Optibike new mid drive unit

I keep thinking you are in better shape than you think. When I talk range at speed, I'm thinking about a guy who pedals at most 50w. If I can do it, anybody can.

Paul_G said:
. The SIMBB is $5000 and will be available in Jan 2014. The top speed will depend on which option you select. Up to 25 mph.

I find it odd it only does 25 at 600 watts. My Stromer ST1 Platinum will do 27 MPH hard pedaling and 30 MPH pushing it to my limits and I'm old and not in the best of shape. But I might just have to buy one for next summer :)

38 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!

some questions and answers from Neal

Can it go faster if it had a larger chain ring?.....27-30 MPH is the sweet spot IMO.......................... It actually does push up to 32 mph not 25 mph after testing it out further.

Can I add an external battery for more range?......... TBD

How much does it weigh?.................................. About 38 pounds

It has a throttle

Will it have the R option or CVT?....................... Please clarify are you referring to the Rohloff hub. It has the Rohloff.

Does the motor make noise like the Optibike?.......................... Very quiet and smooth.

Wow, only 5 grand? well within the budget of the average forum member here.. *cough*

5 grand is upper mid range for a serious bicycle rider for a normal unpowered bike made in the USA

flathill said:
5 grand is mid range for a serious bicycle rider for a normal unpowered bike made in the USA

I think you mean "consumer toy for egregious tools". Real bicycles for riding instead of conspicuously consuming can be had for a lot less than that, even at the highest quality level. Even handmade Rivendell bicycles, hype and all, don't cost $5k. My custom bike, designed and made specifically for me and including a Rohloff hub and bunch of one-of-a kind components, cost about $4k a decade ago.

Yes, there are people who will pay more than that for a plastic frame all by itself. We call them idiots.

you just made my point
4k a decade ago

Bikes have been getting cheaper but you r looking at 1-2k for a made in usa frame alone

Not at all mid range. Fully custom, no compromises.

remf said:
Bike_on said:
Remf-

Where did you see the 13Ahr number?

Dan, it's on a flyer I was sent.

Thanks Remf for the flyer.

"Easy to remove in 2 minutes" that benefit could work both ways. :(

I am excited to hear the noise is quiet. Opti keep striving to improve.

$5k for this mid drive package and a Rohloff? A real game changer. The boys went back to the drawing board on this one...eliminated a big cost driver, the custom frame? Does this not still require some customized frame?

Paul_G said:
. The SIMBB is $5000 and will be available in Jan 2014. The top speed will depend on which option you select. Up to 25 mph.

I find it odd it only does 25 at 600 watts. My Stromer ST1 Platinum will do 27 MPH hard pedaling and 30 MPH pushing it to my limits and I'm old and not in the best of shape. But I might just have to buy one for next summer :)

Paul,

Is there really a question as to which one you will select?

The latest trend has been away from brute power+weight, but rather sufficient power+ but light as possible.

Bike_on said:
Paul_G said:

Paul,

Is there really a question as to which one you will select?

The latest trend has been away from brute power+weight, but rather sufficient power+ but light as possible.

Right now I have a Stromer ST1 Platinum and a Bomber (Bomber is up for sale) and if the Optibike is 38 lbs I'll have to have one as well :)

Does the motor make noise like the Optibike?.......................... Very quiet and smooth.
Anyone have a video of one in action? I'd like to hear what the noise level of this is. The R-series definitely sounded like my R/C car. "Very quiet" would be welcome.

I'm guessing it is a large outrunner with the batteries inside the motor and the electronics on the outside. That's the only ways I can see them making it work. The batteries are using phase change material. Should be perfect for a low power app if they keep the waste heat down. Also note the some of the latest cells can operate at 65C with little effect on life. Lithium-ion batteries are more efficient at higher temps. 80C max is in the works.

this is from a few years back but leyden and others licensedd the tech from dupont

While traditional electrolytes tend to use LiPF6 salts, Leyden replaced them with lithium imide. "Although the fluorine structure tends to be stable up to temperatures of about 60-80 oC, imide offers stability to temperatures up to 300oC," Aakar says and he continues: "The battery's energy density and cycle life is exceptional: At 330Wh/l energy density, we can achieve 1000 cycles at full depth of discharge down to 2.75V at 60oC."

cost about $4k a decade ago.
@Chalo: According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, $4K a decade ago has the same buying power as $5,084 in 2013:

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

While I agree with you that custom is the way to go, some people don't have the time, patience, or debugging skills to make it happen.

