Nucular electronics - complete kit for ev!

Hello, reading about foc controllers, and that theyre better that sinewawe controllers, i made up my mind about your controller, and all that goes with it . Im currently driwing qs motor 1000w with some cheap kt controller 1500w with good battery from upp company, 48v 50amp bms, in the future i just preordered your controller, my plan is to use it with triangle battery box from upp 48v/52v 50amp bms 31.5ah with leaf motor 1500w 6t i think with your controller and screen, and put a front light on my bike using your can bus what it is . Is that a good thing for 6f?

VasiliSk said:
Send your feedback!
https://feedback.nucular.tech/
Vote, discuss and suggest features or bugs!

Feedback? here it is;
If you order a brand new Hypercar for millions of dollars theres a few months waiting period, thats illogical that there is 6 month waiting period for a controller (and thats a best case from what I've seen) You guys don't like money or what? no intention to be rude, but I see so many people on facebook groups and here thats on the waiting list for months, some from February 2020, that is ridiculous.
and then theres a specific guy from russia thats taking advantage of the situation who actually sold a USED 24F controller with onboard computer for 1700$..... are you guys serious? you can make x1000 the money you're making if just even take deposits which will actually make people feel like they'll get something soon and you will get the money to order parts and hire manpower to help.
Obviously there is a demand for your controllers, Why don't you step up...?

You picked a great day to voice your opinion because I was just going to write the exact opposite thing you did.
I received my controller---TODAY!
I waited approx. 4 months to get it and it surprisingly it got from Moscow to me in Virginia, USA in just 2 days shipping time. WOW!
I wanted to thank the Nucular team and the way they are currently doing business.
The product looks very good. I just unboxed it and everything was there EXACTLY as promised on my order.
They are still in development with this product and because of that, I feel they are taking a slow roll on the orders.
I am appreciative of that as it protect me and my money until they are able to produce the latest, high quality version of the device.
Also, from what I have seen and learned while waiting, they are giving excellent support to people because the problems don't seem to be out of control with a huge user base.
Until the product is more mature, I think they will continue to tweak it. When ready, they will probably ramp up. Hopefully, the quality wont go down.
I do not have any affiliation with them and I am certainly not speaking for them. These are just my personal opinions.
I support this product SPECIFICALLY because of the careful way they are developing quality products and doing business.
I feel that this mode of operation protects both themselves and me at this time.

Mikebike said:
You picked a great day to voice your opinion because I was just going to write the exact opposite thing you did.
I received my controller---TODAY!
I waited approx. 4 months to get it and it surprisingly it got from Moscow to me in Virginia, USA in just 2 days shipping time. WOW!
I wanted to thank the Nucular team and the way they are currently doing business.
The product looks very good. I just unboxed it and everything was there EXACTLY as promised on my order.
They are still in development with this product and because of that, I feel they are taking a slow roll on the orders.
I am appreciative of that as it protect me and my money until they are able to produce the latest, high quality version of the device.
Also, from what I have seen and learned while waiting, they are giving excellent support to people because the problems don't seem to be out of control with a huge user base.
Until the product is more mature, I think they will continue to tweak it. When ready, they will probably ramp up. Hopefully, the quality wont go down.
I do not have any affiliation with them and I am certainly not speaking for them. These are just my personal opinions.
I support this product SPECIFICALLY because of the careful way they are developing quality products and doing business.
I feel that this mode of operation protects both themselves and me at this time.

Thats nice. 24F?
I know personally a guy thats waiting for 24F since February. Im waiting since May.

I 2nd Mikebike. I also was impressed with the sale once my number came up and the shipping was quick and easy.

I have been around the diy electric vehicle community for over 10 years now. In that time I have seen awesome controllers born out of the DIY market go extinct. It's hard to develop a product as an individual and then ramp up into a full company. Once the handful of diy customers have controllers in their hands then you are left with massive overhead like factories and production facilities to pay for. Nucular is doing an awesome job with an awesome product and if they grow too fast we will lose them. If they take deposits then they have a bunch of angry people on the list.

Please be patient with them. If they decide they don't want the stress of angry DIY builders they might quit making them or sell out to a larger company who will take their design and produce it with counterfeit junk and no tech support.

Faster would of course be FANTASTIC

but I do not think we should feel entitled to that, given he's a one man show, during COVID, and in Russia!

