Oatnet goes Vectrix!

HI OATNET: It's been a while since poster anything. I have gotten back to my vectrix after few years if letting it sit after my batterys sort of died ,I think they were damaged at the dealership before I bought the bike. anyway about 2 yrs ago after the bike would not charge anymore I opened it up and unpluged the blue connectors in order to try and save some of the cells. I was able to buy a (150 volt .3amp power supply and revived the batterys up to about 135 volt and the used the bike charger to try and see how much I could pump into them and it will charge up to 149 volt but over night it drops back to about 137 volt and stays there so il looks like it will be about 1/2 charge. now I just bought a (24 pack of nissian leaf cells to install) and I reread your entire thread, so I need to know what did you do with the temp. sensors since these cells don't need them or the fans,but the mc need them so how did you fool the MC. thanks COOPER.

BLUESTREAK said:
. now I just bought a (24 pack of nissian leaf cells to install) and I reread your entire thread, so I need to know what did you do with the temp. sensors since these cells don't need them or the fans,but the mc need them so how did you fool the MC. thanks COOPER.

Hi Cooper,
The temp sensors are not needed for anything but charging, otherwise the bike will work fine without them. I hope you are considering putting in a higher voltage pack, because that adds a lot of power to the bike. Unfortunately since pack voltage would now be higher than charger voltage, the charger can't charge the pack anymore. I charge and balance externally now.

However if you still want to install the temp sensors let me know I'll see if I can dig out my old spreadsheet that compares the voltage point of the Nimh cells to the LIFE cells. I will be very interested to watch your project with leaf cells. I actually dissuaded someone from using leaf cells because I thought they were only 2c, but now it seems like they're good for more, so I think I was wrong. :oops:

-JD

riba2233 said:
Maybe you could ride something like moped, 60-75 kg max. In that case, even if it falls on you, it wouldn't be so bad.

Glad that you're ok!

Thank you riba! I have a few dozen ebikes lying around that fit that description, but faster. :D I'm still riding them, I just don't want to commute or mingle with traffic anymore, which sorta rules out the Vectrix.

-JD

HI OATNET, Thanks for getting back to me. I am only using 18 cells and that wil be enough for me.can I just wrap up the sensors with tape ,pug it into the harness ,wil it work like this.

BLUESTREAK said:
HI OATNET, Thanks for getting back to me. I am only using 18 cells and that wil be enough for me.can I just wrap up the sensors with tape ,pug it into the harness ,wil it work like this.

The sensors detect voltage as well as temperature, if they don't see voltage the controller thinks they failed. I tried to place them on the LiFe cell that had the most similar voltage to the NiMh cell the sensor started on. I'll dig up the spreadsheet so you have the NiMh locations and my LiFe setup as an example, but the leaf cells are a different voltage from the headway cells so the sensors will end up on different cells, you'll need to sort that out. :D

-JD

I'm in the middle of a conversion at the moment with 19 leaf cells, including a BMS based on the GGoodrum/Felcher design.

The interconnects I ended up remaking out of 25mmX12mm copper busbar - chunky :)

TO:HEATHYOUNG hope you have good success, its nice to have a complete set you get all the connectors and all the spacer that are between the cell modules that are 1/8in. thick these keep the right space and pressure on the modules.I have mine hooked up in series and on the work table and charging with a (150 volt .300ma) regulated control power supply,they were shipped at apox. 7.36- 7.45 volts and now they are all 8.02 each,it looks like a real slow charge brings them back into good balance. it has been charging for almost a week now. :D :D :D :D

Alright BLUESTREAK, it took a while but I finally found the vectrix stuff - buried in another spreadsheet. I extracted it, here you go; "Cell number observed" column is the NiMh cell where the harness was landed, and the block surrounded in yellow looks like it might have been my final take on the layout.
View attachment vectrix calcs 4 blue.xls

I also found this random picture that shows how each sensor harness is distributed to the 6 sub-packs in its battery.
View attachment 1

Heath, are you posting your vectrix's leaf cell conversion anywhere? I'd love to follow it.

-JD

I really should.

This is the second conversion, I'm already running on thundersky cells on one bike.

Yes pics please Heath, otherwise I will have to visit you to check it out in person. :lol:

heathyoung said:
I really should.

This is the second conversion, I'm already running on thundersky cells on one bike.

Yes Yes Yes! The t-sky build is good content, and I think the Leaf cell build will educate a lot of people who are thinking along the same lines but haven't followed through yet. Feel free to post a link here to your thread, or heck post things here if a new thread is too much trouble.

-JD

View attachment 1[attachment=0]2015-03-16 15.56.02.jpg HI OATNET, it's been a while, I did a nissian leaf conversion on my vectrix and finally completed my project(I call it (VX-4 STABILIZATION SYSTEM) :lol: :pancake: I will post a photo. and later make my on thread. THANKS (BLUESTREAK) COOPER.

Attachments

• 2015-03-16 15.56.02.jpg
    2015-03-16 15.56.02.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 4,931
  • 2015-05-22 14.24.51.jpg
    2015-05-22 14.24.51.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 4,931
Impressive work, Cooper!

Thanks for posting pics, more if you have them!

-JD

THANKS FELLAS for all the nice complements, I will post a lot of photos when I get the chance because someone else may want to do this to their vectrix. it's hard work but so enjoyable especially after it's done. it doesn't look homemade at all. bye. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice, Blue! :mrgreen:

I saw that bike and it looks mint and if it were close to me I would buy it in second, I have three already but that one it a good deal.

Back