Noob's Battery Price Comparison Summary For Noobs

julesa

10 kW
The post below is what I've come up with while shopping for batteries (I'm still saving up my money)
so any corrections/suggestions/pointing-out-misconceptions are VERY welcome.

Lead acid deep cycle AGM batteries can be found for around $0.20 per rated watt hour which, when you factor in the Peukert effect, works out to more like $0.40 per real watt hour at an average 10-20 amp load. They are heavy and will probably only last, at best, half as long as any other battery, and a lot less than LiFePO4 provided you have a good BMS on your LiFePO4 pack. On the plus side, if you don't need your e-bike to go very far (less than 10 miles, or farther if you pedal a lot), lead acid batteries can give you plenty of current for a low price. With cheap 2c continuous rated batteries, you'll need to buy 20Ah or bigger to give you enough current to get you up that nasty hill on your commute.

NiCd can last almost as long as LiFePO4 if treated carefully. It weighs about half as much as lead-acid, and about twice as much as Lithium.
5c rated NiCd packs go for about $0.90 per watt-hour at http://www.ebikes.ca
3c rated NiCd packs there are $0.63 per watt-hour.
2c rated NiMH packs there are $0.76 per watt-hour
Not sure why anyone would buy those NiMH packs with the lower current output and higher price, and NiMH has a shorter cycle life than NiCd so they will go dead sooner... ??? I'm assuming the c-rates above are a measure of max continuous current. Ypedal pointed out that NiMH packs are smaller then NiCd for the same amount of energy... but if volume was that important to me I'd just buy lithium anyway.

NiMH packs are also available at batteryspace.com for $1.12 per watt-hour.... again, doesn't seem like a good deal - max continuous current is 3c:
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2538

Ping LiFePO4 packs -- he's charging about $0.63 per watt-hour if you e-mail him and order a custom-size pack directly from him. This price doesn't include shipping, which is probably $120-$150 for an average pack. Many reports of good customer service can be found -- probably the most reputable seller on ebay. Comes with BMS and a 2A charger.
According to StevenR the BMS high current cutoff is actually 60A on the 48v 20Ah pack.
Contact Li Ping at: pingping227@hotmail.com
http://stores.ebay.com/PingBattery

Headway 48V20Ah LiFePO4 pack -- $620 = $0.65 per watt-hour. Like Ping's batteries, they come with BMS and charger, but shipping them from China is expensive (around $150 per pack?) so it's more like $0.80/wh shipped to your door. There are conflicting reports on how the quality of these batteries compare with Ping's. According to Headway, "The continuous discharging current of our existing pack of 48v20Ah is 60A, and the max. peak discharging current is 80A." That says to me that I'm less likely to hit a BMS cutout on a steep hill than with Ping's packs. Hopefully it doesn't mean I'm more likely to shorten the pack's lifespan by stressing the cells. This seems like the best bargain if you don't need DeWalt/LiFeBatt/PSI/etc. high current output. Anyway, from what I've read so far, 60A continuous should be plenty for a general purpose e-bike.

The charger provided with the pack is 3 amps, made by B&R Industries. I haven't seen any reports from people who have bought Headway's pack but some have bought loose cells and have gotten good customer service from Victoria (She's responsive, there were a couple bad cells in one of the orders but they were replaced at no charge).

Contact Victoria at: market@headway-cn.com or chcj55@hotmail.com
http://headway-cn.en.alibaba.com/pr...48v20Ah_LiFePO4_lithium_ion_battery_pack.html

FoxxPower LiFePO4 -- $0.86 per watt-hour, BMS is included, charger is not. They're in the US so shipping isn't as much as Ping/Headway. These look like Thundersky cells, but if I remember correctly, Zane claims they're not. Recommended working current is 3c, so these cells are probably pretty comparable with Headway's and Ping's. Contact Zane at: zane@foxxpower.com
http://www.foxxpower.com/tech.html

Toolpacks:

Power tool batteries are pretty much guaranteed to put out as much current as you would want, so the advantage there is that you only need to buy as much battery as you need range, though this will shorten their life if you're pushing the edge of their capabilities. With a Ping pack, you've gotta buy 20Ah or more just to give you enough current to get up a hill. But that same pack will probably take you 40 miles or more, which is more than some people need. On the other hand, toolpacks are more expensive. Also, you'll need to either buy multiple toolpack chargers (and maybe even carry them all with you now and then), or build/buy a custom BMS and charger.

