Possible Arduino Shield for LTC6804, LTC6830 or LTC3300

mwkeefer

1 MW
Hello All;

There have been some questions raised in the Arduino Shield for IT bq76PL536A Thread with regards to using one of these ASICs (Application Specific Integrated Circuits) to design a functional Arduino UNO BMS Shield <Insert Chip Here>.

I thought it would be a good idea to start a new topic instead of cluttering an active project with a possible future one.

That said, I've no personal experience with any of the above and only information I have is from a very adept and respected member of ES whom I will not name who built a fully functional BMS for a undisclosed client and claimed the 6803 was buggy as hell! There are many other complaints about this chip - things about blowing if cells are connected out of sequence (idiot proof it's not) and forget the cost at 17.00 to 20.00 per unit.

Finally - if they have improved in the 6804, 6830 or the newest (I think) LTC3300 and are more robust with less chance of failure... they do handle 12S each so they only single price just 3-6.00 more than equivalent TI chips and may well be worth exploring a design around - this would be of the type which could handle an entire pack with either a single or dual LTC chips controlled by a single Arduino / Atmega328 or better MCU.

I invite those with experience with any of these chips and their designs to freely post comments, tips, recommendations, code (in any language), wish lists, etc.

I'm reasonably certain between David Wahl and / or I, we could produce a nice variation in shield and standalone - remote MCU form (to isolate MCU from heat of pack).

Regards,
Mike Keefer

mwkeefer said:
...I thought it would be a good idea to start a new topic instead of cluttering an active project ...
agree and subscribed, r

I'll add to this saying one of the main reasons I haven't bothered to seriously pursue the active balancing route (beyond the complexity) is that for most people I don't think that the benefit of active balancing is worth it for most people. After the initial balancing cycle most packs will balance pretty quickly unless the cells differ in terms of capacity/internal resistance. Even the Chevy Volt/ Opel Ampera uses passive cell balancing.

What about joining an Ardulog2to a MAX14921? Both of them support SPI interface, Ardulog already carries an SD card and a logging firmware, and MAX14921 supports up to 16 cells!
That would be a very interesting, cheap and small project!
Unfortunately I have not the tools and the skills to handle SMD devices... so my MAX14921 samples are stuck in a drawer since months!

The PL536 is pretty solid. I would LOVE to see that. Turnkey, but customizable. I certainly don't have the time to invest, but it's a very viable and useful idea.

dmwahl said:
Subscribed. Once the TI version I'm working on is in a stable state I'll consider an LTC version, maybe by then the 6804 will be available.

I designed, and had circuit boards made, for a daughter board that has everything needed to communicate with the LTC6804 (ltc6820 communications), but didnt attempt my first SMD soldering yet.
Might get back to that project soon.

Back