Optibike new mid drive unit

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
Paul_G said:
38 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!
yaaaawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
or about the same weight as a typical run-o-da-mill-hub-mobile available now, not vapourware prototype.

jimbo will have to do much better than summ made in indja crappy hubby.

Bike_on said:
The bike+system weighed in at 39.8lb.

Toorbough,

You are blowing smoke out your toorba. Being the owner of that "India crappy hubby" from Falco, and a previous Opti owner for 5 years, your under-appreciation for cutting edge technology is nauseating.

Any ebike system running over 500W, 11Ahrs and under 40lbs should turn some heads, not your rear. Instead of dissing new levels of performance, why don't you build your own and compare?

I am squeezing max performance out of the Falco by riding over the 500W spec, much of the time, and using a decent road bike platform, which is pushing the limits of the bike on wheel weight, brakes and vibration. The opti won't have those issues. If I put the Falco on a hybrid and 35+mm tires, with front susp, then it's up to 45lb+ and slower. Plus, Falco- hub vs Opti - mid... what's your point?

Please try to be more creative with your comments.

D

Dan, not sure but I think that's his way of saying he likes Falco. In any case, I'm unclear on the weight of the Opti SIMBB...39 lbs...is that the whole bike or just the drive? Also wondering if, for $5,000, you get the bike thrown in or is that just for the drive? It's also unclear if Opti intends to licence it to other bike manufacturers or keep it to themselves and maybe make a full suspension version next? Or both?

remf said:
I'm unclear on the weight of the Opti SIMBB...39 lbs...is that the whole bike or just the drive? Also wondering if, for $5,000, you get the bike thrown in or is that just for the drive?
The brochure quotes <5.9kg as "total system" weight. If they're talking 39lb for the whole bike that's 17.7kg, so around 12kg for the bike which seems about right. As for the price, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the cost of just the drive itself. Optibike aren't exactly famous for being cheap and the fox forks, rohloff and that light weight wheel set would be around half that price to start with (well, no doubt they're alot cheaper OEM)
Maybe they're saving money on that basic/nasty looking frame. IMO that's the weak point of the bike and considering it has to be modded to take the drive anyway surely they could have used something a bit more shapely / visually appealing...

remf said:
Dan, not sure but I think that's his way of saying he likes Falco. In any case, I'm unclear on the weight of the Opti SIMBB...39 lbs...is that the whole bike or just the drive? Also wondering if, for $5,000, you get the bike thrown in or is that just for the drive? It's also unclear if Opti intends to licence it to other bike manufacturers or keep it to themselves and maybe make a full suspension version next? Or both?

In one of the videos posted the owner of Optibike said the bike will cost from $3500 to 5K depending on options so I will assume a $3500 bike will be lower power and no R option where the 600 watt bike with a R option will cost 5K.

Paul_G said:
remf said:

In one of the videos posted the owner of Optibike said the bike will cost from $3500 to 5K depending on options so I will assume a $3500 bike will be lower power and no R option where the 600 watt bike with a R option will cost 5K.

Paul/Remf,

The $3.5-5k range is what Jim T quoted on the video. I was surprised and thouhght the 250W started at 5k. The customer Opti Y frame much cost a bunch and elimination cut some big costs. Going from 26ahr to 13ahr has to cut our about $1200 in retail dollars. It is also part of their business plan, I assume. Hit the high end market with the top of the line, new technology from 2004-2013. As the high end saturates, modify technology to compete at mid range market, $2k to 5k.

Marketing is at prime levels now, so any cost and weight specs are probably near the ideal conditions.

remf said:

Remf,

Ok, I was harsh on Toorbo a bit. It sounded like he was dissing Opti by denegrading the Falco as a cheap India hub. Toorbo needs to stick to the numbers and performance, and not unfounded comparisons. We really don't know enough yet about the SIMBB or the Falco hubs. Both need to be road/trail proven with real numbers and reliability checks.

The initial specs are there: Power, weight, capacity, components, COG, etc. The Opti is making a challenge to the mid-drive platform. The FAlco is doing the same with the hub option.

neptronix said:
Actually a larger battery running the same load would create less heat due to lower resistance.

They have a small battery that likely pulls a 1C draw, out of a cell likely rated for 1C maximum. That pack is gonna throw some watt hours into heat, for sure - into a compact space that is jam packed with batteries, controller, and motor...

Nep,

600W/36V = 16.7A, for a 13 ahr battery. That's > than 1C and an assumption.

Back