NYX / QS-205 / Max-E

robohead said:
brumbrum said:
A mate of mine on here 'Jonboy' uses a hall sensor and magnet attached to the rear brake lever on the handle bar, i tried it out on sunday and it feels very natural and progressive like normal brake behaviour, i was very very impressed.
He just took apart a hall throttle and wired the sensor onto the regen cable afaik. Having the rear brake on the left hand side of course. Try pm'ing him if you are interested.

That's cool, I however I did not want the breaks directly tied to regen. On big hills the regen is helpful but you don't always want use break pads at the same time. So independent systems is my route. But the concept is mostly the same. So I might reach out later to probe about the min/max regen settings JB is using. I found a few left hand thumb throttles last night for cheap ($6-$7 bucks) that might work pretty well and would probably be safer vs a full twist throttle.

-cheers

Chris, there is still time to change for a left hand thumb throttle to put regen. However, there is a really nice feature with adaptto controllers: you can variate the regen using the same throttle that you use to apply power!

Here how it goes:
1. Press and HOLD (really important) the regen button with you left hand . It will disable the throttle .
2. With your right hand, let the throttle go back to origin. Now your throttle is in regen function
3. Now, when you turn the throttle, it acts like a variable regen.

Also, the cool thing is that you can change the function to do only normal regen with the on/off switch whenever you want.

Let me know if that solution suits you.

NYXBikes said:
However, there is a really nice feature with adaptto controllers: you can variate the regen using the same throttle that you use to apply power!
Also, the cool thing is that you can change the function to do only normal regen with the on/off switch whenever you want.

Yeah buddy, let's ship it with this setup you just mentioned. Sounds like it would take a little getting used to, but might indeed be even safer vs my knee or something else unsuspectingly hitting a variable regen throwing me into a near full stop, skid or spill.

Regen using the throttle sounds like a really bad idea.

Imagine a scenario where you are slowing doing with regen but then get in a situation where you need to gas it to get out of the way...

JumperJackFlash said:

Imagine a scenario where you are slowing doing with regen but then get in a situation where you need to gas it to get out of the way...

Well buddy, no ICE/gas here! :p

But it does not sound like a real problem. If your slowing down using regen you already have your hands where they would need to be. You release the thumb button and the throttle which is sprung, springs back to place. You just re-twist. Few millisec at most? What would be bad is if there was like a 2 second delay in being able to use the power. The 1st ebike I had put a delay in using the motor after breaking within a few seconds. It was meant to be a safety feature, but in the end I think it was just a bad idea that put me more at risk for not having power when I needed it.

JumperJackFlash said:
Especially when you put on the power and get braking instead or vice versa...
Yeah but it sounds like I have a few options here to see what is going to work best. Simple push button when needed, or more refined variable breaking. Everything I keep learning about the Adaptto's feature set just keeps getting better and better.

Surely you can, with a hall sensor on the brake lever, just map the regen to reach 100% before the pads start to bite?

No weird nonlinearities or reversals with switches, just as much brake as you want, and with the smoothest and most intuitive possible failover to mechanical braking in the case of insufficient RPM or electrical failure.

The switch + throttle method sounds pointlessly suicidal.

jmz said:
Surely you can, with a hall sensor on the brake lever, just map the regen to reach 100% before the pads start to bite?

No weird nonlinearities or reversals with switches, just as much brake as you want, and with the smoothest and most intuitive possible failover to mechanical braking in the case of insufficient RPM or electrical failure.

For sure this method is not intended for offroad usage but more convenient on road and you can still switch to only an on/off switch mode.

Do you have any pictures of the hall sensor on the brake lever ? Adaptto has a video on that on their website but they are holding the hall and the magnet by hand..

Last option could also to use a left hand thumb throttle.

If I missed some posts here or skipped valuable posts regarding regen pardon me in advance.

@JumperJackFlash I really can't see any problems with variable regen on the throttle. Roll off throttle a little to get a little regen. Roll off throttle a lot or even 100% to get more regen or even full regen. If you for some reason need to "undo" regen [strike]hit ctrl + Z on your keyboard[/strike] just roll back on the throttle and regen instantly vanish and power is back into motor for acceleration.

