New Jersey - When is a bike not a bike?

dogman said:
Exactly, The thing simply resembles a moped too much for that judge to swallow it.

The problem is that our "Justice" system is supposed to be "blind". This means that it must rule according to the facts and not according to what some "judge" thinks he or she "sees".

But then again, what can we expect from those who make their living from the taxes and fees that we citizens pay?

FMB42 said:
dogman said:
Exactly, The thing simply resembles a moped too much for that judge to swallow it.

The problem is that our "Justice" system is supposed to be "blind". This means that it must rule according to the facts and not according to what some "judge" thinks he or she "sees".

So, if I put pedals and a chain on a Harley, it is a bicycle.

TylerDurden said:
So, if I put pedals and a chain on a Harley, it is a bicycle.

Yes, as long as it meets the maximum displacement and speed regulations...

Exactly. The way I read it, her "bike" has operable pedals and is below the threshold for being a motor vehicle in that state. So it's a motor assisted bicycle.

The judge is correct that the consumer product safety federal law does not apply. She was wrong to try to use that law as a defense in court. She should have quoted the correct New Jersy state vehicle statute, which does seem to indicate she has a legal ebike. 1000 watts is less than 1.5 hp, and I doubt she goes faster than 25 mph.

However, the legislatures job is to write law only. The judicial interperets the law. And your particular judge get's to interperet the law just about any way he sees fit, unless slapped back down by higher courts. It's how US democracy works. Lot's of leeway to get shafted by a Judges personal bias if any. Judges are not required to give a shit about facts.

You don't believe it? ask the people in any prison.

AussieJester said:
Were, laws were changed mid last year IIRC It is now legal to ride e-bikes in New York City.

KiM

There's been a NYS bill that passed assembly and senate last year but it's somehow been "shelved" and may never see the light of day. East coast lawmakers are most concerned with how to tax things IMO.

There's a thread or two someplace about it - http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25178&p=366419&hilit=nys+assembly#p366419

so yes, they are seemingly illegal in NYS/NYC but for the most part not actively enforced. Tons of delivery riders already ride eBikes although that may start to change with more and more of these smaller "scooter" looking eBikes showing up this year. They don't have the bodywork like the one in this thread but they're also clearly incapable of being pedaled.

Perception - if it looks like a Duck, etc, etc....

This has been beat to death on another forum...
In NJ, a "motorized bicycle" IS a moped.
Previous posts have shown the description of a moped (motorized bike).

The judge is NOT wrong. It's considered a moped under NJ law and she NEEDS a license.
Ya see, she was PUNISHED, because she got convicted of drinking and driving an automobile. She's TRYING to get around that by buying an electric bike.
Too bad. It's a moped and even LOOKS like one..
She had $1900 to buy that "electric bike", but couldn't pay off the surcharges? I call bologney!
She bought the most Scooterish / Mopedish looking ebike out there! It even has a "deck" to put her feet on.

If you noticed, they stated she was in an accident and has mobility problems now..
Bet you a million bucks, it was during the drunken ride...

Bet you a BILLION dollars, that if she had bough a NORMAL looking ebike, that wouldn't have bothered her at all!

She probably was riding in and out of traffic, causing problems or riding on the sidewalk when you're not supposed to.

She keeps trying to use the hr727 (federal) law to help her, but that has NOTHING to do with NJ's right to legislate what THEY want to.

She can put forth a campaign to CHANGE the law via the correct procedures. And when that judge's term is up, if I were her, I would start a smear campaign against him.

She got lucky TWICE (actually went on two different occasions) and she's STILL complaining.
She can move out of NJ where the laws are more ebike friendly or try to change the law and not by complaining.
She can even go to a local town hall meeting and suggest a local ordinance ALLOWING or DEFINING an ebike as a regular bicycle. She state's that she only travels around town, so she could get it done.

Just my .02

I agree that NJ state law applies. The other fed law only pertains to selling a bike.

Hey, I'm not a NJ lawyer, I was just going by the statute quoted above. My read of it was that below 1.5 hp was NOT a motor vehicle.

Ok, reading it again about 6 times, I think I see it now. They are meaning that any bike with a motor IS a moped. I was thinking they meant it was not a moped. So it's like florida for the same scooters, where you must register it, except there are fifteen catch 22's so you can't register it.