Let the man work out his business plan as he sees fit! If you can't stand the wait, buy a cheaper substitute to tide you over. . .

Taking deposits in advance would be a **huge** negative IMO.

Hertzelz said:
You can make x1000 the money you're making if just even take deposits which will actually make people feel like they'll get something soon and you will get the money to order parts and hire manpower to help.
Just goes to show, you can't make all the people happy all of the time :roll:

The fact that they don't take deposits is the greatest show that they're not out to rip people off. Get in line, obligation free.

And you want to pay a deposit, as if that would make people happy to wait?

They're making the controllers as fast as they can. Consider that they are still under development, and covid fcked everything up for the supply chain. Particularly international shipping.

I personally own a 12F. It is fcking awesome. Couldn't be happier. Totally worth the wait.

Oh, and the personalised support they provide is first class. Just makes the best controller that much better.

I can't say enough good things about Nucular.

If the wait had caused unacceptable delay to my project, then I'd buy a shit Chinese controller for the interim, and upgrade once the Nuc turned up. Improvise, adapt, and overcome.

Just keep in mind, they don't owe you anything.

Also waiting since May for 12F, it's killing me! I would also echo the sentiments to scale appropriately for the demand. Don't know if problem is with insufficient labor or unavoidable parts shortages or what. I would think if the problem was easily solvable, Nucular would have done so already though. They are clearly highly intelligent to design and build such well respected controllers. I can only continue waiting
cover14.jpg

It's true that the wait is extremely long and it's true that if we could order the controllers and receive them without pre-ordering that would be great. But I believe that Nucular should not be confused with industrial production. It is a small company which manufactures in very small series and develops electronic equipment. I don't know if the team is big but I have the impression that Nucular is mainly based on Vasiliy. You just have to be patient, very patient!

Hertzelz said:
Feedback? here it is;
If you order a brand new Hypercar for millions of dollars theres a few months waiting period, thats illogical that there is 6 month waiting period for a controller (and thats a best case from what I've seen) You guys don't like money or what?
Try to preorder Tesla Roadster, which was unveiled in 2017 and maybe available in 2022... :wink:

Huge Tesla with all its capabilities, experience, and money can't start mass production of the new car. What about us, a small engineering company from a country with bad economics, weak national currency, and under sanctions? I'm Dima Bogdanchikov from Nucular team, a guy who answers hundreds of messages from our clients around the world by email, telegram, WhatsApp, and pm from the forum. The most often questions about waiting time. Our big dream and main goal to have our devices in stock, without a queue. Just come and buy, like in most companies.

We are a small engineering company and in order to stay on the market, we have only one way — to do devices with high quality and reliability. Otherwise, no one will buy our products and we will go out of the market. Our devices are used by clients from 60 countries in the world. This is a great responsibility.

Because of the long waiting time, we do not take money for a pre-order, waiting for you is free, you want to wait or not, we do not force, we cannot guarantee the term in principle. Otherwise, we can get many dissatisfied customers who made an advance payment and did not receive their orders on time.

The peculiarity of our work at the moment is that we are in the mode of constant testing and product improvement. Firmware updates come out, new PCBs come out, new products are developed. A new PCB means that it must be designed, ordered, SMD mounted, assembled, tested, and only then assembled in a finished device and given to the client. Therefore, the terms are stretched in time. In addition, we do it in small batches, because there is no serial production yet. This means that the next batch may end right on your queue number and you will have to wait for the next one. We can estimate the batch number and the queue size only approximately because sometimes defectives that reduce the future number of assembled devices.

We don't have a big ERP system for inventory control, logistics, and tracking, only a small CRM. We work with a permanent queue and new pre-orders. I am already silent about the constant fall of the ruble currency. We buy almost all components in dollars. And now also a problem with coronavirus, with factories, with customs and logistics. We do not know, how to try to meet the deadlines with such force majeure. These are the features of our activity.

For now, we develop automated test equipment to maintain quality and increase production volumes. We are also working on special equipment so that contractors do not allow defects. We are actively preparing for mass production. We already have many products: 6F, 12F, 24F controllers, Display.

In production and tests BMS16S (two types with different max amperage), in design BMS24S. We started production of the first batch of uLight, our new lighting control controller. Also, we are working on the next interesting devices which will allow creating a unified management ecosystem for light electric vehicles. We work 6 days a week by 12 hours a day to create a quality product and maintain reliability when moving to mass production.