Is that for the complete bike, or just the drive/battery package ?
..or is the custom frame another $5k ?
Good question. I hope everything's included.

I don't think the bike is too expensive, the price range is $3500 to $5000. $5000 includes the Rohloff which is $1500 itself.
I've been wanting to build a light weight Ebike with low center of gravity. I considered building one with the Bionx 500w , because it didn't have a speed cut off at 20mph. That system weights 18 lbs, add it to a light weight bike at around 22lbs and you have a 40 lb bike. But a 22lbs bike will cost you around $2000 and the Bionx is about $2000, so that's $4000. But, as I was looking up the actual weight of the Bionx , I now discovered the 500w with no 20mph cut off is no longer sold in US, which means in order to build a light weight bike, low CG, it will have to be limited at 20 mph.
The point is , I think $3500 to $5000 is reasonable for state of the art, low CG , 500 WH , 32 mph, 38 lb bike. The lower model is probably 350w and not as fast, but I think it's a good price for a clean, turnkey, Ebike .

In case this video on the new Optibike hasn't been posted here yet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTM3775ngf0

Chalo said:
flathill said:
5 grand is mid range for a serious bicycle rider for a normal unpowered bike made in the USA

I think you mean "consumer toy for egregious tools". Real bicycles for riding instead of conspicuously consuming can be had for a lot less than that, even at the highest quality level. Even handmade Rivendell bicycles, hype and all, don't cost $5k. My custom bike, designed and made specifically for me and including a Rohloff hub and bunch of one-of-a kind components, cost about $4k a decade ago.

Yes, there are people who will pay more than that for a plastic frame all by itself. We call them idiots.

LOL!!! Other people who spend $5 on a bike are tools, yet you spent $4k on a pedal bike a decade ago.

I think you are ignoring the context of the discussion.

My point was that $4k bought me a bike frame designed and handmade especially for my measurements by David Bohm, a fork made to my specification by Dan Hanebrink, a Rohloff 14 speed hub, made to order 205mm Profile cranks, custom 48 hole drilled Snow Cat rims, The Star headset (no longer manufactured, but superb), 9" front disc brake, and just all the way around a mixture of bespoke, handmade, uniquely sized, and top shelf stuff. In my entire life I have only gotten one bike that uncompromising.

Yet today, an equivalent amount of money gets what flathill called a "mid range" bike, with mundane parts and a plastic frame popped out of a mold like a waffle. At $5k, that's a bike for an idiot who wants a bike that is average in every way except for the high price.

I'm saying that for $4k then, $5k now, you don't have to settle for mid range anything, and you can still get a finest quality handmade custom bike. If you are not a tool.

I doubt you'd appreciate the finest quality custom part, though. You bought a goofy poseur bike, then butchered it beyond recognition into an unsafe, ugly illegitimate motorcycle that wouldn't pass inspection in the First World. To each his own, I guess. But you clearly aren't moved by things that are carefully and knowledgeably designed using proven principles, made by highly skilled craftsmen, and fully finished.

Haven't seen any details on aux battery inputs but I assume it has since it wouldn't be difficult to implement, all their other bikes have them and Optibike sell external packs. It'd be good idea to extend the range with any small rack pack when necessary.

Oh, you could probably put a MAC/BMC hub motor on an ultralight bike, add a panasonic cell pack ( like the allcell ) and come in with a similar weight, at a dramatically lower cost.

But consider that this is conceived and built next door to the rocky mountains. The mid drive allows you to climb crazy steep stuff. But for that route, i'd just plop down the money for a 750W bafang + panasonic battery and spend the rest on hookers 'n blow.

Back