PAS Sensor compatible with Cycle Analyst

you'd need to know which wires are which on it, then wire those to the appropriate pins on the pas plug of the ca.

then setup the ca for the number of poles that sensor has. (if it doesn't say, you can use a multimeter on the pas signal output pin while it's hooked to the ca, and count how many changes in voltage you get in one crank rotation, and use that).

amberwolf said:
you'd need to know which wires are which on it, then wire those to the appropriate pins on the pas plug of the ca.

then setup the ca for the number of poles that sensor has. (if it doesn't say, you can use a multimeter on the pas signal output pin while it's hooked to the ca, and count how many changes in voltage you get in one crank rotation, and use that).

Does this mean the sensor I mentioned is basically compatible with the CA and its just a matter of finding the right pins?
What about the different voltages: 10V for CA and 5V for many PAS sensors?
And what about the different operating principles: bipolar digital hall sensors with latch or without, etc.
How can I know if this PAS sensor is CA compatible?

neos said:
Does this mean the sensor I mentioned is basically compatible with the CA and its just a matter of finding the right pins?
i couldn't tell you if that sensor is or is not.

you will have to read the ca info page, and compare that with the sensor info page, to see if the way the sensor works is compatible with what the ca needs.

then for how to wire it up, you'll need to know which pins are which on the sensor to do that, so if the seller doesn't say, it's a lot easier not to use that sensor.

is there a specific reason you're set on using that sensor?

if not, it's much easier to get a sensor that you *know* is compatible with the ca. if you have not bought the ca yet, then you could simply by them both at the same time from grin tech, and thus know they will work togehter.

amberwolf said:
is there a specific reason you're set on using that sensor?

I have a NCM Moscow and this sensor is the default sensor.
Therefore it is already perfectly integrated.

amberwolf said:
if not, it's much easier to get a sensor that you *know* is compatible with the ca. if you have not bought the ca yet, then you could simply by them both at the same time from grin tech, and thus know they will work togehter.

My goal is to reuse as many parts as possible of the Moscow.
It's not just about saving money but also about keeping the modifications as clean / invisible as possible.

ok. well, as i said, i don't know whether it is compatible or not; since you have it there then if you have the necessary equipment you can find out what properties and wiring it has, and what hte ca can do is on the ca info pages / manuals / etc.

keep in mind that it is most helpful to give those you ask questions of the entire set of details of what you want to do, what you want to do it with, what you already have, etc. this lets them help you better. ;)

ok. well, as i said, i don't know whether it is compatible or not; since you have it there then if you have the necessary equipment you can find out what properties and wiring it has, and what hte ca can do is on the ca info pages / manuals / etc.

keep in mind that it is most helpful to give those you ask questions of the entire set of details of what you want to do, what you want to do it with, what you already have, etc. this lets them help you better. ;)
Yeah I apologize for the less than stellar details. I thought I had it figured and then I didn't. I'm just overwhelmed at this point. Everything else wired up nicely, halls, phase wires... everything but pas.

The pas plug coming from the CA has
White/10v
Black/ground
Blue/direction
Yellow/rpm
Green/torque

I soldered white/10v to 12v side of regulator
and get nothing for pas.

Yeah I apologize for the less than stellar details. I thought I had it figured and then I didn't. I'm just overwhelmed at this point. Everything else wired up nicely, halls, phase wires... everything but pas.

The pas plug coming from the CA has
White/10v
Black/ground
Blue/direction
Yellow/rpm
Green/torque

I soldered white/10v to 12v side of regulator
and get nothing for pas.

Not sure why you are apologizing. The thread you're replying to is from a different member (Neos) that hasn't been back in years.

Regarding the problem you yourself are having, we'd need to know what specific PAS sensor you are using, and what it's specific wiring and voltage requirements are, to be able to help you connect it to the CA's PAS plug.

Not sure why you are apologizing. The thread you're replying to is from a different member (Neos) that hasn't been back in years.

