NOOBIE HERE. Electric Motor Kit Reccomendation?

$450 for the battery is much more realistic than $300. I would compare other battery choices for this job against this one, 46V / 8-Ah $380:

http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=161
frame%20pack-7-250x250.jpg

spinningmagnets said:
$450 for the battery is much more realistic than $300. I would compare other battery choices for this job against this one, 46V / 8-Ah $380:

frame%20pack-7-250x250.jpg

Do u reccomend this kit for my usage?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271920373206?nav=SEARCH&varId=570755747414

My weight: 180~ lbs. (81 kg)
My bike : Trek Verve 3 (Hybrid)
---------------------------------------------------------
Motor kit for 700cc (28-29inch tires) with throttle and PAS

Desired top motor speed: around 20 mph (32kph) on level ground
Desired top speed while pedaling: between 20-30 mph (32-48kph)
Desired range: About 20 miles (32 km) with mild pedaling at around 15 mph (24 kph)
Will probably commute on average about 8 miles (16 km) a day

Terrain: 92% street 8% off road
Flat to mild hills, mild dirt paths and grass
-NO extreme mountain biking-

Brakes: Doesn't matter, as long as it works great and bike stops in the end lol.

Budget: $800 MAX

That's one of the $200 DD hub kits I mentioned. Lots of people have tried them and they are OK. I think you would be happier with a geared hub, but...one good thing about a large diameter DD hub is that later, when you want more power, you can dump a ton of amps into them for a few seconds, and as long as you have some cooling off time during a cruise phase, they won't overheat. What you want to avoid is high amps on a long and steep uphill, because they will just get hotter and hotter.

If you are mechanically inclined, DD hubs respond well to oil-cooling (sealing the edges with goop, and adding a quart of ATF to the insides), but an oil-cooled hub will occasionally leak. If you do it well enough so that it doesn't leak, it transfers the interior stator heat to the broad aluminum sideplates.

spinningmagnets said:
That's one of the $200 DD hub kits I mentioned. Lots of people have tried them and they are OK. I think you would be happier with a geared hub, but...one good thing about a large diameter DD hub is that later, when you want more power, you can dump a ton of amps into them for a few seconds, and as long as you have some cooling off time during a cruise phase, they won't overheat. What you want to avoid is high amps on a long and steep uphill, because they will just get hotter and hotter.

If you are mechanically inclined, DD hubs respond well to oil-cooling (sealing the edges with goop, and adding a quart of ATF to the insides), but an oil-cooled hub will occasionally leak. If you do it well enough so that it doesn't leak, it transfers the interior stator heat to the broad aluminum sideplates.

Ahh ok....so I should look for geared hub kits....and the battery you linked me, right? I live in the USA, any kits I should buy here so that it is cheaper in cost?

https://www.electricbike.com/bmc-hub-motor-review/

Mac is cheaper then the BMC by a lot!

The BMC motor is a geared hub motor that weighs around 8 pounds, and it puts out decent power and hill climbing ability, considering its relatively light weight and small size. It is considered a high-performance high-quality motor, and can easily get a bike to 30-MPH, and even beyond while still having good efficiency.

The MAC Motor
At some point there was a split in the BMC company, and now a second cheaper “knock-off” version of the BMC is around, and it’s called the MAC motor. The MAC motor is made to a slightly lower level of quality (ie, not as nicely water-sealed) but at a much reduced cost. Among many DIY’s on the endless-sphere forum, the MAC motor has been the popular choice over the BMC. The two motors look identical from the outside, and even when taken apart they look very similiar. There are small quality differences that make the BMC slightly better than the MAC, especially when hot-rodding the motor and running over 1500 watts. Make sure that if you buy a MAC, buy the 2012 version with composite gears…not the steel or nylon gears like the MAC motors of the past.

spinningmagnets said:

ElectricBikeNoob said:
markz said:
Buy the MAC kit from EM3ev, I believe the MAC's are geared, little brother to the BMC.

Are MACS less powerful, less reliable, and less quality build than a BMC?

You can get everything from EM3ev.com, including battery and motor. The battery spinningmagnets recommended as part of the "kit w/battery" option. Whole kit will cost about $1000 including shipping - it ships from China. The upgraded, geared, MAC kit is a great way to go. Powerful and reliable. The MAC and BMC are very similar. Going with a single good vendor has its advantages in case anything goes wrong. Be sure to order a freewheel when shopping. You can shop it at http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=45&product_id=184 to see what the total cost will be, shipped to you.

arkmundi said:
spinningmagnets said:

ElectricBikeNoob said:
markz said:
Buy the MAC kit from EM3ev, I believe the MAC's are geared, little brother to the BMC.