Note: LiMn cells will probably weigh a little less and be a little more compact per watt hour than LiFePO4, but LiMn batteries available right now usually have a cycle life around 1000 charges or less; LiFePO4 will last you twice as long or more before you need to replace it.

Canadian Tire Yardworks LiMn 20v 6Ah at $110 each = $0.92 per watt-hour
Yardworks batteries can put out up to 5c (30A/pack) - a little less than some other toolpacks are rated, but still pretty good for the money.
Milwaukee LiMn 28v 2.6Ah at $99 each = $1.36 per watt-hour
Bosch 36V 2.0Ah packs at $80 each = $1.11 per watt-hour

DeWalt nano LiFePO4 36v (actually ~33v) 2.3Ah at $140 each = $1.85 per watt-hour
Or if you want loose cells but you don't want to take the pack apart yourself you can buy them from johnrobholmes for $15.50 each = $2.04 per watt-hour:
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php?productid=135&cat=22&page=1

LiFeBatt/PSI raw LiFePO4 cells seem to go for around $40 each, or about $1.25 per watt-hour delivered to your door. This is probably the best deal if you want/need high current output (these are rated at 12c continuous!?!). If you're racing, need to go fast but not far, or carry a very big load up a short steep hill, LiFeBatt and DeWalt/A123 will be able to handle anything you can throw at them. But you need to come up with your own BMS -- Edit: A BMS kit should be available soon here for somewhere around $90: http://www.tppacks.com/products.asp?cat=26

LifeBatt LiFePO4 packs -- includes high quality BMS - about $1.96 per watt-hour

Edit -- updated 10/21:
Elite Power Solutions seems to have a decent product for a good price, and you don't have to pay the shipping from China. They have 20Ah cells, so the choice is simply between 24v, 36v, and 48v packs, unless you want to buy individual cells.

NOTE THERE IS NO BMS. No low voltage cutoff, no cell balancing, though EPS says their charger will not overcharge the pack, I would still expect problems when the cells eventually get out of balance. If I was going to buy one of these, I'd do it intending to buy a BMS and install it on the pack myself. It would still cost about the same as you'd spend on a Headway 48V 20Ah pack including shipping.
As for the quality of the cells, EPS claims a peak output of 13.7 hp for the 48v pack, lessee... 214 amps. Just noticed on their web site the cells are rated 3c continuous, 10c peak. So these cells are probably pretty close to Headway's -- while they may be capable of more, you probably don't want to take them over about 4-5c (80-100A) if you can help it, but that should be more than enough for almost all e-bikes.

I do like the fact that these prices (around $0.65/wh) include a 6 amp charger:
Subtracting $79 (their price for the included 6A charger) it's about $0.55/wh.

24v 20Ah - $331 plus shipping (USPS from Arizona)
36v 20Ah - $477 plus shipping
48v 20Ah - $623 plus shipping

Good writeup !!.. a note on the reason to go nimh over nicad, not that it's a big one.. but the size per ah.. the nimh pack is about 25% smaller volume than nicad for the same amp/hour.

If you need to haul 18ah of Ni.. or run 72v with 2 x 36v, it's easier to stuff on a bike !

edit to add :

Nimh = 8ah in a D cell
Nicad = 8ah in an F cell ! ( same diameter, but longer cell )

Ypedal said:
a note on the reason to go nimh over nicad

Yes, excellent! Thanks for taking the time to share that! Makes me want some raw PSIs like Ypedal. Another note on nimh over nicad.. again maybe silly.. but nicad is environmentally toxic bad bad bad...

You should probably also mention Konions because with a little local sleuthing at the tool repair shops some people are having success getting a lot of cells for free and they are very strong cells with potentially many 100s of good cycles left in them. I pulled a 1s2p pair down to 2.5v @ 7C last night (20a+ sustained) and it gave 2.92ah. Sweet. I know Doctorbass has done 15C on a single pair (40a+ :shock: ), but he said they got too hot at that level, but that 10C to 3v is fine. I had to take it down to 2.5v 'cause I couldn't figure out how to take into account voltage sag at the start of the CBA test! :lol: At 7C it would sag below 3v and shut off the test before recovering back up above 3v. Doh.

A tiny 10s1p 37v3ah pack weighing only 2lbs could support a 36v20a controller and 4 series motor with ease. Not bad if you only need a couple miles range. I'm becoming a huge fan of these little cells.

pwbset said:
You should probably also mention Konions because with a little local sleuthing at the tool repair shops some people are having success getting a lot of cells for free and they are very strong cells with potentially many 100s of good cycles left in them.
A tiny 10s1p 37v3ah pack weighing only 2lbs could support a 36v20a controller and 4 series motor with ease. Not bad if you only need a couple miles range. I'm becoming a huge fan of these little cells.

