Oregon "EV" Tax Rebate for ebikes?

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
Hey. Watts up, Oregon!

TRYING to figure the current tax status for electric bikes in Oregon... whether any rebates or subsidies apply for ebikes?

Seen so far in Oregon laws:
1. "Vehicle" means any device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a public highway and includes vehicles that are propelled or powered by any means. " Vehicle" does not include a manufactured structure.

... and:
Frequently Asked Questions, Oregon Clean Vehicle Rebate Program PDF
:
https://www.oregon.gov/deq/FilterDocs/zev-faq.pdf

Stuff like:
What is the Oregon Clean Vehicle Rebate Program?
The Oregon Clean Vehicle Rebate Program offers a cash rebate for Oregon drivers who purchase or lease electric vehicles. The program is designed to reduce vehicle emissions by encouraging more Oregonians to purchase or lease electric vehicles rather than gas vehicles.
The program contains two rebate options:

Standard Rebate for the purchase or lease of a new EV

Charge Ahead Rebate for the purchase or lease of a new or used bettery electric vehicle
. To qualify for the Charge Ahead rebate, the purchaser or lessee must be from a low - or moderate - income household*
*DEQ is finalizing specific income eligibility requirements and will make the information available in the next few months.

... and:
Which electric vehicles are eligible for the rebate?
Two types of vehicles will be eligible for the rebate:
battery electric vehicles and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles
. Vehicles must be registered in Oregon for at least two years and have a base manufacturer’s suggested retail price of less than $50,000

Hehe... a "base manufacturer’s suggested retail price of less than $50,000"... Watt covers a LOT of ebikes... :lol:

... AND:
How much is the rebate?
For the Standard Rebate:

$2,500 towards the purchase or lease of a new EV with a battery capacity of 10kWh or more.

$1,500 towards the purchase or lease of a new EV with a battery capacity of less than 10 kWh.

Watt I'm thinking covers a LOT of ebikes. :lol:

Watt am I missing please?

LockH said:
Watt am I missing please?

The bit about
must be registered for two years
I'm assuming that e-bikes in the "bicycle" class are not registered as they don't require a license and insurance to operate. So they would not qualify. OTOH, e-bikes in the "motorcycle" class would probably qualify if you register, insure and so forth.

Hehe... So State employees must claim my ebike is NOT a "motorcycle"?

Seen on the web:
Motorcycles and mopeds are defined as vehicles designed to travel with no more than three wheels in contact with the ground and with a seat or saddle for use of the rider. ...

:)

LockH said:
Hehe... So State employees must claim my ebike is NOT a "motorcycle"?

Seen on the web:
Motorcycles and mopeds are defined as vehicles designed to travel with no more than three wheels in contact with the ground and with a seat or saddle for use of the rider. ...

:)

You'd need to go through the Oregon laws and see how they define a bicycle to be sure. I'm simply pointing to what I suspect will be the issue since I'm pretty sure e-bikes of a bicycle class don't need to be registered.

Hehe...
814.405: Status of electric assisted bicycle.

An electric assisted bicycle shall be considered a bicycle, rather than a motor vehicle, for purposes of the Oregon Vehicle Code, except when otherwise specifically provided by statute. [1997 c.400 §4]

Seen here:
https://bikeportland.org/resources/bicyclelaws

:wink:

I like the way LockH is going with this, looking for loopholes.

Electric Moped is a motorcycle and can be registered and insured.
Electric Scooter like the Vespa's - https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/08/vespa-electric-scooter/

Or what about any ole Cheap Chinese Vespa-like electric scooter where you can take the parts off that and put it on a bicycle.

Does the rebate have to be new or can you buy used?

814.405 – Status of electric assisted bicycle
An electric assisted bicycle shall be considered a bicycle, rather than a motor vehicle, for purposes of the Oregon Vehicle Code, except when otherwise specifically provided by statute.
801.258 “Electric assisted bicycle” means a vehicle that:
(1) Is designed to be operated on the ground on wheels;
(2) Has a seat or saddle for use of the rider;
(3) Is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground;
(4) Has both fully operative pedals for human propulsion and an electric motor; and
(5) Is equipped with an electric motor that:
(a) Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts; and
(b) Is incapable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of greater than 20 miles per hour on level ground.

814.410 Unsafe operation of bicycle on sidewalk
(1) A person commits the offense of unsafe operation of a bicycle on a sidewalk if the person does any of the following:…
(e) Operates an electric assisted bicycle on a sidewalk.

807.020 Exemptions from requirement to have Oregon license or permit…
(14) A person may operate an electric assisted bicycle without a driver license or driver permit if the person is 16 years of age or older.

Source: https://bikeportland.org/2010/08/26/e-bikes-the-law-and-you-38493

^^ Hehe... But, But, But... AZ Guy? Watt does this mean for Oregon folks... EV Rebate for ebikes, or no? :)

LockH said:
^^ Hehe... But, But, But... AZ Guy? Watt does this mean for Oregon folks... EV Rebate for ebikes, or no? :)

IMO, no. :cry:

^^ ACK! So. Another dumb-ass plan by politicians (If you can't succeed in business... No Problem... Just be a politician! Promise the Voter Anything... and apologize later!)

... and according to Oregon folks, the roads can still be clogged with ("large, expensive") vehicles watt will be electric-powered... and damage and injure and kill, but in a more "eco-friendly" way! Lovely! :lol:

FWIW, I doubt the rebate would be as much as the costs of licensing, registration, and insurance (which you would then have to pay every year or more often for the remainder of the usage of the bike).

If you already have something without those costs, why spend the money on them?

Back