Packcycle 2.5 (watercooling mods in progress)

I'm waiting for two of them too.

What are you planning to do about charging-BMS-LVC? I only bought one charger so I guess I'll have to separate them and charge one at a time. I also bought a couple of voltage monitors that are supposed to check eash cells voltage and sound an alarm if under or over the voltages you choose. The batteries are for a 22v boost pack on top of my 48v Ping.

Nick

I bought a pair of Accucel-6's to go with them. I'll just have a jack stuck on the battery case (which will be vaccuformed 1/8" ABS covering the triangle) and charge them through that. The chargers balance the cells, so that takes care of that, and the controller should be able to handle LVC okay. Of course, since my ride should leave 20% charge left in them (which I hear is necessary if you want them to live a long time), I don't have much to worry about.

I was gonna get those monitors, too, but I had to redo my cart several times because I kept going, "Ooh, 2g micro motor...*add to card*...gonna need the 1g controller...*add to cart*...and I'll need...No, this is getting ridiculous *empties cart*". :roll: By the time I was actually ready to order them, I had totally forgotten about the monitors and filled the rest of the weight in my current shipping tier with a cheap infra-red themometer. Which I needed, anyway, so no big deal.

Right...though I had to good fortune to discover some high-temp (500°F) repair putty (two part pseudo-epoxy stuff) to affix the metal disc to the stator, all I could find to make the disc out of was some unspecified (almost certainly steel) metal plated in zinc.

So, how's zinc fare in water?

I should actually be able to finish the hub and leave it to cure (a week I think is what the stuff calls for) tomorrow. And possibly finish putting together that vacuuform that's been sitting half-done in a corner for two months. :roll:

Hey Link!
Zinc is part of the galvanization process, so it should be OK in water.
otherDoc

Sweet...I had figured it'd be more-or-less okay since one of the things it was specified for was gutter repairs.

I would have gotten the pipes attached to these today, but noise curfew around here is 10PM. Tomorrow, mebbe. Assuming I get a nap between...say...3 and 6AM. :roll:

Started by cutting a disc out of the metal.

DSCN1353.jpg

Stuck it in the drill at a low speed to draw a perfect circle on it, which I cut along to make it more round.

DSCN1354.jpg

Enlarged the hole in the middle to fit the axle through via Dremel and cutoff wheel.

DSCN1355.jpg

Did it to another piece of metal.

Made marks on the discs where I needed the copper pipe to go and drilled them out. (They're not really round anymore, since I trimmed them to fit in the stator.)

DSCN1358.jpg

You'll notice that for some reason, the drill bit I used likes to make Rouleaux triangles for holes. :| The pipe wouldn't fit through these, since they're less than 1/4" in diameter at points, so I ground them out real quick with an aluminum oxide cone.

This is as far as I've gotten at this point.

DSCN1359.jpg

All that's left is to cut out a bunch of short lengths of copper pipe, bend them, solder them in place, putty the whole mess in place, and leave it alone.

Then I can finish the vacuuform while I wait for the batteries. :(

The bonds between the tubes and the disc are questionable at best. Gotta see if I can find some hi-temp caulking or something to put on the other side.

DSCN1360.jpg

Reason I didn't use the copper? I can't quite bend them without kinking them. The walls are a tad too thick. Oh well. I boiled some water and stuck some of the tubing in it to test it earlier, and all it did was get more rubbery and flexible. Should be okay...

rubber is an insulator.

Bending copper tube is tricky, but I know a few tricks.

the first is to have something like a V belt pully mounted to a table. (needs to be mounted, if it moves, it won't work.) then clamp one end of the tube down, and bend it around the V of the pully. the V will support the tube and keep it from kinking, as well as equilized pressure.

you can even make a bending block out of wood, but a V belt pully from an alternator used from any auto shop will be easy to get. Hardware stores do sell a bending tool, but its notall that cheap.

Another trick is to fill the tube with sand, pack it in hard, then seal up the ends., then bend it around something. its more work but it makes even better bends.

Another trick is to bend slow. start by bending it in an arc that would make a 2 foot loop, then an 20 inch loop, then 16, 12, 10, 8, 6, ect untill you get the size you need.

Used all together, this makes great bends, but any one of those tricks should be enough. I've been using them for years to do brake lines and fuel lines for cars

Hey Link! Plastic won't really do it as a conductor of heat. Listen to Drunkskunk. Also Harborfreight has cheep tubing benders. Ya gotta use metal for the radiating/conducting part. Supports can be PEX or poly tube. Great job on that so far!
otherDoc

Edit: Also make the connection between the tubing and the disks metal (solder?) if possible so you get greater thermal mass and a better conduction surface. Are you then going to run the tubing to an external cooler?