So, long read detected ) Thank you all who are waiting or already got preorders, thanks to you we can develop, prepare for serial production, and the absence of queues.

Special thanks to our Patrons. If you want to support us we will be happy https://www.patreon.com/nuculartech.

Have a nice day, folks!

Turbomatic said:
Hertzelz said:
Feedback? here it is;
If you order a brand new Hypercar for millions of dollars theres a few months waiting period, thats illogical that there is 6 month waiting period for a controller (and thats a best case from what I've seen) You guys don't like money or what?
Try to preorder Tesla Roadster, which was unveiled in 2017 and maybe available in 2022... :wink:

Huge Tesla with all its capabilities, experience, and money can't start mass production of the new car. What about us, a small engineering company from a country with bad economics, weak national currency, and under sanctions? I'm Dima Bogdanchikov from Nucular team, a guy who answers hundreds of messages from our clients around the world by email, telegram, WhatsApp, and pm from the forum. The most often questions about waiting time. Our big dream and main goal to have our devices in stock, without a queue. Just come and buy, like in most companies.

We are a small engineering company and in order to stay on the market, we have only one way — to do devices with high quality and reliability. Otherwise, no one will buy our products and we will go out of the market. Our devices are used by clients from 60 countries in the world. This is a great responsibility.

Because of the long waiting time, we do not take money for a pre-order, waiting for you is free, you want to wait or not, we do not force, we cannot guarantee the term in principle. Otherwise, we can get many dissatisfied customers who made an advance payment and did not receive their orders on time.

The peculiarity of our work at the moment is that we are in the mode of constant testing and product improvement. Firmware updates come out, new PCBs come out, new products are developed. A new PCB means that it must be designed, ordered, SMD mounted, assembled, tested, and only then assembled in a finished device and given to the client. Therefore, the terms are stretched in time. In addition, we do it in small batches, because there is no serial production yet. This means that the next batch may end right on your queue number and you will have to wait for the next one. We can estimate the batch number and the queue size only approximately because sometimes defectives that reduce the future number of assembled devices.

We don't have a big ERP system for inventory control, logistics, and tracking, only a small CRM. We work with a permanent queue and new pre-orders. I am already silent about the constant fall of the ruble currency. We buy almost all components in dollars. And now also a problem with coronavirus, with factories, with customs and logistics. We do not know, how to try to meet the deadlines with such force majeure. These are the features of our activity.

For now, we develop automated test equipment to maintain quality and increase production volumes. We are also working on special equipment so that contractors do not allow defects. We are actively preparing for mass production. We already have many products: 6F, 12F, 24F controllers, Display.

In production and tests BMS16S (two types with different max amperage), in design BMS24S. We started production of the first batch of uLight, our new lighting control controller. Also, we are working on the next interesting devices which will allow creating a unified management ecosystem for light electric vehicles. We work 6 days a week by 12 hours a day to create a quality product and maintain reliability when moving to mass production.

So, long read detected ) Thank you all who are waiting or already got preorders, thanks to you we can develop, prepare for serial production, and the absence of queues.

Special thanks to our Patrons. If you want to support us we will be happy https://www.patreon.com/nuculartech.

Have a nice day, folks!

Thanks for your detailed response, everything is clearer now although Tesla is not an accurate example..

A suggestion: add a 'status check' option on your site according to order number, that will be beneficial for both you and the customers - no more 'whats my status' emails, and real-time status check (even if its not 100% real-time and updated daily/weekly) for buyers...

Thanks for the write-up Dima on what's going on behind the scenes, transparency is really appreciated.

Hertzelz said:
Thanks for your detailed response, everything is clearer now although Tesla is not an accurate example..

A suggestion: add a 'status check' option on your site according to order number, that will be beneficial for both you and the customers - no more 'whats my status' emails, and real-time status check (even if its not 100% real-time and updated daily/weekly) for buyers...

Second the website status check idea, weekly would be just fine of what range of preorder #s is currently in work. This cut down all of the unnecessary emails checking on status from me and likely many others too like Hertzelz said. Great idea!

Out of habit I made a pre-charge resistor lead off of the main battery input of my new Micro controller today. I used a 50ohm resistor in parallel with the main leads that I connect first.

Was this needed? Does the nucular already have some spark suppression to prevent the inrush spark at the battery connection?