Are MACS less powerful, less reliable, and less quality build than a BMC?

You can get everything from EM3ev.com, including battery and motor. The battery spinningmagnets recommended as part of the "kit w/battery" option. Whole kit will cost about $1000 including shipping - it ships from China. The upgraded, geared, MAC kit is a great way to go. Powerful and reliable. The MAC and BMC are very similar. Going with a single good vendor has its advantages in case anything goes wrong. Be sure to order a freewheel when shopping. You can shop it at http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=45&product_id=184 to see what the total cost will be, shipped to you.

I see it's a 48V 500 Watt motor....will this be enough to suit my needs? And is the link u provided and ALL IN ONE kit? Lol

ElectricBikeNoob said:
wesnewell said:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=70169
I can't recommend anything without knowing what country you're in. Please follow the instructions for doing that.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66302

United States.. Ohio
Now add that to the "Location" field in your profile so it appears in the location of ever post you make like the instructions above say to do. It will then show up in every post as does Wylie TX USA does in mine.

wesnewell said:
ElectricBikeNoob said:
wesnewell said:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=70169
I can't recommend anything without knowing what country you're in. Please follow the instructions for doing that.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66302

United States.. Ohio
Now add that to the "Location" field in your profile so it appears in the location of ever post you make like the instructions above say to do. It will then show up in every post as does Wylie TX USA does in mine.

Will do

ElectricBikeNoob said:
arkmundi said:
I see it's a 48V 500 Watt motor....will this be enough to suit my needs? And is the link u provided and ALL IN ONE kit? Lol
The MAC is a nominal 500-1000 watt motor, capable of being powered at 1500-2000 watts. I run my MAC 8T at 2000 watts with a 48V battery and 40 amp controller (the upgraded 12-fet 3077).

arkmundi said:
ElectricBikeNoob said:
arkmundi said:
The MAC is a nominal 500-1000 watt motor, capable of being powered at 1500-2000 watts. I run my MAC 8T at 2000 watts with a 48V battery and 40 amp controller (the upgraded 12-fet 3077).

Oh....I always thought that that was the maximum watts in it.....so if u upgrade battery and controller it can run at 1000 watts?

arkmundi said:

I am thrilled with 4 batts from EM3ev! To me there are two choices for someone who wants to have a foolproof system and spend less time looking for help. First choice ebikes.ca for kits, then EM3ev for kits and ALL batteries. I wish Grin sold Mac, but they have some great alternatives! Unless you have a trusted vendor for batts stick with the top notch builders who provide a warranty. I now have an alternative that I use to sell my batteries. But warrantees are tough to get covered. If you can afford a Grin batt and kit you won't be disappointed. From my view it's all a matter of budget and how involved you want to be. For me the cheapest kits are more fiddling, but I now enjoy the work. Then again it's nice to have a total plug and play system with the stellar support from ebikes.ca

That said I have a Mac in my cart and will own one soon. Replicating arkmundi's stellar choice for the next build.

After all research and educating myself, I am wondering is this a suitable kit for my low budget (around $850) and needs?

http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=184

My weight: 180~ lbs. (81 kg)
My bike : Trek Verve 3 (Hybrid)
---------------------------------------------------------
Motor kit for 700cc (28-29inch tires) with throttle and PAS

Desired top motor speed: around 20 mph (32kph) on level ground 
Desired top speed while pedaling: between 20-30 mph (32-48kph)
Desired range: About 20 miles (32 km) with mild pedaling at around 15 mph (24 kph)
Will probably commute on average about 8 miles (16 km) a day

Terrain: 92% street 8% off road
Flat to mild hills, mild dirt paths and grass
-NO extreme mountain biking-

Brakes: Doesn't matter, as long as it works great and bike stops in the end lol.

Budget: $850~ MAX

Regarding EM3ev warranties - I thought I'd add a note here. See my god-awful experience on the MAC 8T, OSN A123 48V on Trek Shift 3. In short - I had an axle spin-out, which took out the motor and controller followed. Twice. Rather than wait around, I ordered up a second kit, then a third kit. Ouch, you say! I decided that I wanted a second kit for redundancy. Third was unexpected.