Actually, most of the reason I REALLY didn't go with the copper was because I was too lazy to spend that much time bending them. Problem is, getting a watertight seal where the pipes go through looks like it's going to be a bigger pain than I had anticipated.

Oh, and if you look at the pattern the tubes run in, I there's no actual way for them to distribute the water evenly to the hub without me drilling a few extra holes. Not that can do that with all the tubes getting in the way. Derp derp derp. :roll:

So yeah, I'll go try to figure something out with the copper. If I can't get it down before I run out of the 10ft I bought, I'll just go with the vinyl. If I can, I'll go get some more and use that.

docnjoj said:
Are you then going to run the tubing to an external cooler?

Pair of 80mm PC water cooling radiators w/ appropriate fans. Likely will run the fans on 18V or even 24V instead of 12V (they'll probably outlive most of the bike even with the reduced lifespan/they're cheap anyway/I'm not too concerned about dB levels), and maybe the pump, too. Can't remember if 2,000cm² of surface area was the total for both radiators or just one. Either way, significantly more than what's on the hub.

Don't expect those fans to last, or even work at that voltage. I burned out a fan running it at 16v, it blew it's controller instantly on connection. I have a very nice 92mm fan for my comp that blows a little over 130cfm. It's called a tornado. Running one or two of those at 14v or so would be insane for airflow.

tostino said:
Don't expect those fans to last, or even work at that voltage. I burned out a fan running it at 16v, it blew it's controller instantly on connection. I have a very nice 92mm fan for my comp that blows a little over 130cfm. It's called a tornado. Running one or two of those at 14v or so would be insane for airflow.

*shrug*

Eh. I got a pack of four, so I can afford to screw up one or two. The couple of fans I have lying around worked on 24V, so...yeah.

OTOH, an 80mm Tornado fan moves 84CFM, which is over triple what one of the fans I have move. $15, though...which is more than quadruple what one of my fans cost, too. :? LOL @ 55.2 dBA. Isn't that almost normal talking volume?

Hmm...I'll consider it if the fans I have don't work out.

Anyway, I gave up on the copper. The radius of the bends are just too tight for me to do without a jig, and, amusingly, I don't have any tools handy that would cut out an actual shape from a block of wood to make a jig. :roll: So, off to Home Depot to find some caulking, I guess...

To take my mind of my annoyance, I put this together.

DSCN1364.jpg

Works pretty alright, it seems. Need some more nichrome to make an oven, though. The ones in my house wouldn't handle a 24"x24" sheet, I think, nor do I believe the owner of those ovens would be very pleased to find me attempting to cook plastic in them.

Sweet...all that's left to do now is test for leaks and seal up any there.

DSCN1368.jpg

GEE aren't I good in tight spaces with a caulking gun...

Oh, silicone...you adhere to metal pretty well, are waterproof, good for up to 400°F, and can me made into fake...yeah, is there anything you can't do?

Yeah Link! Conduct heat! :) Sorry but I couldn't resist!
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
Yeah Link! Conduct heat! :)

O RLY?

a71fr.jpg

:wink:

Anyway...I do believe that the only thing I have left to do to the hub itself at this point is replace the crappy old phase wires with some new 12 (or was it 10?) AWG teflon ones I ordered way back when. Then I have to go through that godawful mess in my garage to find those two sensorless modules, because, at this point, I couldn't use the halls even if I wanted to. KNEW I should have taped at least one of them to the controller it was going in. >_<

Then vacuuform a new, temporary case for the S-Go's battery so I can stick it in a backpack and use it on this, because I'm still waiting on those batteries. :roll:

Oh, and a little more irony for you: You see the pattern the tubes are in now? They give the exact same flow pattern as the tight-radius bends. At the point I realized that, however, I was just like, ...No. Ignore the copper. It's not worth the frustration. If this starts leaking or something I can always redo it. Until then, a cat is fine, too.

So, yeah, friggin' wonderful...turns out that, probably due to bad luck, the controller I was gonna use for this thing is fuxxored.

Added in one of the sensorless modules I got from Keywin way back, and now I don't get any voltage at the phases. Throttle connector works, throttle works, aren't any internal shorts that I can detect...bleh...:? I'd say I simply failed miserably at soldering, only I don't know if the controller actually worked BEFORE I did this. :roll:

After I spent all that time upgrading the wiring to heftier-gauge teflon, too. :(

DSCN1369.jpg

DSCN1372.jpg

Oh, and, due to recent developments regarding me building a new PC, I'm using the Thermaltake pump for it's intended purpose (holy crap :shock:) and using this:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_357081_357081?cm_vc=C5503

...on the bike. Main reason being I sincerely doubt I'll be getting much water through the hub on that pump's 5PSI or whatever it was, and the spindle the impeller rests on was already cracked once; I'd question its continued integrity were I to use it on a bike.