Nice! I did check around a couple local tool repair shops. The DeWalt service center simply refused outright -- our local shop apparently follows a strict company policy about handling their returned battery packs. The other tool repair place I checked with said they simply weren't seeing very many dead lithium packs.

julesa said:
Edit: Apparently Ping is testing a new BMS, maybe with a higher current cutoff???

FWIW, the one I bought from ping a couple weeks ago for my 20Ah battery has a cutoff of 60A, according to him.

Link said:
julesa said:
Edit: Apparently Ping is testing a new BMS, maybe with a higher current cutoff???

FWIW, the one I bought from ping a couple weeks ago for my 20Ah battery has a cutoff of 60A, according to him.

Hmm. Maybe his ebay page is out of date; there's a 48v 20Ah pack on there right now that says it has a 40A cutoff... on the other hand it does say "60A maximum dischaging current" which seems a little confusing. Maybe the current cutoff triggers only if it sees > 40A for some short period of time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/48V-20AH-LiFePO...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1308&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

julesa said:
Not sure why anyone would buy those NiMH packs with the lower current output and higher price, and NiMH has a shorter cycle life than NiCd so they will go dead sooner... ??? I'm assuming the c-rates above are a measure of max continuous current.
Hi,

NiCd are the most toxic.

Are you sure NiMH have a shorter life cycle? I know they have a great BMS and only use about 50% of the capacity but NiMH last a very long time in Prius's.

Prius packs are used very gently to get max cycles out of em. That is why they have a no motor running range of about a mile. They never get below 30% charge, and never charge above 70%.

Update:
Milwaukee 18v 3Ah packs can be found online for $55, or about $1.00 per watt-hour:
http://www.hardwaresalesinc.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/SFV/32362/vpid/4525313/vpcsid/0/rid/127067

Also, there's a nice charger available that can charge 3 packs at a time at 3A each:
http://www.brandtoolsonline.com/mil-48-59-0280.html

The Headway 48V 20Ah pack still beats it on value by quite a bit at $0.66 per watt hour with 60A continuous/80A peak output, but if you don't need 48v 20Ah, these guys might be a good way to go.

Bosch 36V packs are going for about $75 a pack on ebay. That works out to be ~$0.87/Wh (2.4Ah each).

Also, dewalt packs are really only 33V nominal voltage.

Ted_Z said:
Bosch 36V packs are going for about $75 a pack on ebay. That works out to be ~$0.87/Wh (2.4Ah each).

Also, dewalt packs are really only 33V nominal voltage.

Nice! You didn't mention that the $75 includes free shipping, either! When you factor in air shipping from China, the Headway pack is more like $0.80/wh, so those Bosch packs are a great deal!

I'm still leaning towards Headway though myself. The 60A continuous rating is good enough for me, and I need a long-range setup anyway so being able to carry one small 3A charger with me and being able to plug in the whole pack and forget about it is nice -- better than having to manage charging multiple small packs. I think that's worth buying more capacity than I probably need, anyway someday I might need the full 20Ah.

Ted_Z said:
Aren't these 2.0 Ah packs? Also, seems like the price is closer to $80/pack in any significant quantity. If so, wouldn't that be more like $1.11/Wh?

Tom said:
Ted_Z said:
Aren't these 2.0 Ah packs? Also, seems like the price is closer to $80/pack in any significant quantity. If so, wouldn't that be more like $1.11/Wh?

Whoops, yes they are 2.0 Ah -- that's what I get for not checking. Thanks, Tom!

Hmmm, I note Bosch doesn't really say what the capacity is while sellers are indicating 2.0Ah. This link seems to indicate 2.4ah 10S2P. Not sure which to believe.

Anyone heard from Mr. Raymond King (PSI contact) lately? I can't seem to get any answers to e-mail from him. I'd really like to get some Lifebatt/PSI cells at this $40 a cell price point.

paull said:
Anyone heard from Mr. Raymond King (PSI contact) lately? I can't seem to get any answers to e-mail from him. I'd really like to get some Lifebatt/PSI cells at this $40 a cell price point.

I think it's actually a lot less than that - from what Ypedal said, the $40/cell was his delivered to the door price -- it included shipping, duties, taxes etc.

