Orion BMS Wiring Question

rg12

100 kW
For some reason Orion's support is pretty bad and they barely reply to emails so here I am :D

I am about to wire the balance wires of a 168S battery (split to 12 units of 14S modules) to the 180S (first version (black color)) Orion BMS.

Here is an example of 3 units of 4S module connection:
On the left is a conventional wiring diagram where 3 modules of 4S are connected in series and the last wire of each module is joined with the first wire of the next module since they share the same connection.

On the right is an option that will eliminate the option for false voltage reading due to the serial connection of the modules having current flow through them which will throw off the voltage reading in the balance wires.
That way my 168S pack will occupy all of the 180 channels of the BMS.

My question is if the option on the right is doable with the version of BMS I have or with Orion altogether?
I don't wanna rewire 180 wires all over again to a tiny amphenol connector pins or even worse, damage the BMS.

wiring.jpg

Any help would be appreciated :)

What would be the result if you were to connect all twelve of the B- wires from the twelve 14S modules together and then affectively connected to BMS terminal B-.

Then the remaining 168 B+ sense wires from the 12 modules connected to their correct BMS terminal.

Does Orion make a 180S BMS (or Chinese made) which you'd need with eleven additional BMS connections using option on right. 180S must be pretty expensive? Is there another way you can monitor the condition of your 168S battery without using an Orion 180S BMS? If you don't connect it as Orion recommends is the warranty void? Maybe that's why they are being wishy washy as they've had warranty issues before ... possibly due to a faulty BMS. Investing/trusting in a 180S BMS is a little scary (if warranty language is a little wishy-washy).

Certainly questionable if above suggestion is workable. As example connecting all 12 of the B1(B-) leads together with lead wire connected to B- terminal on BMS. Then connect all 168 (B+) wire connections to the correct BMS connection.

Which coloring of the wires is more correct in the following photo (whether 5S, 6S or 14S) ... just one black wire followed by all red wires or all black wires except for last red wire. Is one on the left the correct representation?

Attachments

• Which Is  The Correct Way.jpg
    Which Is The Correct Way.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 221
eMark said:
What would be the result if you were to connect all twelve of the B- wires from the twelve 14S modules together and then affectively connected to BMS terminal connection B-.

Then the remaining sense wires of the 12 modules connected to their correct BMS terminal ... with B+ from the 12th module being the 169th wire connection to Orion BMS terminal (B+) from B+ of the 168th cell.

Does Orion make a 180S BMS (or Chinese made) which you'd need with eleven additional BMS connections using option on right. 180S must be pretty expensive? Is there another way you can monitor the condition of your 168S battery without using an Orion 180S BMS? If you don't connect it as Orion recommends is the warranty void? Maybe that's why they are being wishy washy as they've had warranty issues before ... possibly due to a faulty BMS. Investing/trusting in a 180S BMS is a little scary if a wishy-washy warranty language).

Connect all negatives together?
It's a serial connection not parallel.

All 168 B+ connections are in series. As if it's one large 168S module instead of twelve 14S modules. The twelve B- leads from the twelve 14S modules serving as one common B-.

Maybe, it's too simple of a solution ... therefore it isn't workable? ... oh well :) i tried
rg12 said:

eMark said:
All 168 B+ connections are in series. As if it's one large 168S module instead of twelve 14S modules. The twelve B- leads from the twelve 14S modules serving as one common B-.

Maybe, it's too simple of a solution ... therefore it isn't workable? ... oh well :) i tried
rg12 said:

If all 12 modules are connected in series then only one negative (the first one) is the negative and the rest fall every 14 cells (14S).
If you connect them together it's a parallel connection and that means you will have to parallel each of the 15 wires in groups of 12 wires.

Not at all what I need.
Nevermind, thanks,.

rg12 said:
My question is if the option on the right is doable with the version of BMS I have or with Orion altogether?

Sorry I've got no experience with the Orion BMS so maybe my suggestion will be stupid, but can't you just test this solution on just a few cells? What if you were to wire just 3 blocks of cells, just like the drawing you showed us?
If it works for those 3 blocks, then chances are that it should work the same for the whole thing. If it doesn't then you just have to rewire 24 or 25 wires instead of 180.

Dui said:
rg12 said:

Sorry I've got no experience with the Orion BMS so maybe my suggestion will be stupid, but can't you just test this solution on just a few cells? What if you were to wire just 3 blocks of cells, just like the drawing you showed us?
If it works for those 3 blocks, then chances are that it should work the same for the whole thing. If it doesn't then you just have to rewire 24 or 25 wires instead of 180.

It's a complex beast, I ran both manuals like 3 times and it has to have all channels occupied in some weird ways in case you don't use all of them.
Anyway, I'm in contact with them for wiring approval.

Back