I'll be waiting on that, though. I also ordered a fair length of nichrome wire with which to build that plastic heating oven, and with all the money I've been spending lately I'd rather put the actual water cooling part of this off until, say, my friggin' batteries are restocked. :x Word to the wise: Do NOT order that size of Zippy from HobbyKing if they're not in stock and you want them within a reasonable timeframe.

Still need to find a suitable DC/DC for all this...

Link said:
Do NOT order that size of Zippy from HobbyKing if they're not in stock and you want them within a reasonable timeframe....

been there, done that..Still haven't got the T shirt.
ordered 4 in febuary, got them in like 2 days. they worked great, so ordered 4 more, but they were out of stock. Finaly got them in may.

Link said:
Sweet...all that's left to do now is test for leaks and seal up any there.

DSCN1368.jpg

GEE aren't I good in tight spaces with a caulking gun...

Oh, silicone...you adhere to metal pretty well, are waterproof, good for up to 400°F, and can me made into fake...yeah, is there anything you can't do?

Wait... isn't the tubing supposed to be copper? And wouldn't it be better if the "copper tube" were nearly as wide as the inside and held flat against the circumference to maximize contact area?(The cross section of the tube would be highly elliptical or roundly rectangular)

swbluto said:
Wait... isn't the tubing supposed to be copper? And wouldn't it be better if the "copper tube" were nearly as wide as the inside and held flat against the circumference to maximize contact area?(The cross section of the tube would be highly elliptical or roundly rectangular)

In an ideal world, yes.

In the one I live in where the only things I have to do this with are basic hand tools, this is as good as it gets.

Figuring that the 1GPH pump can move around 250W continuous for every degree Celcius that the radiators can convect to air, I think I should still be pretty okay with the steel transferring the heat to the water through the core. Hardly ideal, but still...far, FAR better than what an unmodified, sealed hub could do.

Said pump shipped today, BTW.

inb4linktakesforevertodostuff

So the Shur-Flo arrived yesterday, and I set up a little experiment to see how well my money was spent this afternoon.

DSCN1392.jpg

For the Shur-Flo, I figure I got my $50 worth. It's pretty solid and took just under 40 seconds to fill that measuring cup/bowl/thing to the 8 cup (1/2 gal) mark. So it doesn't really live up to the 1GPM spec (though I think a fair bit of resistance to flow on the intake side could be dragging it down slightly), I tested it at about 45GPM, and that's with a length of the really small tubing I have going into the axle on the 406 on the exit.. That translates to around 160W per degree dissipated by the radiators. Not too shabby, considering that I'm putting in a WAG that they'll be able to drop 10°C or more. If they can't, I'll probably look into a dual-120mm radiator and some 120CFM+ fans to put on it.

The Thermaltake, however, seems to be so overspecced it's not funny. According to the manufacturer's data, it can move 500lph. I'm assuming that's probably with the 3/8" OD fittings and about 1" of tube on either side, because it took 2:02 to get to the same 1/2gal mark. 15GPH translates to about 57lph. :| I'll measure it again when I actually get the cooling loop set up, but I'm not sure the long intake on the Thermaltake was having THAT much effect, since the water level in the bowl I was using to feed it was a few inches above the pump. Plus, while the Shur-Flo's was 3/8" ID while the Thermaltake's was 1/4" ID, the Shur-Flo's was about double the length.

I'll probably sell the Thermaltake for whatever I can get out of it ($25-30 maybe...) and replace it with a Swiftech at some point, because I'm not sure that's gonna be all that much better than even the relatively small, stock cooler that came with the CPU without a pretty large radiator, and I'm going to be relying on the (finned) reservoir to do the cooling.

Interestingly, the Shur-Flo is surprisingly quiet. About as quiet as the Thermaltake is before all the air gets out of it. I was expecting to possibly have to acoustically enclose it somehow, but it's likely less noisy than the motor's going to be at low speed. Has a sorta soft, engine'y sound to it, too, as it IS a diaphragm pump. Kind of a plus, I guess.

Still waiting on the batteries. Some new ones by Turnigy specced the same as the ones I ordered showed up, so I might cancel my order and get some of those instead.

