On the Streets of China, Electric Bikes Are Swarming

Lock

100 MW
Article in Time Magazine:
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1904334,00.html

Coupla quotes:
"Last year, Chinese bought 21 million e-bikes, compared with 9.4 million autos. While China now has about 25 million cars on the road, it has four times as many e-bikes."

"The e-bike boom owes much to Chinese policy. The government made developing e-bikes an official technology goal in 1991. Major Chinese cities have extensive bicycle lanes, which means riders can avoid the worst of rush-hour congestion. In cities such as Shanghai, local governments have drastically raised licensing fees on gas-powered scooters in recent years, effectively driving hoards of consumers to e-bike manufacturers."

"The relative simplicity of the machines and their components has encouraged a huge number of e-bike companies to open in China. In 2006 there were 2,700 licensed manufacturers, and countless additional smaller shops. Rising to the top of the heap is not easy. Leading manufacturer Xinri (the name means "new day") was founded in 1999 by Zhang Chongshun, an auto parts factory executive who recognized the potential of the field. In its first year Xinri built less than 1,000 bikes; last year it churned out 1.6 million."

"Last year Chinese bought about 90% of the 23 million e-bikes sold worldwide. Experts say that next regions to likely embrace e-bikes are Southeast Asia, where gas-powered scooters are popular, and India, where rising incomes mean personal transportation is starting to be in reach of hundreds of millions. Japan has seen steady annual sales of about 300,000 for several years, and in the cycle-crazy Netherlands e-bikes are beginning to take off. In the U.S., where bikes are still overwhelmingly used for recreation rather than transportation, e-bike sales are expected to break 200,000 this year, or about 1% of China's sales. "

tks
locCk

That's exactly right...

When I was in Shanghai last year, there were thousands and thousands of e-bikes. It was insane.

I don't know about avoiding rush hour traffic, that was also insane. The bicyclists seemed fearless,
fearless of pedestrians, cars, other bicyclists. Stop lights were mere suggestions, rather than law.

Lock said:
Article in Time Magazine:
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1904334,00.html
"Last year, Chinese bought 21 million e-bikes, compared with 9.4 million autos. While China now has about 25 million cars on the road, it has four times as many e-bikes."

"The e-bike boom owes much to Chinese policy. The government made developing e-bikes an official technology goal in 1991. Major Chinese cities have extensive bicycle lanes, which means riders can avoid the worst of rush-hour congestion. In cities such as Shanghai, local governments have drastically raised licensing fees on gas-powered scooters in recent years, effectively driving hoards of consumers to e-bike manufacturers."

Yesterday the wife was driving the family to the clinic for vaccinations (one shot each for us, four for the baby -- ouch). After having eBiked for four months, I found myself impatient and aggravated sitting in the car -- why am I wasting my time and sanity stuck in traffic jams, blocked by construction sites etc.

I think the eBike revolution is inevitable just from numbers of people who like me get one and realize its advantages. I didn't drive much before either, but the eBike extends my range and makes it easier to haul heavy stuff, so now it is both quicker and more convenient than taking the car.

Good government policy can speed up eBike adoption and other sensible, small footprint (physically and environmentally) vehicles, such as scooters, lightweight cars etc. However, ultimately people will realize the advantages independently of government policy.

I was in Beijing a few months ago and there were quite a few ebikes although push bike were much more common. It might have had something to do with the -20F weather I suppose. The ebikes were much slower than ebikes in the States and the styling was very Chinese. The ebikes I saw were used primarily for transportation but some people used then for hauling around goods. I would have to say that in Beijing and other cities they are far ahead of the States in terms of infrastructure for bikes. Their bike only lanes were not just merely lines painted on the side of the road. They were in fact paved pathways completely seperate from auto lanes that ran paralell to the roads. They were supposed to be for bikes only but the occassional car would use then too - espicialy during rush hour. They haven't quite caught on to using bike lights, helmets and bright clothing yet which is kinda strange given that traffic their is TOTALLY INSANE. I suppose that it is just a matter of time before they adopt a safety concious attitude. Once they do I'd love to be a bike light vendor there! But I guess that in a country where obeying traffic lights is optional and cross walks are a suggestion saftety is not a top priority.

It was kinda funny, though, in that everyone I spoke to wanted to dicth their bike for a car. lol The grass is always greener.

I don't think people e-bike for fun in China - I don't think driving there is any better, but I had noticed that more people would like to drive. The pollution is terrible to even walk down the street. E-bikes are pretty cheap there.

Johnbear said:
I don't think people e-bike for fun in China - I don't think driving there is any better, but I had noticed that more people would like to drive. The pollution is terrible to even walk down the street. E-bikes are pretty cheap there.

e Bikes are basic transportation.

Many cities (like Shanghai) has banned scooters, so if you want a powered vehicle that is not a car, you don't have much choices.

What sort of prices are you seeing for e bikes there?

Most of the ones I saw are old fashioned lead acid battery driven ---- and work perfectly fine.

I'm actually in China now. I looked at some ebikes and got some prices. The ebikes I looked at range from 1350-3000+ Yuan ($198-$441 roughly).