So I now have two motors and two controllers in need of repair. Working with Paul, aka cell_man, he sends me an axle/wire-set replacement and instructions. I tool up with the axle removal tool. Replace the axle and one motor is good to go. Not so, the second motor, which apparently also had the hall sensors blown. Box up two controllers and one motor, send back for repair. I'm get that back this week. Final analysis is that the warranty & service from EM3ev has proven stellar as well. Especially liked getting just an axle from him and that working out - shipping a heavy motor back to China is expensive.

Also, for those following closely, I'll have a factory rebuilt motor & controller for sale. Don't need or want a third motor. Would like to recoup some of my excess expense. Express interest, make offers now. What will be up for sale is a complete kit, exactly what you'd be getting from EM3ev, albeit the choices I made when I bought it. Alexrims DX32 26" rim & motor hub, Sapim spokes in black, thumb throttle, the HWBS brake sensor. Can even throw in the 7 gear freewheel.

ElectricBikeNoob said:
After all research and educating myself, I am wondering is this a suitable kit ... EM3ev upgraded MAC ... Brakes: Doesn't matter, as long as it works great and bike stops in the end lol.
You've got two choices with EM3ev - the controller braking shut-off sensor in the brake lever, or in an HWBS sensor. The brake lever would replace your existing brake lever. The HWBS sensor does not - it installs on the cable between your existing lever and the brake. Study both options - research & education are the key to a happy experience. For me, the brake lever and gear shifter are all one piece on a Trek Shift 3 Hybrid. So definitely the HWBS, which was easy enough to install. A necessary part of a successful install as the sensor signals the controller to pull power, which releases the clutch, and allows free movement of the wheel.

I'm not going to say this again. Buy from a USA volume seller and get a DD kit.

ElectricBikeNoob said:
Hmmmm I see....
Uh, you're an admittedly ElectricBikeNoob, so no, you only think you see. You're getting some expert advise, albeit with some different perspectives. Only those riding a MAC know what that is. Only those on a DD know that. There are a few who have done both so could offer some intelligent differentiation.

Nelson37 said:
I notice your budget is creeping upwards. That's a good thing.

You need to be checking shipping costs when checking out kits, most ship from China and you will be impressed at the cost. You are not getting accurate pricing info unless you are adding shipping. The linked kit will go well over your budget amount delivered.

Most performance specs are quoted with a 26" wheel. Paul's info on that page is good stuff. Read it, everything he has. Think about it, then go back and read it again. He is a highly regarded vendor here, very few reports of problems, none that I have seen having gone un-resolved, and I read a LOT. He sells a lots of kits, many here who have purchased one. Plus, English is his primary language, SFAIK.

DD drives can be somewhat more reliable, fewer moving parts than geared. Performance enhancements common. They are also much heavier than geared, generally, and induce a parasitic drag when pedaled un-powered than can be significant.

You are most likely not going to be pedal-assisting any motor much past roughly 10% of it's rated top speed. Most motors are providing no boost at all past this point. If you can't pedal your current bike at 30mph, a 20mph top-speed motor isn't going to help any, and it will affect your options on changing gearing, at least a rear hub will.

Not very many people here electrifying road bikes, most use something closer to a mountain bike. Many here pedal little or rarely. Users Chas58 and Russel(something) have done something similar to your needs, I recommend you check out their builds and performance and usage results.

The MAC may be right up your alley, perhaps a Cute. I ended up with something in-between. Wanted light weight and have no hills to climb. Willing to extend range with pedaling, high speed not needed, also can assist for short hills, I went with a 4-5 lb hub and a 36V15a battery. 30 miles at 15, 18.5 top speed, 20+ miles at top speed. Been very happy.

Right haha, my budget is going up slightly lol. But every response I have gotten from everyone I have researched upon. Hmmm...a MAC you say?

Battery shipments from China are ~$100, so a cheap $210 battery is now $310.
But its comparable.
You can not go wrong with em3ev.com, just buy, hookup and ride.
I researched the death out of my purchase, I went DIY but I am impressed. I waited a year, researching, studying, pondering.
I should have just boughten a kit from a reliable supplier.

Hey, its me again , the notorious bike noob on here lol.
Any USA retailers selling FULL Conversion kits? (Motor, battery, charger, and other necessities included)

Please name some. Trying to make my life simple. :p

Lectric Cycles has their branded version of the BBS02, the eRad kits. Warehoused and shipped from Tempe AZ (Phoenix) with warranty work done there too. Nice guys.

Back