Need to get some of those ceramic toroidial isolators I got from Orvac a long time ago. I can wire the nichrome around them for the oven.

Link,

I'm jealous of your 'vacuum former'! Years ago when I was building custom PC's I was pining for one of those things to make duct-work for the CPU cooling.

One of the things you may want to put in your water cooling circuit (you prolly already thought about it anyway) is a little 'surge tank', mounted up high, above the motor height and above the pump. It prolly should be vented to atmospheric (and you could use that to fill the system too). With a little air space in it to help purge the air. Maybe have the radiator dump into that and then use another tube coming from the bottom to feed the pump (which you're probably planning on placing low somewhere).

Are your windings as dark as they look in the pictures (very warm motor)?

Mark

Link- A properly designed pump for a closed loop cooling system would have no ability to pump against a head. In otherwords, in a closed loop (zero gravity head), that thermaltake pump could have entirely different performance.

This is tough for me to tell you, because I see a lot of work in your project, but you should know before spending more effort and resources on something. I work as an engineer to design cooling systems (and power generation) for datacenter devices. I specialize in the physics of thermodynamics and fluid dynamics. I can tell you this setup is going to be of no benifit to cooling the motor. Energy can only flow when it has a temp difference. The temp difference needed to be transfering any signifigant energy through that amount of insulation from the windings to the water would be so great that the magents would be de-gaussed, and the windings toasted before the cooling would begin to help.

Get some 1/8" copper ref tubing. Don't try to do criss-cross nonsense. Don't try to do a bunch of tight bends either. Roll the copper around the outside edges. Just 2 passes on each side will do. Then grind your slot big enough to let that tubeing can pass through the axel slot. Grind a slot of each side if you must. Epoxy the loops to the inside of the stator with thermal epoxy. I always use artic silver for my projects, but it's kinda pricey for large jobs, so cheaper stuff would be better suit this project. You can also make your own. Mix aluminum and/or copper dust into long cure-time epoxy until you can't physically get anymore into it, and it turns into play-dough. Pack it in tightly around the tubes to get as good of contact as possible with the inside of the stator.

A low flowrate setup like that will need to operate off a high temp difference to be transfering a useful amount of energy. That means no vinal.

If you follow those instructions, you will have functional water cooling.

Best Wishes,
-Luke

GringoInChina said:
One of the things you may want to put in your water cooling circuit (you prolly already thought about it anyway) is a little 'surge tank', mounted up high, above the motor height and above the pump. It prolly should be vented to atmospheric (and you could use that to fill the system too). With a little air space in it to help purge the air. Maybe have the radiator dump into that and then use another tube coming from the bottom to feed the pump (which you're probably planning on placing low somewhere).

Are your windings as dark as they look in the pictures (very warm motor)?

Yeah, it'll probably just be a section of tube on a T-fitting in-line with the loop in a handy place where I can fill it when the need arises.

Dunno. It's secondhand. But I hear some of the C'lyte's windings are just dark. These seem to be sort of bonded with what's probably a thermal epoxy, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's why they look sort of black-ish.

liveforphysics said:
Link- A properly designed pump for a closed loop cooling system would have no ability to pump against a head. In otherwords, in a closed loop (zero gravity head), that thermaltake pump could have entirely different performance.

True! Which is why I didn't eBay the Thermaltake on the spot. However, there IS the resistance to flow introduced by the tubing itself, which is determined by the inside diameter, length, and how rough it is inside. I tried getting as close to that as I could with my setup via having the water enter and exit at the same gravitational potential, but, thinking back, the longer section of tube really should have been on the exit, not the entrance. Probably test it again like that, just to see how much of an effect that had...

liveforphysics said:
This is tough for me to tell you, because I see a lot of work in your project, but you should know before spending more effort and resources on something. I work as an engineer to design cooling systems (and power generation) for datacenter devices. I specialize in the physics of thermodynamics and fluid dynamics. I can tell you this setup is going to be of no benifit to cooling the motor. Energy can only flow when it has a temp difference. The temp difference needed to be transfering any signifigant energy through that amount of insulation from the windings to the water would be so great that the magents would be de-gaussed, and the windings toasted before the cooling would begin to help.

Lul, too late. It was effectively done when the silicone dried.

