Onda Board (core) transform to eBoard

ransalman

1 mW
Hi Everyone

I bought my Onda Board some days ago and want to make it electric.
I have read the posts here and followed these guides http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=53506 / http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=56375

But since it's not specific to Onda Board I'm missing a few things - I'm confused about what exactly Timing Pulley to buy to the wheel and to the motor itself.

Here are the parts I chose based on the post I read in the site, if you can have a look please:

Motor: Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 5055-280kv Brushless Outrunner Motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...SK3_5055_280kv_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor.html

ESC: HobbyKing 150A High performance Brushless Car ESC - one of the How-To Post recommended Hobbywing EZRUN-150A-Pro will the HobbyKing's will work fine or I should somehow find this Hobbywing ESC ? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._150A_High_performance_Brushless_Car_ESC.html

Programming Guide for the chosen ESC: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ng_HKSS_programming_card_for_HK_150A_ESC.html

Batteries: 2 x Z50003S-20 - ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 3S1P 20C http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8579__ZIPPY_Flightmax_5000mAh_3S1P_20C.html - Some question about the batteries, If I'll add 1 or 2 more will I get more capacity and more km ? can you approximately know how much km can I do with these 2 batteries ?

So please if you guys can help me out with the questions I marked in bold + the very important questions about what kind of Timing Pulley wheel should I buy for the motor and the Onda wheel, also if you know a good motor mount if I'm staying with the Onda trucks I will be very grateful... otherwise if there's no motor mount designed for the Onda trucks I'll ask someone to build me something

Last but not least :) I will be very grateful if you can guide me how to do brakes..

Thanks you very much :)

Ran.

hi & welcome
usually it's the other way around : decide which top speed you want, check which reduction ratio you can lodge on your board. then knowing the voltage you will be running at, find a motor with a kV that goes well with your reduction ratio.

Have a look in the "for sale section new item", there are some kit for Onda board, but please confirm your truck are aluminium (I have older onda models with polymer truck, I doubt they ever made the Onda Core with aluminium trucks...)

For info, here is an extract of the table I use to evaluate which choice to go for

forgot to tell you : we use "car ESC" becuase they DO provide progressive braking (electromagnetic) :mrgreen: a very appreciable function

You can use much bigger motors since the board is big itself. I would use 6364 or 6374 motors.

A lot of people have been using higher voltage batteries and escs lately. Great for climbing hills, added distance.

Ex. Your 6S 5ah is capable of about 5-6 mile range while if you used 12S 5ah. You are capable of about 10-14 mile range. You would use (2) 6S 5ah packs in series.

A gearing ratio of 1:4 to 1:7 is about average for 200mm wheels.

Brakes are built into a RC Car ESC. As long as you purchase a car ESC you'll have the option to use brakes on your electric skateboard.

I hope to plan on having an Onda Kit in the near future.

There is also this kit on eBay for the Onda: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transmission-System-Electric-Conversion-Onda-Longa-Mammoth-Skateboard-Longboard-/191523909155?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2c97b6ee23

mccloed said:
There is also this kit on eBay for the Onda: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transmission-System-Electric-Conversion-Onda-Longa-Mammoth-Skateboard-Longboard-/191523909155?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2c97b6ee23

Thanks.. I already saw it on their website and sent them an email becuase I'm not sure it's comptiable with Onda Core Board... (it says it for Onda Mamooth).. Maybe it's comptiable I don't know.. waiting for reply.

made_in_the_alps_legacy said:
Have a look in the "for sale section new item", there are some kit for Onda board, but please confirm your truck are aluminium (I have older onda models with polymer truck, I doubt they ever made the Onda Core with aluminium truck

hi & welcome
usually it's the other way around : decide which top speed you want, check which reduction ratio you can lodge on your board. then knowing the voltage you will be running at, find a motor with a kV that goes well with your reduction ratio.
For info, here is an extract of the table I use to evaluate which choice to go for

I'm sorry but I didn't understand the ratio - which one should I go for good torque and acceleration (I'm more interested in torque than in top speed - if top speed will be 25 km/h it will be enough for me I think)

forgot to tell you : we use "car ESC" becuase they DO provide progressive braking (electromagnetic) :mrgreen: a very appreciable function

So is there a break button on the remote or once I pull my finger from the acceleration trigger it breaks the wheel ? BTW - isn't it a problem to break only one wheel instead of two / four?

Thanks.

ransalman said:
I'm sorry but I didn't understand the ratio - which one should I go for good torque and acceleration (I'm more interested in torque than in top speed - if top speed will be 25 km/h it will be enough for me I think)

it depends on the motor you choose : as long as they have the same power you could go
10/45 or 15/60 w. 150 kV, or 10/60 w. 200kV if running at 6s for example.

ransalman said:
So is there a break button on the remote or once I pull my finger from the acceleration trigger it breaks the wheel ? BTW - isn't it a problem to break only one wheel instead of two / four?
w. a standard RC transmitter, pressing the trigger accelerates, pulling the trigger brakes, of course you can adjust the 0 to have brake acting in neutral.
braking w. 1WD leads to some almost not noticable unbalance when braking starts compared tto 2wd

Thanks guys for your answers.. I'm going crazy with the motor and ESC compatibility now..