Regarding the problem you yourself are having, we'd need to know what specific PAS sensor you are using, and what it's specific wiring and voltage requirements are, to be able to help you connect it to the CA's PAS plug.
I'm using the bbs02 pas sensor. From what I understand, the CA provides 10v and bbs02 needs 5v but now I'm unsure as it doesn't work.

I'm using the bbs02 pas sensor. From what I understand, the CA provides 10v and bbs02 needs 5v but now I'm unsure as it doesn't work.
If you are providing 10v to a 5v device, then the device may be damaged and not work. I note you already have a thread that appears to be regarding this same problem that help has been being provided in, it would be best to keep all of your posts about this in that thread so that people helping will be able to see all of your information about it there, and not have to have you repeat things you might have posted elsewhere. ;)

If you prefer to troubleshoot the problem here in this thread, I can move all of those posts to this one instead if you like. Or move the ones here into that one.

If you prefer to split the troubleshooting between threads, you can do that, too, but the quality of help is likely to be less useful or require more work by you to keep both of them updated so that time is not wasted asking and answering questions already done in one but not the other.

If you are providing 10v to a 5v device, then the device may be damaged and not work. I note you already have a thread that appears to be regarding this same problem that help has been being provided in, it would be best to keep all of your posts about this in that thread so that people helping will be able to see all of your information about it there, and not have to have you repeat things you might have posted elsewhere. ;)

If you prefer to troubleshoot the problem here in this thread, I can move all of those posts to this one instead if you like. Or move the ones here into that one.

If you prefer to split the troubleshooting between threads, you can do that, too, but the quality of help is likely to be less useful or require more work by you to keep both of them updated so that time is not wasted asking and answering questions already done in one but not the other.
Yes, I would appreciate that as I made a mistake while posting. Didn't mean to split them.

Yes, I would appreciate that as I made a mistake while posting. Didn't mean to split them.
Appreciate which one? (there were three options provided ;) )

Appreciate which one? (there were three options provided ;) )
To troubleshoot the problem here instead of splitting threads.lol

Sorry, I'm actively trying to troubleshoot this issue and also have like 5 endless sphere tabs open.. I guess I'm done troubleshooting for now because I don't know what else could be the issue. I did just confirm that the bbs02 pas sensor does work, I connected an HD controller to it to check.

Last edited:
To troubleshoot the problem here instead of splitting threads.lol

Sorry, I'm actively trying to troubleshoot this issue.. well I guess I'm done because I don't know what else could be the issue. I did just confirm that the bbs02 pas sensor does work, I connected an HD controller to it to check.
I'm guessing the regulator I got from grin is broken. I'm not sure if it's required that I adjust pas pole count in the CA in order for it to read the pas sensor in the bbs02 but nothing I've come across has pointed to doing so. I'm very frustrated!!!

Last edited:
Personally, when I ran into this issue, I just bought a PAS sensor from Grin and have two mounted on my ebike at the same time. One for the original generic controller and one for the Grin Baserunner. The generic sensor is far better and built into the bike, but it just wasn't compatible.

That said, if you really want to keep trying to get the non-Grin one working, there is a consideration other than 5V vs. 10V. Some of the magnet rings that come with the PAS sensors alternate up and down magnets and some don't. My Grin PAS sensor doesn't work with my generic PAS sensor magnet wheel. When I go to the debug screen on the Cycle Analyst, I can see it just gets half the readings it expects.

Supposedly you can get a Grin setup to work with single direction magnet rings, but I never managed it. It was easier to just super glue their different magnet ring on the other side, adjust their different voltage sensor to be close enough to the ring that both poles registered reliably when spinning the pedals using zip ties, and go from there.

There is supposed to be some sort of advantage to all these incompatibilities. 10V is rare for PAS sensors, but common for torque sensors, apparently. Two pole magnet rings can tell forward and back apart easier, stuff like that. Admittedly very annoying, though.

Back