This stuff is always hard to decipher, you should try the Federal Air Regulations sometime for a pilot test. Again thank god i live in the west, Here I am a moped too, but nobody wants me to licence it. But it lets me ride faster if i want to.

dogman said:
Here I am a moped too, but nobody wants me to licence it.
Same here in MD. :D We actually have two separate designations for various types of small powered vehicles, 'mopeds', which all ebikes fall under, and 'motor scooters', which most of the little pedal-less things have. Fortunately, neither of those designations requires registration or licensing of the vehicle, though they do both require either a valid drivers license or a valid 'scooter license'.

dogman said:
Ok, reading it again about 6 times, I think I see it now. They are meaning that any bike with a motor IS a moped. I was thinking they meant it was not a moped. So it's like florida for the same scooters, where you must register it, except there are fifteen catch 22's so you can't register it.

This stuff is always hard to decipher, you should try the Federal Air Regulations sometime for a pilot test. Again thank god i live in the west, Here I am a moped too, but nobody wants me to licence it. But it lets me ride faster if i want to.

Except, that with FL law it IS a bicycle, and not a moped.
That's why I'm glad FL considers my ebike as a bicycle or else I'd be screwed if I was still living in NJ.

I explained to her, that if she has "mobility issues" then get a mobility scooter, and if she's actually impaired, she could prolly get it for free..

She WANTED something that looked "cool"... There's too many holes in her story.... I'm sure there's no bicycle lanes like they have here in Florida, and as I said before, was probably impeding traffic.. Will never know for sure...
They dismissed the charges because the cop wrote the tickets incorrectly, and that's why they told her not to ride it again..

My advice to her was to sell it and use the money for a mobility scooter and she'll not be bothered ever again. OR try to have an ordinance added to her local municipality to allow her to have it legislated as a bicycle.

Those are her two (and only) choices.

Seen on Facebook:
Denise Fisk-Baj
May 12th is the Council Meeting--I desperately need emails and phone calls to help me win this--I would GREATLY APPRECIATE it--if you could spare a minute of your time to call Mayor Jay Gillian at the Mayor's office at City Hall– 609-525-9333 or email him at mayor@ocnj.us and tell them that all over NJ "Low-Speed Electric Bicycles" are allowed--why not Ocean City? Please help me to be heard--thx so much to everyone!!
10 minutes ago

Yes, "low speed electric bicycles" ARE allowed, you just have to register them as mopeds and have a valid license.

Here in NSW Australia, those scooters with tacked-on pedals are specifically banned. And, an electric assist push-bike must actually look like a push-bike. As someone who has commuted for the past 4 years on an EVT electric scooter, I'm afraid I have to agree with the authorities on this one. If it looks like a 50cc scooter, taking it out in traffic and not performing like a 50cc scooter is downright suicidal. Even with my EVT, which will do 60Km/Hr (just), I got run off the road or overtaken on the kerb side a number of times when it had it's original lead-acid batteries.

Also, in Australia, there's a 200 watt limit on push-bikes. I have no evidence, but suspect this is at least partially motivated to discourage convicted drunk drivers from getting on the road on alternate transport.

I personally would like to see a new class of vehicle here, being specifically an e-bike, but with more power, and a requirement that the operator must hold a valid drivers license. Even if it meant a token registration fee. But I don't have the motivation to push for this to happen.

Amanda

sangesf said:

The judge is NOT wrong. It's considered a moped under NJ law and she NEEDS a license.
Ya see, she was PUNISHED, because she got convicted of drinking and driving an automobile. She's TRYING to get around that by buying an electric bike.
Too bad. It's a moped and even LOOKS like one..
She had $1900 to buy that "electric bike", but couldn't pay off the surcharges? I call bologney!
She bought the most Scooterish / Mopedish looking ebike out there! It even has a "deck" to put her feet on.

If you noticed, they stated she was in an accident and has mobility problems now..
Bet you a million bucks, it was during the drunken ride...

Bet you a BILLION dollars, that if she had bough a NORMAL looking ebike, that wouldn't have bothered her at all!

She probably was riding in and out of traffic, causing problems or riding on the sidewalk when you're not supposed to.

She keeps trying to use the hr727 (federal) law to help her, but that has NOTHING to do with NJ's right to legislate what THEY want to.

She can put forth a campaign to CHANGE the law via the correct procedures. And when that judge's term is up, if I were her, I would start a smear campaign against him.