I followed the guides here and I chose 6374-192kv Motor on Hobbyking with 150A ESC (the ESC arrived already).
I plan to use 6s Lipo .
Now Hobbyking support tells me I can't use this ESC (max 6s) with the 6374-192kv Motor as the Motor need 10-12s Lipo than they said it will work but not full power....

Can somebody please tell me what should I do next ? (return the ESC to Hobbyking / Order a different motor and battery (if so which one?) / or it will work fine like this).

BTW - About mechanical kit - I'm planning to order a kit for Onda Board Core from http://www.turbobikekit.com if anyone interested too 15t/60t Gear).

ransalman said:
Thanks guys for your answers.. I'm going crazy with the motor and ESC compatibility now..

I followed the guides here and I chose 6374-192kv Motor on Hobbyking with 150A ESC (the ESC arrived already).
I plan to use 6s Lipo .
Now Hobbyking support tells me I can't use this ESC (max 6s) with the 6374-192kv Motor as the Motor need 10-12s Lipo than they said it will work but not full power....

Can somebody please tell me what should I do next ? (return the ESC to Hobbyking / Order a different motor and battery (if so which one?) / or it will work fine like this).

BTW - About mechanical kit - I'm planning to order a kit for Onda Board Core from http://www.turbobikekit.com if anyone interested too 15t/60t Gear).

The guy just mentioned that the motor you choose SK3 6374-192KV has a max of 12S LiPo. You said you wanted to use it at 6S which is half the power. You can use it at 6S but you get half the power from that motor. Meaning you can downsize to a 50mm motor as you don't use all the power from a 63mm motor. However, people choose the 63mm motors for lower KV (higher torque), a bit more durable with bigger bearings/motor can, able to take more amps and dispense less heat.

6S is decent and much better if you have two motors. If you have a single motor - I would opt for higher voltages. Most ESC's available are 8S and you don't find too many 12S ESCs with RC car capabilities. I sell a 12S ESC if you wanted higher voltage as well as the VESC which is a bit harder to get at the moment.

What you choose is dependent on what you want and/or your end goal. If you give a more definite idea of what you want your top speed to be, the steepest percentage of hills, the percentage of hills you climb within your route, rider weight on the board and such.

torqueboards said:
6S is decent and much better if you have two motors. If you have a single motor - I would opt for higher voltages. Most ESC's available are 8S and you don't find too many 12S ESCs with RC car capabilities. I sell a 12S ESC if you wanted higher voltage as well as the VESC which is a bit harder to get at the moment.

What you choose is dependent on what you want and/or your end goal. If you give a more definite idea of what you want your top speed to be, the steepest percentage of hills, the percentage of hills you climb within your route, rider weight on the board and such.

Thanks for your reply, Top Speed Should be 25km-30km (I care more about torque / power), Terrain: mixed straight roads and slight uphills maybe 10-30% steepest hills , Rider weight 80 Kg).

One more thing.. if I'm choosing the 6374-192kv Motor I can't do 2wd in the future for upgrades (on the back truck only diagonial).. should I take the NTM Prop Drive 50-60 270KV (based on my gear which is 15t/60t) so I could add one more in the future or even right now as it's cheaper than the 6374-192kv ?

Thanks,

Ran.

ransalman said:
Thanks for your reply, Top Speed Should be 25km-30km (I care more about torque / power), Terrain: mixed straight roads and slight uphills maybe 10-30% steepest hills , Rider weight 80 Kg).

One more thing.. if I'm choosing the 6374-192kv Motor I can't do 2wd in the future for upgrades (on the back truck only diagonial).. should I take the NTM Prop Drive 50-60 270KV (based on my gear which is 15t/60t) so I could add one more in the future or even right now as it's cheaper than the 6374-192kv ?

Thanks,

Ran.

I would go dual motor for you. You should be able to go 6374 since you are using Onda trucks and not longboard trucks. If you want to save money go with (2) 50mm NTM motors.

torqueboards said:
I would go dual motor for you. You should be able to go 6374 since you are using Onda trucks and not longboard trucks. If you want to save money go with (2) 50mm NTM motors.

Thanks, I will go 6374-192kv 1 motor for now as I don't have budget for two and I'll add another one in the future... a question - if I don't have enough space to fit the 2 motors in the rear should I do it diagonal ?

I'm still waiting for the mechanical kits, got all the electronics and hooked them up to test them.
I think I will go for dual motor but it will be a bit expensive to buy 2nd mechanical kit..

I wanted to ask you guys if you can recommend me a good dual motor ESC that can be used up to 12S as I'm want to have the option to run the motors in 12s,
I saw that Alien Kits selling ESCs like this but it looks expensive (£ 179.00 before shipping).

Agree with above anwsers that 2motors with 6S each with 50mm Diameter will be the best option and best braking also, as our tests show :D :D :D

turbobikekit.com said:
Agree with above anwsers that 2motors with 6S each with 50mm Diameter will be the best option and best braking also, as our tests show :D :D :D

Well as you know I already have 168kv 59mm diameter (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18182__Turnigy_Aerodrive_SK3_6374_168kv_Brushless_Outrunner_Motor.html)

Are your brakes working good?
Braking is the most important in eskates because they should work fine in downhill roads with 25% slope
Here in Greece in the town we are having a lot of slope issues

Hi

Thanks guys, it's working really cool - I did a build thread with photos and video:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=70693

Back