New member says hello

PhredDaKat

10 mW
Hello all.... I have been lurking on these forums for Endless hours over the last several months and finally registered, I wanted to say a few words of appreciation. I'm a noob to e-bikes and have just purchased a used Dahon Mu with a Bionix power setup. I hadn't found these forums at that time and I may not have bought that setup if I had been reading here lol. But seriously, yeah I would have, it only cost me 100 US Dollars. It had been in storage for 10~12 years after the original died (not on the bike!) so it is very lightly used and in fine condition. Untill I turned it on, or tried to, dead battery of course. Thus began my internet education on e-bikes. I have been to many forums in my search for knowledge and found this site to be by far the most useful. I really appreciate the frank and honest answers I found here to questions I didn't even know to ask. Between these forums and sites like Battery University I feel like I've gotten an undergraduate degree in e-bike repair/maintenance and battery chemistry. I look forward to learning more here in the future and contributing when I can (next forum is the battery one so I can report the great deal on 18650's I found).

Thanks for taking me into the community!
Steve aka Phred the Cat

BionX are easy to hack, I believe the battery hack was a simple 1-10v signal, its precise like 4.20v or something or 5.85v, I cant remember.

Either way, I believe you could just buy a generic controller to replace the BionX controller if you cant find that BionX hack on ES.
Should be pretty easy to find, if not now, soon, someone will explain it all, and nod in agreement.

The DIY ebike explosion has arrived, I was waiting for it and its been here for the last 4-6 months, meanwhile I've been riding my diy ebike for the past 6yrs just about every single day, minimum 5 miles 12 times a year, maybe 12-15 days a year I dont leave the house, the rest its 20mi.+
Its frocking scary the shit going on out there on the pathways, the rental scooters dont help one bit, they make it worse, the rentals.
The private, high powered/diy stand up scooters, 10-20% are speed freaks. Someones going to die locally from that shit.

The gawkers dont help either, staring at 12 wires for 2-4 minutes, thinking its rocket science. Prey they dont want to chat ya up :lol:
Same old questions all the time. Bounce head to tunes, no eye contact, look in opposite direction :mrgreen: works most of the time.
The gawkers that wave for a chat are a cool bunch too. Smile and nod, be nice.
The best of all, funny as it may seem, the people that walk by with zero head movement. Lovely.
In the beginning I loved gawkers.
Love cures all.

These forums helped me find Grin Technologies, and they have an excellent video tutorial on 'hacking' the PL-350 motor. That may be my next option in a few months of riding. Right now my budget was busted just buying the new 18650's I needed to rebuild the battery pack.
Thanks for the good advice! I read a few too many articles on battery fires and bicycle accidents, I think I will be a humble careful rider for a while. I have the advantage of living in a very small town that is very flat. Actually, in this little place I probably stick out a bit as there are not many e-bikes here.

PhredDaKat said:
These forums helped me find Grin Technologies, and they have an excellent video tutorial on 'hacking' the PL-350 motor. That may be my next option in a few months of riding. Right now my budget was busted just buying the new 18650's I needed to rebuild the battery pack.

Kat, that came to mind, but my minds a little tired and I couldnt remember what the video tutorial was specifically about. I thought my memory was saying hall sensors, or splitting the hubs plastic casement if its the same uber wide hubby.

E-Biking is to much fun! :thumb:
You can literally do anything you wish, with zero contraints of anything, whereas all the rest do have limitations like power/wattage limitations, speed limitations, pedal assist, safe safe safe safe, BORING. My ebike speeds have decreased in the last 2 yrs, prior I had the itch for safe wot. Always stayed at like max 25, with short blasts of 35+mph. Not so much these days, to many dangers lurking around the corners these days, I will pass on that tyvm.

I have the older style, it is rather wide but not as large diameter as the newer style they made. I also have the older 12c comm system. I think it is better than the CANbus system they moved to from what I have read.

Back