She got lucky TWICE (actually went on two different occasions) and she's STILL complaining.
She can move out of NJ where the laws are more ebike friendly or try to change the law and not by complaining.
She can even go to a local town hall meeting and suggest a local ordinance ALLOWING or DEFINING an ebike as a regular bicycle. She state's that she only travels around town, so she could get it done.

Just my .02
Sangesf----u know I told you my story on volt-----I was not riding in and out of traffic or on the sidewalk---c'mon now---I'm 51 not 17---and my surcharges are well above 5 grand---ya know they give u penalties and interest for not paying on time---sorry I'm on a fixed income and was not looking to skirt the law just get something CHEAP!! MY DISABILITY WAS CAUSED in 1994 BY A DRUNKEN COP BROADSIDING ME ON MY WAY HOME (SOBER) from a friends house at 11 pm at night---ya owe me a million bucks buddy---don't assume---it makes you look uninformed or stupid---I wasn't even driving the car when I got the DUI over 5 years ago---I was fighting with my then BF---and was actually outside of the vehicle but b/c the keys were in the vehicle---the cop said I intended to drive but yet again b/c I couldn't afford a big expensive lawyer--I got the shitty end of the stick---please don't presume you know about something --when you were not there---thx for the insults buddy----u really know how to throw a girl under the bus!!!! and if you go to this site u will see I am still fighting with the help of OC Council and now Senator Van Drew---I also have contacted the Office of the Attorney General and the Governor himself---I refuse to give up!!!
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/breaking/ocean-city-woman-gets-ally-in-fight-over-electric-bike/article_8697b53e-72d0-11e0-a1da-001cc4c002e0.html

The laws reguarding ebikes in just about every country are a continual gray area which is so frustrating for our developing hobby, particularly as these bikes really are the way of the future for short journey use.
The authorities everywhere really need to clearly legislate what is and isn't an electric bicycle once and for all so instances like Denise's and so many others can be dealt with in a black and white manner, not the mushy gray we all currently have.

Pushing the authorities to do this and fairly is another problem altogether :roll:

Goodluck with the charges Denise :)

Paul :D

I live in Virginia, USA, where thankfully anything that has three or less wheels and goes 30mph and under is considered a bike and regulated as such.

That doesn't stop the idiot people in my area from thinking they have the right to regulate me as I ride around. One jackass in my neighborhood said to me, "You really need to slow down or make some noise so others can see and hear you. Your bike is TOO QUIET and someone is going to step in front of you and get hurt." This was after he took his ipod buds out of his ears.

REALLY!?! I told him I'd look into getting some Harley noises for it. Couldn't mess with him too much as he's buddies with the Commonwealth's Attorney that lives in our neighborhood. He is one person you do not mess with unless you like prison.

Anyway, Denise, I hope you get this sorted in your favor. You did the right thing, but are being treated the opposite.

My family used to summer at Ocean City, NJ, and I worked there for a couple of crazy college summers, paying my way through school. That was many many years ago, but a few observations on the area and opinions on the issue:

1) OC is a resort town, tiny population in winter, hugely overcrowded in summer with kids looking to get crazy and act wild; I know, I was one of them. I could see a concern with setting a precedent that would allow these kids to ride scooters while partying. I don't think they could handle all of the underage riders and questionable 'tweaked' rides such as we could build here, especially if they can't tell what is a scooter and what is an ebike. I disagree with the outcome, and I think they would get shot down if someone invested the $$$ to fight it, but I see why they are going there.

2) While NJ State Troopers are universally renknowned as rude DICKS, OC NJ cops were a Dick's Dick. In summer the force is staffed up with young rent-a-cops of questionable qualifications for even a security guard, and significant ego issues they like to work through while on the job. The year-round cops aren't much better, and all inter-relalated with folks in Municipal government, that good-old boys network is impossible to fight.

3) Like it or not, eBikes are a loophole that allows people who have proven unreliable at driving sober, keep driving. Eventually, legislation is going to close this loophole everywhere. I hope the legislated solution doesn't F___ it up for the rest of us, because the government just don't know what to make of ebikes, so they keep trying to categorize them with other vehicles - it needs to be its own separate category. Something where you need to be able to effectively pedal the thing for it to be an ebike.