The same goes for button regen. Why would it be a problem? Push the button with your thumb, if you need to undo let your thumb go.
If you got a high powered e-bike I expect you are riding with one or two fingers on the brake levers at all time anyway. If regen is not what you need for the situation you are in just undo the regen while you hit both brake levers.

It just seems you are overthinking this. Regen is great, variable regen even more great. It is not dangerous, if you don't like regen don't use. But throwing around claims that regen is a hazard to use just seems so wrong. And I have not even seen a valid argument as to why regen or variable regen is considered a hazard by you. For me it seems that it is only your point of view that regen is dangerous. Seems more of a feeling then a fact.

JumperJackFlash said:
Macribs read the thread.

I did and I saw this:

As I said earlier. If you would like to undo regen roll back onto the throttle and regen is instantly removed and power is back into motor.

Macribs,

I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

Controlling regen with the throttle (meaning there is a toggle switch that makes the throttle either 100% regen or 100% throttle) is a bad idea.

Oh ok, so you are saying the toggle switch is likely to fail? Not sure I still don't understand what you mean. Could be that my understanding of throttle regen is totally wrong, or could be a language barrier as english is not my native language.

Macribs,

I'm saying that having a toggle switch setup might endanger you in an emergency situation...because you will have to think "disable regen to avoid car slamming into me then hit throttle" rather than "hit the throttle and get out of the way".

_Yeah I think that will only be true the very first few times you ride a new setup like that. Within a few rides such a setup will feel all natural and you will roll on/off throttle with ease in any given situation.

macribs said:
_Yeah I think that will only be true the very first few times you ride a new setup like that. Within a few rides such a setup will feel all natural and you will roll on/off throttle with ease in any given situation.

I tend to agree that it should become a natural behavior pretty quick. ie: not my 1st time playing any given video game..
Also being able to toggle this feature is a bonus. Having NYX set it up for me is a bonus out the gate. If I later decide to switch it up there is no real loss other than time.

I'm really just hope the Max-E and QS205 combo works out together and we don't all end up with piss poor performance. NYX and the doc seem to have this dialed in for some top speed. No idea about take off and low rpm. Alex did raise concerns in another thread that could be problematic, but hopefully one of you will dig into that.

From what I understand so far the Extra/V3 and V3 seem to be the same thing for the sake the others trying this combo. The extra name probably came around from it's beginnings of a late V2. Maybe something like (V2+Extra = V3); but that's just guessing.

Good luck to us all.

NYXBikes said:
jmz said:

For sure this method is not intended for offroad usage but more convenient on road and you can still switch to only an on/off switch mode.

Do you have any pictures of the hall sensor on the brake lever ? Adaptto has a video on that on their website but they are holding the hall and the magnet by hand..

Last option could also to use a left hand thumb throttle.

I haven't built one up myself yet, but I think ideally you would have the magnet attached to a small arm at a 90 degree angle to the brake lever, facing back towards the bar, that moves towards the hall sensor mounted to the lever body.

best to just keep it simple perhaps.
i just love using one of these for regen w/max-e, great to have it separate from the discs and throttle id say.
wuxing throttle.jpg

btw, im keen to hear how the qs tunes up with the max-e
which version is it, v3 export or v3 extra with deeper stator slots for more fill?

ridethelightning said:
which version is it, v3 export or v3 extra with deeper stator slots for more fill?

here we go again more confusion. V3-Export vs V3-Extra.. I've never seen a V3-Export. Only a V2-Export. Do you happen to have a link that explicitly states there are 2 diff V3's ?

robohead said:
ridethelightning said:

here we go again more confusion. V3-Export vs V3-Extra.. I've never seen a V3-Export. Only a V2-Export. Do you happen to have a link that explicitly states there are 2 diff V3's ?
no confusion intended :D
just hearsay. i dont have a link.
perhaps the export/extra are the same thing as you say.

{edit} quick search suggests that indeed there is only the v2 export and v3 extra. no v3 export as you said.

vito may be able to answer definitely.

ridethelightning said:
{edit} quick search suggests that indeed there is only the v2 export and v3 extra.

vito may be able to answer definitely.

If you get an answer from Vito, please share it back here. Thanks.

image.png

Back