Planning an E-bike event in the Eastern Sierras

D-lo

1 W
Howdy,

I have an idea for planning an E-bike event in the eastern Sierras and was looking to see what kind of interest their would be. West of the town of Lone Pine CA, is Mt Whitney, tallest peak in contiguous United States; and in between lie the Alabama Hills. The Alabama Hills are a group of hills and rocks similar to Joshua Tree. These hills serves as the backdrop for many a John Wayne movies, the old Lone Ranger, as well as many others, including more recently Tremors, Iron Man, and the Transformers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama_Hills

Through these hills are miles of roads which could provide an excellent cross country route. In addition there are also some monsters hills which could provide for a hill climb completion. Lastly, there is an old Army runway across from the Manzanar relocation center that car enthusiasts use for speed competitions. The greatest drawback is that many of the trails are composed of decomposed granite- kind of large sand. It is great when it winter comes and it freezes, it is more compact. But in the summer months it is great for fat tire action. And honestly I have never taken an E-out there so I don't know how they would handle the trail. The dirt roads are fine, well maybe wash boarded out.

There is camping, fishing, hiking, photography, exploring old mines; Death Valley is about 100 miles away; Mammoth about an hour. There is a prk for venders and a hall for lectures and whatnot, as well as a theater if there were any movies to be shown. The location is kind of central for Nor Cal and Socal- three hours from LA. I figured it would be a great proving ground for E-bikes and their riders, as well as companies to get together for some friendly competition.

I used to teach in the town, so I know who to talk to and how to arrange it, but it would be time consuming and cost me money to just plan the event. How many people would be interested in something like this?

We could do it informally by all means, but I would like to establish an event like this where manufacturers show up to demonstrate products and consumers can check the products out for themselves.

I was kind of hoping to get a few replies, as it might have given me a little encouragement, but since I don't rely on other's I went to check it out and do some riding there. I forgot how gravelly the soil was, it is the kind of gravel where you pedal and just sink into the sand. However, the Magic Pie 5 was able to create enough torque to allow me to ride through it like I used to on my motorcycle- yamaha wr400. I took some video from my iphone, but it there is a lot of rolling shutter. Here is a link to the video :https:// http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhM2gty8nNg I would love to have had someone out there filming with a drone. this place is Fat tire country for sure! Look at the tip of the seat, then straight up, and that is Mt. Whitney. The big peak is Lone Pine Peak.

Back