4) I always hated the useless pedals on a moped. I hate the useless pedals on a scootery ebike even more - and I think the scooter look is very poser-ish. As others have said, jerseygirl if you want to ride an ebike, ride an ebike, not a faux-scooter. C'mon, fess up, part of the appeal of of this model is that you looked like you were riding a real scooter, and had a license, instead of someone relegated to a bicycle. I bet the cops wouldn't bat an eye even if you were on a giant-hubbed Tidalforce or E+.

I think the best way to weather the storm is build stealthy and quiet - if they think you are a bike, then you won't get hassled. I don't think anyone in my area has realized that my latest 30mph build is electric, and I know nobody knew my 45mph xtracycle was electric. 8)

-JD

jerseygirl said:
sangesf said:

Sangesf----u know I told you my story on volt-----I was not riding in and out of traffic or on the sidewalk---c'mon now---I'm 51 not 17---and my surcharges are well above 5 grand---ya know they give u penalties and interest for not paying on time---sorry I'm on a fixed income and was not looking to skirt the law just get something CHEAP!!

Hey Jerseygirl,

Sangesf is correct, I read the moped law on the NJ DMV site, it sucks but you are breaking the law. Unless you get the law changed you're screwed just like New York state residents.

Edit: Massachusetts has some weird laws on the books, some dating from colonial times. We do seem to be ahead of the curve on energy use/savings though. eBikes are cool, we even have a new law allowing three-wheeled Chinese cars as motorcycles and low-speed electric cars are now legal as well. The state has a generous solar electric grant program too. Not something you would expect in the northeast but good for me and the environment.

jerseygirl,

Nobody has suggested a solution for you so here goes.

You need a stealth bike, something that looks like a bicycle. This is NOT what I'm talking about:
4d9bb849f31b8.image.jpg

Edit: Have you ever ridden that scooter under pedal power alone? I wouldn't, it doesn't look safe. The pedals are so low I would imagine they would hit the pavement if you were pedaling around a corner. I don't imagine it goes very fast under pedal power either.

I road my bike to work the other day and stuck up a conversation with a local cop. When I told him my bike had electric assist he said "Really, I couldn't tell." The reason was simple, most of the hardware is hidden under my paniers AND I pedal everywhere except when I'm coasting down hill.

Rather than fight the cops I'd go stealth. Sell the scooter and buy an electric bike at Walmart.com or better yet convert a standard bike to eBike. The latter will give you the best performance for your dollar. For less than what you paid for the scooter you will end up with a nice Lithium powered eBike that will fool most people.

Build it like this:

1) Get a rear geared drive wheel kit. A geared drive hub isn't much larger than a coaster brake hub and it's far easier to hide.

2) Get paniers, either baskets of bags. Put stuff in the baskets!

3) Get a tube battery or a nice battery bag from the Porcelain Rocket http://theporcelainrocket.wordpress.com/

4) Pedal

5) Don't tell New Jersey I said it was ok to break the law.

Here's an example of a stealth bike, the average person would have no idea it was an eBike and paniers would hide it even better:

FILE0180.jpg

Lastly, if you are unable to ride a bicycle, as the article suggests, your only other choice is a, electric mobility wheelchair. You will have to provide documentation of your disability to be allowed to operate one on NJ roads. I imagine that's not going to be easy since you appear to be fit enough to ride a scooter. It all depends on your surgeon. Before I had back surgery I couldn't ride a bicycle but I could ride a small motorcycle. It was a great excuse to get a bike again and I rode for two years before I got my surgery. I did have to get my motorcycle license again as well as insurance. I understand insurance is an issue for you so I don't see this as being an option.

commanda said:
I personally would like to see a new class of vehicle here, being specifically an e-bike, but with more power, and a requirement that the operator must hold a valid drivers license. Even if it meant a token registration fee. But I don't have the motivation to push for this to happen.

Amanda

I couldnt agree more. I'd happily pay $50 or $100 a year for 3rd party and to legally ride say a 1kw / 30kmh bike uni. ideally any new laws would have a 10Mw 5 BILLION km'h limit, but we gotta be realistic i think... still, would be nice to break the speed of light and arrive at uni before I leave home :p

back on the OP, to say that that thing is a 'bike' is a bit of a joke. If she can pedal that thing for more than a km or two then ill take it back, but that is for all intents and proposes a scooter that has been made with the intention of bypassing (or exploiting ?) the laws. Im not saying its dangerous, hell with only 1kw most people would likely be faster on a decent REAL bicycle using their own two legs. and if your drunk and riding that thing then its just doubly stupid. but the fact is that it is more a pedal assisted motorbike more than a motor assisted bicycle.

