• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Nukeproof Mega - Where am I going to put the battery!?

I bought this bike with a Bafang BBS02 or BBSHD conversion in mind, but I am struggling to find a battery that will fit in the triangle. The gap from the downtube to the shock is 70mm. Can anyone help?

Mega-TR-275-silver01-1270x847.jpg

Custom battery. I notice people in a certain vendors shill facebook group trying to steer you to a tiny 7ah pack. Thats insane for life as well as range.

Get it done right.

And why is one of the mods trying to get you to bust the damn iscg tabs off? What drive are you fitting?

Or use rivnuts beneath the downtube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nukeproof 16ah Turnigy Graphene.jpg

This is the 2012 Mega TR 26er with a couple 6s 16mah Turnigy batteries ~700wh. Looks like the 275 has a little less space to work with.

Sam is right a custom pack would be ideal, but looking at the space you have to work with a 14s4p shark pack set at the bottom of the triangle may just clear. To gain a few more mm to work with you can remove the shock lock out lever.

So why not put a shark pack on top of the top tube? Is it really such a big deal to not be able to put both feet down? I've been riding for months with a shark on my top tube and it's been no real issue. In fact I've slid up on it once or twice like a fuel tank on a MX bike with no ill effects :wink:
image.jpeg

BTW the seat (as pictured) is unnaturally tall to allow my work stand to grip the stem. I lower it several inches when riding....

I find a battery less than 10 pounds is not a problem to carry on the rear rack. Does it affect handling? of course it does. But not enough to prevent me from riding some pretty technical dirt. so a seat post rack with reinforcement can be an option, for a 48v 10 ah.

Custom pack and box is of course a good idea too. It could even be 7 ah in the frame, and 7 more on the bars. Endless options for custom.

Which choice depends a lot on your needs. If it's street or dirt roads, a rear rack will just be easy. If' it's riding really technical single track, then you will appreciate getting as much of the battery as you can in the frame.

If you plan to just sip 200w,, then why won't a 7 ah pack be plenty? Just don't set your assist level high if you do that though. Stack on another small battery for the higher power ride.

Does seem odd to sip 200w yet buy a bbs02 or bbshd. Would be better with an 01 then.

A big punch from the larger drives occasionally on a 7ah pack wouldn't end well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well,, I don't think he'll be sipping 200w. But he can carry 16 ah,, but carry only 8 of in in his relatively small triangle.

Custom is the key,, if a small frame mount pack fits, it can start with that. Then parallel something else, like a less than 10 pound rack pack.

It just depends on his needs. For my hauling ass off road, I carry 10 ah, 8 ah usable of lipo. I pull 2000w all I want, but by the time I use that pack up, I'm used up riding that hard. about 8 miles of riding is plenty at that power level.

Back