Pairing IGH with mid-drive motor on fatbike. Suggestions?

LCL76

1 µW
I wanted to know if anyone has tried pairing an internal gear hub with a mid-drive motor? I also wanted to know about getting thinner rims and tires. What's the thinnest you could put on? I plan on doing most of my riding on the road but wouldn't mind still being able to hit a trail or two. Looking for the right combination for what I want to do.

You are going to stress the crap out of an IGH with a mid-drive motor AND fat wheels. The only one that I can confidently say might handle the abuse is a Rohloff. I hope money isn't a big constraint... :shock:

As far as I know, the Sturmey-Archer SX-RK3 is the only IGH available for a fat bike 170mm wide dropout unless you have an asymmetrical rear then any Shimano, Sturmey-Archer or Nuvinci IGH for a 135mm rear dropout should be an option. Don't know if Rolhoff do a fat bike IGH as they are little pricier than I want to spend at the moment.

Consider mounting a left-side sprocket such that the electric motors power is transferred through the IGH shell rather than in series with human input. No gearing for the motor, but you're the one who needs gearing the most anyway. Just a thought.

Bikesdirect.com sells a couple of Fatbike models that have 3 inch wide tires. They also sell some models with 4 inch tires but only a 68mm BB (because they are a single speed the chain line still works). One of those bikes would support a mid drive and an IGH. I spent a couple of hours searching and reading this forum and decided that no IGH except maybe the Rohloff was up to the task of handling the strength requirements of an electric motor plus human power when ridden off road. There are many, many entries where IGH units failed in those conditions.

leelorr said:
Bikesdirect.com sells a couple of Fatbike models that have 3 inch wide tires. They also sell some models with 4 inch tires but only a 68mm BB (because they are a single speed the chain line still works). One of those bikes would support a mid drive and an IGH. I spent a couple of hours searching and reading this forum and decided that no IGH except maybe the Rohloff was up to the task of handling the strength requirements of an electric motor plus human power when ridden off road. There are many, many entries where IGH units failed in those conditions.

It's worth noting the older Nuvinci hubs, I think N171's, that sometimes pop up on Ebay and elsewhere, have a really high torque rating and 5kw power rating. They list details on their site along with info about the developer kit. They're usually fairly cheap too. While they don't have the range of a Rohloff, they're actually not shabby at all, and of course, continuous.

OKAY Everyone I am new here... I am no knucklehead, BUT I feel I need to be spoken to plainly as if I were a toddler. I am new to this wild world of electric motor tech, BUT I am rather driven.

I recently bought a fat tire bike (mongoose). I just found out about IGH cool concept yet it seems limited and not sure how well that would work on a fat tire (installation). I wanted to jump in by buying my own motor(s) and crafting an ebike from scratch. I then found out about these Mid-Drives I LOVE design but again limited. I want a BFM (Big Flippin' Motor) I want power out the Wazzoo.

I prefer the fat tire for the greater traction and control. I am no power hungry speed demon on the road. I have always been a sensible motorcyclist, BUT I want power for a good solid push down and UP the road being able to hold a solid 40 mph each way. If need be I will venture to create my own everything with ideas already existing, BUT as I am in the R of my RnD I am looking to gather as much info as I can get.

I am looking to hook up a large power source and a large motor.

Talk to me people even if it is deconstructive criticism. I want to evolve this tech. I want to ROCK THIS WORLDS PERCEPTION OF WHAT IS POSSIBLE!

Post Script

I know none of you here but I must say thank you for existing and I love all of you.

AND as I know not the status of my account profile. I am male, 30, 180lbs, in the US, DOWN IN THE WEST TEXAS TOWN OF EL PASO.

The first thing you'll need to do is read all around the forum for the many noob threads all about the stuff you're asking, because if you read what we already wrote, we won't have to retype it all in just for you.

hhhmmmm..... wow amber i was hoping for a different kind of direct than that. thank you for the input.

Yeah so are there any other options than igh and mid drives not including that one that presses on the tire.? If not is it easy to install a larger motor onto these mid drive systems

I am not a great researcher Amber i am better with here and now conversation with hands on action.

Back