New TSDZ2 Open Source firmware with Bluetooth interface

Just got round to ordering the PCB's from PCBway, the newest V4 update version. they have come back to me with a query as follows;

After checking your file, we found that there is via on pad in picture showing, may I know whether we
should fill with resin or not
1. Fill with resin, the cost of pcb will increase and it will be good for assembly
2.Without resin, when you solder SMD components on pad, then paster will be
easy leak out from pad

I have said to go ahead with resin.
Not confirmed yet, so I thought I would check with a grown up.
No fill is also OK.

I wanted to try to set the "torque adc offset fix" parameter which,
from what I understand, serves to influence the attack sensitivity
of the engine based on the values read by the torque sensor.
I understood that a negative value would sensitize it and a positive
value would delay it, but only positive values can be entered in the app.
Has anyone tried ?

View attachment 342167

Page 3 of this config manual:
If checked you shoud enter the ADC value you have without any pressure on pedals. In you case is 194, and so a value around 198 would be ok.

Your project in near perfect. :)

I use the electric bike on my commute to work in a big city
and intersections and traffic require very frequent stops
and starts.

If there is no setting that can help with this, such as the "Startup Boost"
in Power or Torque mode, it would be very useful for this type of use.

Hi, first of all, I would like to thank mspider for a brilliant project that completely changed my bike. However, I have two questions, I have installed the esp32 pcb according to the design and the vcld5 display, but every time I turn off the battery, the display (odometer)does not record the kilometers traveled. and I have the same odometer all the time when I turn it on (it adds kilometers until I turn off the battery) do I need to change something in the settings or is it supposed to be like this?? and the second question was whether this esp32 pcb already works with displays other than vcld5,6 and xh18?

the display (odometer)does not record the kilometers traveled. and I have the same odometer all the time when I turn it on

This has nothing to do with the ESP32 and quite sure the VLCD5 is faulty (memory chips always have limited number of writing times and yours obviously has gone earlier).

For other displays please see experiences reported in earlier posts.

Hi, first of all, I would like to thank mspider for a brilliant project that completely changed my bike. However, I have two questions, I have installed the esp32 pcb according to the design and the vcld5 display, but every time I turn off the battery, the display (odometer)does not record the kilometers traveled. and I have the same odometer all the time when I turn it on (it adds kilometers until I turn off the battery) do I need to change something in the settings or is it supposed to be like this?? and the second question was whether this esp32 pcb already works with displays other than vcld5,6 and xh18?
This can also be caused by switching everything off with the battery switch - instead of the power switch at the display. Only if you use the switch at the display, the system will do a proper powerdowen and in that sequence the milage will get stored to be available at the next power-on

Hi All,
Installed the esp32 mode a few months ago. All works beautifully and the motor was a completely different beast. Had been working great and then had a catastrophy, dog broke her leg while out and the bike got left out overnight during a storm. Next day upon bike recovery motor didn't want to run. I stripped the motor down and there was some water around the electronics. I dried it all out in a food dehydrator and it all started working had a couple more rides then all of a sudden issues again E03 on screen and "controller Communication" issue on the app.

I thought this was going to be more water so I stripped it down checked the board under the microscope couldn't see any water or damage I changed the esp32 board for a new one I had (had a 5 batch min order) and decided this time to add some potting mix and reinstall. Bad idea should have check the issue was gone first I know.

Issue was still there E03 now without access to the board. Polyurethane potting mix meant no access now! So I ordered a new tsdz2 controller fitted another new esp32 board (much more tidily this time!) and tested it this evening. This still shows E03 on screen and controller Communication fault on the app when I tap the exclamation mark.

I tried reflashing the controller firmware. Everything flashed and verified correctly on st visual programmer.

Any ideas for me? I am very confident in my soldered joints (tested from board points to controller connections with multimeter) and have double checked the RX and TX connections are all routed correctly. I wouldn't have thought there could be a problem with communication with the controller being new?
I am planning on charging the battery right up in the morning and seeing if it's a voltage issue maybe? Otherwise could it be a broken wire in the screen cable or a water issue in the screen even though the app is saying controller communication fault?

ThanksPXL_20240413_213256688.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Fresh recharge no difference.
Still controller communication fault. E03
Reflahed controller firmware v16 again. No difference.
Flashed original TSDZ2 firmware from when the kit was new (on program memory, data memory and option byte) - screen shows E03 (not sure whether this would show anyway with the esp32 fitted??)
Reflahed v16 again - still E03
Checked battery voltage (48v pack) - 54v
Read the esp32 diagnostic pins in putty. Nothing obvious there.
Disconnected everything from controller bar esp32 and LCD - no difference.
Swapped txc and rxc in plug to test - no difference.
Multimeter checked txc and rxc from bottom esp32 pins to where wires enter control board - 0ohms resistance

Not sure where to go from here. As I said this is the second controller with this fault this one is brand new.
Aswell as no warning from the app regarding lcd comms I know there is definitely communication that way as increasing the assistance on the screen is reflected on the app.

If anyone got any suggestions for me I'd really appreciate it or is my kit just dead ☹️?

Is there any way a short in the screen wiring loom could cause the controller the black out?

Thanks

PXL_20240414_140751410.jpg
PXL_20240414_144824671.jpg

PXL_20240414_144816104.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone got any suggestions for me I'd really appreciate it or is my kit just dead ☹️?

Is there any way a short in the screen wiring loom could cause the controller the black out?

Thanks
If you have the same problem with the OEM firmware and without the ESP32 board, maybe the problem is the Display or the wiring between motor and Display.
If I remember correctly, E03 means that the display is not receiving any data.

If you have the same problem with the OEM firmware and without the ESP32 board, maybe the problem is the Display or the wiring between motor and Display.
If I remember correctly, E03 means that the display is not receiving any data.
Thanks for this. I will strip the screen down and check the loom. Thanks.

Fixed! And I feel like a complete idiot!

I removed everything from the bike stripped the screen and connector apart left it a few days to dry out. No moisture in the screen but the screen connector had some in and had been terribly waterproofed!
Bench tested and everything worked! So I tested on the bike everything worked.

Reinstalled E03 came back up which led me to the discovery that if you use hall brake sensors and your magnet is missing then it throws E03 on boot and in the tsdz2 app it shows controller communication error. I'm guessing that brakes being an open circuit cause an issue in the software at boot.

I didn't find this referenced anywhere in the VLCD5 manual or in the hall brake sensor guides. Infact the VLCD5 manual which said controller communication issue the same as the TSDZ2 app actually led me down the wrong avenue.

So for anyone else that finds this and is having E03 on a tsdz2 with a VLCD5 screen, stock firmware or not check your brake sensors! If I had unplugged them from the get go I would have saved myself a huge amount of time and a new controller 🤦

Thank you @mspider65 and @tr8 for taking the time to reply to my post 👍

Back