NMC vs LiPo charging

Good stuff in this thread.

Thanks for the measurement Major. Yes, I need the higher max amp rating because my RC motor peaks at around 90A.

It seems like any solution will be a PITA, so here what I'm thinking about. Think of this of a cut-away side view.

nmc_batterypack.png

I'll need to "machine" a bunch of 1/4 spacer plates and 1mm filler plastic sheets. It would be nice to find someplace to do it professionally but I think it will be possible to do this by hand.
Not shown in the picture are the balance wires and the copper bus bars to clamp to the + and - tabs of the pack. Screws pictured are used to clamp the pack together and press the folded tabs together for good electrical connection.

-Warren.

www.recumbents.com said:
Thanks for the measurement Major. Yes, I need the higher max amp rating because my RC motor peaks at around 90A.

The energy cell (CE) will support that peak current. See this post of mine from 9-16-2013: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=51731&start=25#p797924 That was 300A on 2P, so 150A on a cell. 90A on the CE175-360 cell is just a hair over 5C. I don't see a problem as long as your average is 3C or less.

www.recumbents.com said:
Major - did you ever figure out a way to ship those 12S-2P NMC bricks?

No, but Chicago ain't that far. Know anybody else in your area with possible interest? I'd drive half way to sell a couple.

Major - I agree, your cells would work for me. The short tabs will make building a custom pack from a dis-assembled Enerdel pack more difficult. I have seen the pictures of the dis-assembled pack and think it may be possible to retrofit it to build a half height 1P pack. Do you have any empty Enderdel packs? You should be able to send that via mail. Also you should be able to send a couple bare cells in the mail via UPS ground. If you can send me the empty pack and a couple cells to experiment with, I'll be able to determine if I can use them (and if other folks here can use them). If that works, please contact me via email on my website's "contact us" page, on via PM on this site to discuss payment.

Thanks,

-Warren.

It looks like I will not be able to get the pack from Major until this summer when I will be on a trip close to Ohio. I don't know if I can wait that long as I wanted to have this built by Spring. I am still contemplating

Here's another pack design that would be easier for me to build. This pack will be enclosed in a coroplast box and covered in duct tape...

nmc_batterypack2.png

This one should work with either the long tabs on the bare cells, or the shorter ones scavenged from existing packs. Wires would be attached to the sandwiched tabs between cells for balancing. Power wires would be soldered to copper sheet tabs.

-Warren.

www.recumbents.com said:
Hey Major,

Do you know if the tabs on the Enerdel cells are solderable? That would certainly make things easier...

Thanks,

-Warren.

Unless you REALLY know what your'e doing, you don't want to be ever soldering pouch-cell tabs, or can-cells. The tabs are sealed to the pouch with hot-melt glue, and the positive is Aluminum and the negative tab is copper. Both of those metals are towards the top of the list of thermal conductors.

www.recumbents.com said:
Hey Major,

Do you know if the tabs on the Enerdel cells are solderable? That would certainly make things easier...

Sorry, didn't see your question until now. But LFP hit the nail on the head :)

Thanks, Major.

It's time to make a decision and I think it will be purely cost and availability. The 18650 NMC cells with tabs for soldering and plastic spacers for mounting are $650. The Enerdel cells are about $400. We can't figure out a way for Major to ship his cells. I will be ordering the cells from Enerdel soon.

Because it will probably be July before all this snow melts :roll: and I will be able to commute on nice dry roads, I will have plenty of time to built the new battery pack. :D

-Warren.

Back