation method, which is different from the typical sintering production method for neodymium magnets. The hot deformation method is a technology that enables nanometer-scale crystal grains to be well-aligned in order to realize a fine crystal grain structure that is approximately ten times smaller than that of a sintered magnet, which makes it possible to produce magnets with greater heat resistance properties.

This time, Daido Steel and Honda jointly developed new neodymium magnets while Daido Steel further evolved its hot deformation technologies and Honda leveraged its experience in development of drive motors and revised the shape of the magnet. Through these joint development efforts, the two companies achieved, for the first time in the world, a practical application of a neodymium magnet which contains absolutely no heavy rare earth yet has high heat resistance and high magnetic performance suitable for use in the drive motor of hybrid vehicles.

Moreover, Honda designed a new motor which accommodates this new magnet. In addition to the shape of the magnet, Honda revised the shape of the rotor to optimize the flow of the magnetic flux of the magnet. As a result, the hot deformed neodymium magnet that contains absolutely no heavy rare earth became usable for the drive motor of a hybrid vehicle, demonstrating torque, output and heat resistance performance equivalent to those of a motor that uses the conventional type of magnet."

I'm surprised that no one besides Tesla is using induction motors. PM motors provide better power density at an e-bike scale, but this advantage shrinks as you move to larger devices. Startup torque is a little more complicated, but it's a problem that's been solved. Sticking with steel and aluminum would seem to have obvious supply chain advantages.

Not that advances in magnet technology are unwelcome, but it's curious that the major car manufacturers are putting R&D resources into better magnets when they don't need to use magnets at all.

Got to agree with cy. What's wrong with Tesla's induction motor? I am pretty sure they have a copper cage rotor, not Al. But they do great without any magnets.

major said:
Got to agree with cy. What's wrong with Tesla's induction motor? I am pretty sure they have a copper cage rotor, not Al. But they do great without any magnets.

Modern induction (like Tesla's motor) is quite amazing and has slip losses at just a few percent even at high loads, and at cruise sub 1% slip loss.

Switched Reluctance short flux path or transverse-flux is where EV's will eventually end up.

Does the Tesla still use aluminium rotor bars? I'd expect they'd have a copper squirrel cage - Siemens makes a range of high efficiency induction motors with copper rotor bars, these can reach eff3 at 15kW and over. It took siemens a lot of development effort to successfully diecast the copper in the rotors, but they don't have to be made that way. they could be fabricated and welded for example. Hmm I should go off for a bit of quick googlage... Still doesn't get you eff4, we're doing synchronous reluctance now to plug that gap.
didn't have to go far.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Model_S

Back