I read somewhere it was actually less than $30 per cell. I e-mailed too -- also haven't heard back. Maybe he's on vacation or maybe his email isn't working, I don't know. You might want to try mis@psi.com.tw or energy@psi.com.tw, the contact e-mails on their web site.

Yeah, $40 was shipped etc. Armin in AU will sell them at $40 before shipping but by the time I added copper bars and shipping it was $47 per cell.

I paid 24.50 per cell USD,

Before shipping/duties/brokerage/one 72v BMS / copper tabs / nuts and bolts / plastic end caps / BMS color coded wires with ring tabs / Money wire fee, all that ended up at 40 $ at my door per cell. No chargers.

If anyone is reallly serious about it, and wants at least 48 cells, you can email me and i can try to contact Raymond on your behalf, i'd buy and resell but at this price it gets a bit insane for now, IF.. huge IF .. i manage to build these cells into packs with charger BMS all that good stuff sorted out beforehand.. the price per pack would either give you a heart attack or cost more than Don Harmons lol..

Updated original post to add:

Elite Power Solutions seems to have a decent product for a good price, and you don't have to pay the shipping from China. They have 20Ah cells, so the choice is simply between 24v, 36v, and 48v packs, unless you want to buy individual cells.

NOTE THERE IS NO BMS. No low voltage cutoff, no cell balancing, though EPS says their charger will not overcharge the pack, I would still expect problems when the cells eventually get out of balance. If I was going to buy one of these, I'd do it intending to buy a BMS and install it on the pack myself. It would still cost about the same as you'd spend on a Headway 48V 20Ah pack including shipping. As for the quality of the cells, EPS claims a peak output of 13.7 hp for the 48v pack, lessee... 214 amps? ~10C ?? Did I add that up right? I'd sure love to find out if these cells can live up to that!

I do like the fact that these prices (around $0.65/wh) include a 6 amp charger:
Subtracting $79 (their price for the included 6A charger) it's about $0.55/wh.

24v 20Ah - $331 plus shipping (USPS from Arizona - probably $30-50 for most of us)
36v 20Ah - $477 plus shipping
48v 20Ah - $623 plus shipping

If you want a 48v/20ah I would not look a gift horse in the mouth. Grab one of ping's "buy it now" batteries on ebay for $570 shipped (after $200 live.com cash back) while they are still available and the cash back promotion is at 30%.

Tom said:
If you want a 48v/20ah I would not look a gift horse in the mouth. Grab one of ping's "buy it now" batteries on ebay for $570 shipped (after $200 live.com cash back) while they are still available and the cash back promotion is at 30%.

Edited to say... I am definitely tempted. Thanks for speading the word, Tom.

Have no idea. It's been 30% since last friday. Conventional wisdom says it will not last much longer. Historically it's gone up to 20-30% but not for long. More often than not it's been <10% so the 30% is rare. Why do you think a ping battery will not work for you? 48v/20ah seems plenty to be feeding an ebike. Will you need more than 40 amps (2c)?

Also, if you need a higher c rating, the bosch 36v drill kits are selling for <$200 shipped on ebay with a charger and 2 fat pack battteries. Each battery is 36v/2.4ah (based on the ah capacity of the 2s10p cells inside). After 30% cash back you can get the drill kits for <$140 shipped. Buy 3 drill kits, devise a way to hook 6 batteries in parallel, and voila, you have a 36v/14ah battery with 10c rating for $420 shipped, including 3 chargers. Sell the drills to cut the price further (or harvest the battery connectors from them for a plug and play system). I started to go this route, but decided a 36v/20ah ping battery would be simpler, lighter, more compact, etc.

Tom said:
Have no idea. It's been 30% since last friday. Conventional wisdom says it will not last much longer. Historically it's gone up to 20-30% but not for long. More often than not it's been <10% so the 30% is rare. Why do you think a ping battery will not work for you? 48v/20ah seems plenty to be feeding an ebike. Will you need more than 40 amps (2c)?

Peak draw will probably be close to 40 amps, but I don't know exactly. I bought a relatively untested system and I'm just guessing by specs other people have posted here. A Crystalyte 408 with a 25 amp controller should be a reasonable comparison to my setup. I've read that higher cell quality will usually pay off in a longer lifespan if the cells are babied; I'm a little concerned that if my local hills trigger a 50amp draw (or worse yet, the pack cuts out at 60 amps) that I'll be cutting into the pack's lifespan, whereas with cells rated at 5c or higher I don't have to worry so much. Am I crazy to think I might ever see a 60 amp draw?

Back