DanGT86 said:
Was this needed? Does the nucular already have some spark suppression to prevent the inrush spark at the battery connection?
I previously asked about it. Vasiliy's response was that the controller doesn't have precharge resistors and doesn't need it, but if you want it for your battery connectors, then that's no problem and won't bother the controller.

Makes sense. So it wont damage the controller but is still needed to keep the spark down on the contacts.

I move my battery between a few bikes so I never leave it connected.

I sure wish there was an elegant solution for precharge. My battery connections all have anderson PP connections for precharge and xt90s for main discharge. It works fine for me but trying to explain it to someone who doesnt know or care about electronics is annoying.

I guess a contactor with a precharge resistor and key switch would work but the contactor would weigh 3x the controller.

I am using the Diesel engine preheating relay to pre-charge the capacitors. I love this system because it's visual, thanks to the amber light.
[youtube]ACvR0KiG-vo[/youtube]

Nice solution. I'm assuming there is a main contactor in there. You have more room under the hood than my bike.

I thought about one of these Marine breakers with a resistor in parallel. But even that is a bit big. They also aren't rated for 84v so I dont know how long if ever it would take to burn the contacts.

308E8961-8B53-46BE-A242-32CE9197A0FF.jpeg

FWIW. I waited nearly 9 months. I'm not what could be described as a patient man. From my perspective, instant gratification takes far too long.

When I opened the box, and could smell fresh soldering, and saw the attention to detail, the wait was worth it. I offered payment in full in advance, and they would not accept it. I know integrity when I see it. I have bought controllers from some very well known sources, Including one from the apparent Messiah of EVs, and none compare. You can trust Vasili, and his merry band of Mad Monks. If the controller which I'm in the process of installing is even half as good as it appears, I will send them a donation, because they don't charge enough.

And I'm as miserly as I'm impatient.

DanGT86 said:
I guess a contactor with a precharge resistor and key switch would work but the contactor would weigh 3x the controller.

I use a manual mechanical contactor I harvested from a large portable battery booster. It's quite small. Smaller, and lighter than an ignition switch. A quarter turn clockwise, and it's on.

Keyswitch on first, then contactor. Shut down sequence is the reverse. No resistor, but once, maybe twice a year, I take it apart, and dress the contacts with a fine file. They give lots of warning that they need cleaning.

Looking for a little help regarding a 3 speed switch. I have a 3 position switch connected to I05 I06 and ground in the I02 port. I can only get speed 2 and 3.

In the I/O configuration menu I have:
Speeds mode - switch
Can Port 5 - S 1of3
Can Port 6 - S 3of3

I tried swapping those 2 settings to check for a wiring problem and it does change which direction on my switch gives me speed 3 so I know the wiring is OK.

What am I missing here? This is how I have it connected.
switch capture.PNG

Also, I did a full auto setup on the motor. The bike was off the ground so there was no load on the wheel. Its a direct drive chain mid drive setup. Since there was no load the chain flops around quite a bit when the motor is at 6krpm. Is there anything to be gained here by disconnecting the chain for the motor calibration since that chain slop creates a variable load condition? I'm not sure how precise that needs to be.

I did the auto-setup at 9 amps. OMG that chain could have murdered someone with BB mid drive setup. PLEASE be careful that all your wires and limbs are out of the way.

The motor also makes a high pitched electrical squeal when it starts from zero rpm. Is this normal? It starts smoothly and the throttle response feels nice and natural but the noise is kinda gross. Should I be worried about that?

Thanks.

I love how configurable this thing is but its a bit overwhelming at first setup.

I just turned the controller off and back on again and now Speed number 1 is available. I don't know if this is an issue that needs to be addressed in firmware or if I just didn't read the manual well enough but I have speed one now!!

Now if I could just get it to stop raining I could go ride this thing! :thumb:

It only gets better. These controllers are pure gold. The 24 F is awesome for a motorbike.
You only have to play a little with the parameters and learn what the influence is.

You are so not joking!!!

This thing is absolutely awesome. My old setup required so much tuning to get the dead spot out of the throttle while rolling at speed. This Nuc responds instantly. Its perfectly intuitive. Its like its reading my mind. A few adjustments to the throttle curve and I'll be able to start working on my wheelies from a roll!!!

Awesome work Nucular team!!

Back