I just bought one for 1600 yuan ($235). I believe it's a 48V system with 10-20AH Lead-acid batteries. I'm not sure on the specs as the seller didn't have much information and the manual I was given was for a different bike altogether. On the upside I had my Mandarin speaking fiance with me and she was able to talk him down from 2K yuan. I've been riding the bike for a few days now and it works fine so far. It does maybe 18-20 mph (with me alone) I guess since there is no speedo. Asisde for the batts weighing a ton it is thoroughly adequate. It's very convenient riding around a very flat Beijing with my fiance on the back and not having to pedal in the terrible heat here.

mclovin said:
I'm actually in China now. I looked at some ebikes and got some prices. The ebikes I looked at range from 1350-3000+ Yuan ($198-$441 roughly).

I just bought one for 1600 yuan ($235). I believe it's a 48V system with 10-20AH Lead-acid batteries. I'm not sure on the specs as the seller didn't have much information and the manual I was given was for a different bike altogether. On the upside I had my Mandarin speaking fiance with me and she was able to talk him down from 2K yuan. I've been riding the bike for a few days now and it works fine so far. It does maybe 18-20 mph (with me alone) I guess since there is no speedo. Asisde for the batts weighing a ton it is thoroughly adequate. It's very convenient riding around a very flat Beijing with my fiance on the back and not having to pedal in the terrible heat here.

Ok, please tell me, why are you in China?

It's not a vacation spot that frequently occurs to me.

mclovin said:
I'm actually in China now.
:
It's very convenient riding around a very flat Beijing with my fiance on the back and not having to pedal in the terrible heat here.

Fiance on the back of the bike. That's the romantic way of doing it!

jag said:
mclovin said:
I'm actually in China now.
:
It's very convenient riding around a very flat Beijing with my fiance on the back and not having to pedal in the terrible heat here.

Fiance on the back of the bike. That's the romantic way of doing it!
That's a very nice notation of a very nice situation.
But I thought their bikes were all pedelecs and limited strictly to 12mph? So there is no real enforcement possible, I suppose;
you'd need one cop for every biker in Beijing!

swbluto said:
Ok, please tell me, why are you in China?

It's not a vacation spot that frequently occurs to me.

My fiance is Chinese and lives in Beijing. I actually had her and another gal on the back a few times. It proved very convenient. Three people on a Chinese ebaike is a very doable thing so long as the road is flat. The spokes are EXTRA heavy duty for just such a situation. In closer examination it seems that Chinese ebike are very well developed for the Chinese market i.e. locking rear wheel, heavy duty spokes, built in alarm, basket on the front, heavy duty rear rack welded as part of the frame, batts are easily dismounted for carriying (on lock once on the bike), cool little "display" panel that gives a basic indication as to charge state, built in/integrtaed LED head light and turn signals, rear tail running light, front suspension, slicks on front and back and there is a monmentary contact thumb switch located on the throttle that alows me to choose "settings" for max speed (three positions-I use the fastest most of the time but that can be DANGEROUS around here). If ebikes, IMO, were developed to this level but for a US market I could see them really taking off in the States.

I don't know of any speed limit. If there is one enforcing it is simply not feasible. China is way too crazy and what laws do exist (as far as I can tell) are optional at best.

I'll post some pics when I get back. I'd do it now but web access is pretty dodegy at best.

-Cheers.

Here's some pics from my ebike shopping trip in China.

2009-08-03_1633.png

2009-08-03_1639.png

2009-08-03_1641.png

2009-08-03_1644.png

2009-08-03_1648.png

2009-08-03_1652.png

2009-08-03_1653.png

2009-08-03_1656.png

2009-08-03_1658.png

2009-08-03_1659.png

2009-08-03_1701.png

Here's the one I bought for 1600 Yuan.

2009-08-03_1703.png

Interesting. Thanks for these. Coupla/three questions please. The first image vehicle has a (brake?clutch?shift?) foot pedal? Also that several have padded "cargo" racks with fold out foot stands... so for two riders. These machines perhaps have more powerful motors? 600W-750W? Or just smaller riders? :)

And many with pedals not installed. Just to save showroom space?
tks
Lock

Lock said:
Interesting. Thanks for these. Coupla/three questions please. The first image vehicle has a (brake?clutch?shift?) foot pedal? Also that several have padded "cargo" racks with fold out foot stands... so for two riders. These machines perhaps have more powerful motors? 600W-750W? Or just smaller riders? :)

And many with pedals not installed. Just to save showroom space?
tks
Lock

The foot pedal is a brak pedal. Cargo racks seem to be pretty standard. There are all sorts of accessories that can be mouted to these rackes..kinda like motorcycles in the States. I was able to get three peple on my bike. The sales guy told me the pedals were removed so they could stack more product on the showroom floor. I'm not sure of the power as there was a communication gap and the sales guys would pretty much say about anything to sell one. Heres a pic from the controller in one of the trikes.

2009-08-04_1556.png

Appearantly 350W is enough for a very flat Beijing.

This one is probably my favorite because it has Li based batteries and sells for about $500. I don't know exactly what Li chemitry or the voltage or AmpH of the batts. But it has a front disk brake, key "ignition" and comes with a head light.

2009-08-05_0853.png

That bike is nice. Although the tires are tiny for such a big fender. I would bet the rear rack is rated strong enough to carry an extra person. Too bad there's no dealer willing to import those bikes here. That and i prefer those mid frame kick stand rather than those old rear wheel type. Depending on actual range and power. If those are sold here i would assume peoples are willing to pay $1000USD for it.

Back