sn0wchyld said:
commanda said:

Amanda

I couldnt agree more. I'd happily pay $50 or $100 a year for 3rd party and to legally ride say a 1kw / 30kmh bike uni. ideally any new laws would have a 10Mw 5 BILLION km'h limit, but we gotta be realistic i think... still, would be nice to break the speed of light and arrive at uni before I leave home :p

In Massachusetts we do, it's called a moped. Speed up to 25mph. A registration sticker is required every two years at a cost of $40. You must have a valid driver's license to operate one AND wear a helmet.

We also have a new class called "Small Motor Vehicle". These can travel up to 40mph but they must be certified by NHTSA as a motorcycle. This last one is good for two and three-wheeled vehicles, including those with an enclosed cab. (Think Chinese three-wheeled "cars".)

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...cle_652715a6-6a6a-11e1-9225-001871e3ce6c.html
Ocean City woman will fight again for electric bike

By RICHARD DEGENER Staff Writer pressofAtlanticCity.com
Friday, March 9, 2012 11:36 pm
PressOfAtlanticCity.com

4d9f14f6ed01b.image.jpg

OCEAN CITY — Denise Baj will go to court for a third time to try and win approval to navigate her electric bicycle around town.

Like the first two times, Baj, 51, of First Street, doesn’t really have a choice. The police recently issued her nine tickets for riding the unusual vehicle.

“It’s ridiculous. It’s harassment at this point. The two previous cases were dismissed. There is no law banning electric bikes in New Jersey. Anywhere a bicycle goes, I can go,” said Baj.

It may not be that simple. There are differences in laws relating to bicycles, motorized bicycles, mo-peds and motorcycles.

The police, at the urging of municipal Prosecutor Don Charles, want to see if requirements such as insurance, registration, motorcycle-type helmets as opposed to bicycle helmets and other things apply to the unusual conveyance. Another court case is the way to test this, said police Capt. Steven Ang.

“We want to see if some of this fits, if all of this fits or if none of this fits. We’re trying to make the streets safe for everybody and need a ruling on this,” said Ang.

“If it’s made legal, that’s fine. We’ll let it be,” he added.

Confusion about what rules apply helped get the matter out of court twice before. Baj said in a case last June the judge told her to try and register the vehicle with the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission. She said she tried but they wouldn’t do it because “they consider me a bicycle.”

But even Baj agrees there is a gray area as one state statute raises questions about certain motorized vehicles. Baj argues the 700-watt electric motor on hers is under the threshold and is considered a bicycle. It also has pedals. She said it also can’t go more than 25 mph, another threshold, and would be lucky to hit 20 mph.

State Sen. Jeff Van Drew, D-Cape May, Cumberland, Atlantic, is trying to help Baj. He said the electric bike is sold locally and allowed nationally.

“There’s nothing wrong with this vehicle. They should be allowed in use. It’s typical bureaucracy. You can’t drive it unless you register it, and you can’t register it,” Van Drew said.

Van Drew has considered drafting a law that he said would benefit Baj, the Motor Vehicle Commission and police by setting parameters.

“It’s very complicated. There’s no bad guy here,” Van Drew said.

At the urging of the commission, Van Drew said he is first awaiting an opinion from the state Attorney General’s Office.

“The attorney general is supposed to create a mechanism to register them. I want to draft a bill that the governor will sign and is constitutional. I’m waiting for attorney general’s guidance,” Van Drew said.

One concern is whether the machines could be used by people who have lost their driver’s license for drunken driving or other offenses. Baj did lose her license for drunken driving but the time period for the suspension is over. She said she hasn’t gotten her license back simply because she can’t afford to pay the surcharges.

Baj said she couldn’t afford a car anyway. She said she is a single-mother on a fixed income from Social Security for a disability caused by a 1994 car accident. She said she can’t ride a regular bicycle due the back injury suffered in that accident.

“I can’t afford a car or insurance or the maintenance of a vehicle,” said Baj.

Baj thought the issue was over after a June 2010 court case, but nine tickets arrived in Thursday’s mail, she said. The tickets are mostly for things that would be required if she were driving a moped. This includes driving an uninsured vehicle, driving without a license, driving while suspended, and driving an unregistered vehicle. Tickets for her and a passenger, 13-year-old son Ryan Romanelli, were for wearing bicycle helmets as opposed to sturdier mo-ped helmets.