I'm not expecting it to go through the vinyl tubes. I'm expecting it to go through the metal stator and for the water to take care of it from there. Maybe I should have posted a pic of how it would look between the spokes of the stator...

liveforphysics said:
Get some 1/8" copper ref tubing. Don't try to do criss-cross nonsense. Don't try to do a bunch of tight bends either. Roll the copper around the outside edges. Just 2 passes on each side will do. Then grind your slot big enough to let that tubeing can pass through the axel slot. Grind a slot of each side if you must. Epoxy the loops to the inside of the stator with thermal epoxy. I always use artic silver for my projects, but it's kinda pricey for large jobs, so cheaper stuff would be better suit this project. You can also make your own. Mix aluminum and/or copper dust into long cure-time epoxy until you can't physically get anymore into it, and it turns into play-dough. Pack it in tightly around the tubes to get as good of contact as possible with the inside of the stator.

I'm still considering doing that, actually. The middle bit of the stator should be fine, since it's contacting the water directly, but heat from the outer edges of the stator (where the windings loop into the next slot; near the side covers) will have to go through about double the iron to be removed from the motor.

It wouldn't be too hard at all, since I'd just leave the middle assembly in place and splice in the copper loops, but I'm curious to see just how much a difference it could have. When I test it, I'll probably have six or more different thermistors on it to map out how much temperature difference there is between the side the water enters on, the side it exits on, the windings for either side, the median point between them, and the axle. Plus I'll probably monitor the temperature of the water going into the hub, coming out of the hub, going into the radiators, and going out of the radiators.

If I figure I'd benefit enough from adding a few passes of copper (which probably won't take much to convince me of), I'll do it. If there's not really very much temperature difference between the middle of the stator and the left and right halves, then...uh...I'll still probably do it anyway, just so the copper tubing I have left won't feel like a total waste. :p

liveforphysics said:
A low flowrate setup like that will need to operate off a high temp difference to be transfering a useful amount of energy. That means no vinal.

*shrugs*

I figure if these motors can live totally enclosed with how much power SOME people here are putting through them :roll:, mine should be okay with even crappy water cooling.

Also: More stupid ideas are popping into my head. How much would it cost to get a die that would stamp out stator laminations for a motor, ya figure?

Link,

Just to make sure that I understand your rig, the water flows into what was originally the open air spaces between the spokes using the plates to create the sealed spaces, right? Then all that silicone is just to prevent the water from leaking everywhere else, and the plastic tubing is just to transport the water to the radiator after it has been heated by direct contact with the aluminum "spokes" holding the laminations of the stator in place? If that's the way it works, then I think you're on to something effective and relatively easy given limited tooling. I think Luke was looking at it that you were trying to transfer heat from the stator through the vinyl tubing to get the the water, but the way I think you have it, you have a lot of surface area contact of the water directly to the aluminum. I think that way is much better than the way I've been trying to figure out winding metal tubing around in there and trying to bond that tubing to the stator.

It should help you run much cooler during long duration higher amperage, but keep in mind that heat transfer takes time, so the windings will still heat up significantly with short high amp bursts, however, you definitely should be able to move that heat out much better than a sealed hub over the long haul. ie Short burst performance won't improve much, but a significantly higher continuous amperage should be possible than an unmodified motor. That is assuming you have water in direct contact with the aluminum inside, and sufficient radiator to effectively cool the warm water. :?:

John

Yeah, the middle of the hub is pretty much totally flooded.

Also, more testing.

With the radiators in place and the intake shortened to a little over a foot, the Shur-Flow manages very slightly lower (like a two-second difference) than the 45GPH it did before.

The Thermaltake did MUCH better than before when unrestricted on either side, matching the Shur-Flo's 45GPH. Still nowhere near advertised spec, but much better than before. With the radiators in place, it didn't fare so well, taking about 1:15 to fill the bowl (24GPH).

Then I tested the radiators. In series (didn't test them in parallel) and at 75°F ambient with the cheap 27CFM fans, they manage to drop about 5°F when the water entering them was 120°F. That's a 2.8°C difference, or just over 310W constant heat removal. Hardly spectacular, but that'll go up as the temperature of the water entering the radiators rises and, given how warm the air coming out of the radiators was, I'm guessing they could definitely benefit from better fans. I'm debating whether to buy a better quality, dual-120mm radiator and a pair of 120CFM fans, or just keeping these and getting a pair of 87CFM Tornados. Seems kind of a waste to put fans like that on such cheap radiators, though, so I'm leaning toward the dual-120.

I got paid and those Turnigy batts are still in stock. I'm going to contact HobbyKing and see if I can't get my order cancelled so I can buy four of them.

Sweet, HK got my order cancelled in like two hours, and I've got four 22.2V 5Ah packs on the way (but not really, since I have to wait for the liposack to be restocked :roll:). Along with a Swiftech MCR-220 dual-120mm radiator and two 120CFM Delta fans.

There goes my whole paycheck. :(

Back