No throttle on first build

coupehdi

10 µW
Hi guys new to the forum but it's most helpful. I've bought a kit of parts to make an e scooter, I have everything connected it will power my throttle battery level lights and the display works I can use it, but the throttle doesn't make the motor turn. I have 2 green wires which apparently are for changing the direction of the motor. If i connect them I get it to spin on its own, if I twist the throttle it turns the opposite way (I've been led to believe this is correct) then I should disconnect it and try it? But it will not turn the motor. Only way to make it move is connect the green.
I currently have
Motor and its sensors plugged in
Twist throttle with ignition switch that works
Display which works
I have brake levers but i disconnected them and checked the circuit there's no connection between the brake input wires?

Any help very much appreciated I've been at it for hours lol

What controller are you using? Did the controller come with the motor?

In general, the output will be disabled if any of several conditions exist. You disconnected the brake switches, which is one thing. Other possible things that can trigger shutdown would be battery voltage too low, invalid hall sensor signal, out of range throttle signal and some controllers have a lock feature. There could be others depending on the controller.

Hi there, thanks for the help, it's a cheap Chinese thing i think by the looks of it. it's called brainpower kslg794. The whole lot came together in a kit, 350watt motor and speedo it says.
So far as I can see the brakes When pulled connect the 2 wires for the brake signal, so when released the 2 wires have no connection, so leaving them disconnected it should be the same thing? (I've tried it with them connected too but no joy)

Is it possible that the little display is stopping it from working? Or is there something in the display that needs set/programmed etc? Or should it work without the display and it's just an extra?

Sorry i know the questions are difficult to answer definitively
Thanks for any help

From your descriptions I would say…

The single green wires connected together is your “learning, or self calibration” circuit being actuated.
During this time the controller matches the position of your motor to its hall sensors for proper operation.
The change of direction with throttle operation sounds typical. And would seem to indicate the the controller is actually getting a signal from the throttle. During this time I would get the motor going in the right direction, then give it a minute or two to see if it stops.
(Never used one with this function) But it needs to be apart for normal throttle operation. Perhaps a power cycle after the learning process is completed…?

I agree that leaving your brakes disconnected during testing is an advantage.

What display do you have? A setting that comes to mind is the requirement that the wheel needs a small turn before starting.
(push start)

Any data on specific parts will be helpful. Link to parts/kit page…

Regards,
T.C.

This is my setup here, sorry the throttle and display don't seem to have any name or markings on them. I just tried giving the wheel a push and then using throttle done it both directions but unfortunately still no throttle. It runs during the learning stage and it's running strongly, plus as ya saying gets a throttle signal since turning throttle switches the motor over during learning. I've a feeling there's something dopey that I'm not doing or have got set incorrectly.

Attachments

• 20230607_210134.jpg
    20230607_210134.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230607_210117.jpg
    20230607_210117.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230607_210050.jpg
    20230607_210050.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Your sure none of those hall sensor connectors poking out the back of that connector are touching each other?
If you have an opportunity to try self learn with no hall sensors connected, may give a clue.

This link has your display, and a manual. If your vision is good. :-/
LCD800 manual

Last edited:
Some scooters have a safety feature that requires the motor to be moving before the throttle will respond. This might be hard to test without actually riding the scooter.

That was great info, thanks, since last night I've found a few videos of people with the same setup as I have, one thing I have notices is on everyone else's screen below the battery level there should be a ""power" sign and it shows how much throttle ur using (I think) but mine does not have "Power" or sny bars when throttle is twisted. So I don't know is this a fault or is something blocking it from working

If your hall sensor wiring is correct and properly isolated from each other… Perhaps it’s time to check for correct output of your hall throttle. It should be .8vdc to around 4vdc home position to full on when measured from ground to signal output.

For complete information on hall sensor throttles including how to test, see this thread.
Guide to Hall Sensor Throttle operation, testing, and modification.

If the throttle checks out good, then you may want to see if your motor’s windings are good and hall sensors are operating properly, see this thread.
Testing BLDC motor's Phase Wiring - Hall Sensors and Wiring.

Back