The initial court date is set for next week, but the case will not be argued at that time.

“I’ll state ‘not guilty’ and apply for a public defender,” said Baj.

The electric bicycle has a headlight, mirrors, brake lights and a trunk. Baj, a local resident for 10 years, admits it looks bigger than a bicycle but said she has been riding it since 2009 and has never been in an accident. She only uses it around town.

Baj argues the look of the machine is a factor. Ang seems to agree.

“It looks like a mo-ped. It operates like a mo-ped. If you go to the website they advertise it as a mo-ped. We feel it should fall under the same guidelines,” Ang said.

One difference could be an electric motor recharged with household current and less powerful than gasoline-operated mopeds. Other differences could be argued about in court.

Prosecutor Charles and representatives at the Motor Vehicle Commission did not return phone calls on Friday.

Contact Richard Degener:

609-463-6711

The police, at the urging of municipal Prosecutor Don Charles, want to see if requirements such as insurance, registration, motorcycle-type helmets as opposed to bicycle helmets and other things apply to the unusual conveyance. Another court case is the way to test this, said police Capt. Steven Ang.
After being dismissed twice, this is harassment.
At some point, the municipal prosecutor should be condemned for procedural abuse of public funds and be sentenced to reimburse all the expenses.

You go girl. My read of the local law was that she was legal. Edit. Hoo boy, I remembered it wrong. A review of the law says she's clearly a moped, regardless of what the bike looks like. http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Licenses/MotorizedBicycle.htm

But it's also plenty clear the local cops love an excuse to hassle her. I was in the same boat as her in my teens and early 20's. Local cops loved to catch me at anything. It was a tough way to live for about a decade, till some old timers retired. Taught me to drive right and get the hell out of crime.

This local hate clearly goes at least as far as the local Judge too, which is really sad. I can't help wondering what she did to kick this off. Seems like just a DUI wouldn't get them hating her this much.

Which ever way this goes, the cops won't magicaly start to like her if she wins. Hope she has the house free of code violations etc. More to come is sure. Either way, she just makes em hate her more unless she coplies with the "law" the local cops wrote themselves.

That aint right either. She has to fight it, because they are so wrong. Edit, No, they are right. Let it go, and pay the tickets, sell the bike or get licenced.

This case, and another similar situation in Phoenix, is why I keep saying if you don't have to ride an ebike that looks like a scooter, dont. Much better to fly under the radar on an ebike that at least somewhat looks like a bike. I'm not saying stealth, just don't look so much like a regular motor vehicle that is a moped or motorcycle.

Everytime I read an update about this case, the "facts" change a little..

First off it was "There was no way it could get to 20 mph", then it was, "It can go up to 20" then it was "It can't go faster than 25 and would be 'lucky' to hit 20". (I know the website says 20mph max speed... But they probably put that for "ebike" reasons and not technically true... Ever had an e-bike company ever tell the entire truth when they're trying to sell you something?)

I think we can all agree it's a scooter looking vehicle with pedals to magically turn it into an e-bike.
(Like someone said before, if she had gone "stealth", they probably wouldn't have bothered her in the first place..)

Either way.. CURRENTLY.. The "Bill" that was "introduced" never went anywhere...

It was introduced during the 2010-2011 legislation and pushed to another "commission" and sat there.

That's what they call a "dead bill".. If any of you remember the old "School House rock" commercials, "Yes, I'm only a bill, I keep sitting here on capital hill..". Bills are introduced and if they are "truly enacted", they become a LAW..

That did NOT happen to A2581.. It never became the law...

The other thing is, since the law stands that an electric bicycle was (and still is) considered a moped and requires registration and a valid license any tickets she gets might still "hold water".
(Yes her other tickets were thrown out, but that was because the tickets were written incorrectly and wasn't dismissed with anything having to do with the legality of her bike.)
If the legislature says it needs registration and the DMV won't register it, it's probably not able to be used..
And if, during the time, when she got the old (and even the newest) tickets, she was still riding "illegally" AT THAT TIME..

We have the same kinda "grey area" in Florida with the bicycles with gas motors added to them... Until someone gets a ticket and LOSES and THEN has the case sent to an appellate court AND reversed.. (This is what's referred to as "Case Law") people will still get tickets..

Back