potentiometer for temporary throttle

latecurtis

100 MW
Postby matt912836 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:54 pm

Broken throttle, temp fix with potentiometer?

As a temporary fix ive read you can simply wire up a 5k potentiometer to where the sensor was and use that as a throttle instead.

I took his advice and got one at radio shack. I will use the potentiometer if I can figure out how to mount it. possibly drilling a hole thru the handlebars and using silicone to attach the bottom of the pot
to the bottom of the handlebar with the knob facing up and at a slight angle for ease of operation. My question is will I get full power from the controller at the potentiometers maximum setting or will there still be some resistance. Also is the sensor he is referring to the wires going to the throttle and not the brake sensors. I do not wish to use the brake sensors at this time. I want a simple hookup minimum wires to get the bike to work.
The back brake is broken with the plastic piece on the end of the sensor cable sticking out. I don't wish to repair this but want to replace rear brake system with disk. no sensor. The front brakes are intact and the sensor can be used if I want to get that cruise control thing.

Then you get a Crystalyte cruise control module with an adapter cable for $19 from Ed Lyen:

If I don't like the way the pot works then I will get it.

As I posted earlier The 36 volt charger does not have the correct plug to plug into my currie stock 24 volt case. I will need an adapter or to cut the ends off of both chargers and attach the 24 volt plug onto the 36 volt charger. I guess by the way I may as well get used to things like this by what I read earlier.

I think the answers are no, you won't get cruise function, and no, it won't be just plug in. Life's not so simple. Postby d8veh » Thu May 29, 2014 5:22 am.

Since I will constantly have to modify things to work I may as well get a kit that has all or most of the plugs and connectors I will need. I don't want to use electric tape as it is only a temporary fix and will not stand up to the elements. also it looks stupid. What is the most frustrating is when I am doing a project and I am missing a part I need to do the job right. and since I don't have a car I will have to walk about three miles to an electronics store or a home depot to get a dollar or two dollar part. Then I get all the way home and find out it's the wrong one or I need something else.

please post me a link for a plug and connector kit.

I found at radio shack a fix to the wire insulation problem on the main wire going to the motor and controller. some of it rubbed of as it came into contact with the rear wheel. They have replacement insulation about three or four inches long that glues on over the wire where the copper is exposed. good thing because I did not want to replace my entire wiring harness for shure.

I still have a while before for all my parts to come in. I will want new tires as mine are bald. What is the best choice. maby the same tires that came with the bike only new. never had a flat with them

or if somebody has an opinion on what tire and tube has the least chance of getting a flat I will want to hear about it. From the most important to the least.

Will the pot work.

connector and plug kit.

Disk brakes for rear.

New tires and tubes.

Also I picked up 12 feet of 10 gauge wire from the depot. It will have to be connected at the empty currie battery case as all three batteries will be mounted to the triangle frame. The wires coming out the top of the case are 16 gauge as the original wires inside the case which connected the two 10 Ah batteries and the fuse were the same or smaller than 16 gauge. I will waite for the kit with the proper connectors in it instead of using electrical tape or wire nuts.

You are seriously hampering efforts to help you by continuously starting new threads.

The problem's history gets lost. There is no narrative, backstory or two way conversation. People who have replied and subscribed to your previous threads are not sent a message about new posts in new threads. Makes it vary hard to follow.

No joke, I'm getting tempted to lock some threads.

PM me your address, and I'll send you a funky, but free throttle. I have some that were stripped off various broken ebikes.

Here's a link to some charger ports: http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/charger-ports.html. Try to stick with the 3 prong 2 wire ports. You'll probably need the 3 prong male 2 wire paired with the 3 prong female 2 wire XLR plug.

It wont work to just switch the plugs dont want to order anymore stuff takes too long to get here

switch the 36 volt plug for the 24 volt plug that plugs in.

need the connector and plug kit with a thing to strip wires

also need disk brakes for rear

also nobody answered me if the pot would work

Ill try not to start new threads sorry

I can testify that using a pot will work. I couldn't find a 5k one that matched the size of the one in the original throttle, so I ended up with a 10k one. Well, I couldn't get the thing back into the throttle housing, so I ended up using it just as it was.

I used two zip ties to secure mine to my handlebars. I figure it was pretty darn secure be/c the other day, the long throttle wire got caught on something, and instead of the pot coming loose from under the zip ties, it broke the pcb board of the pot. So, if you secure it right, it will stay put.

My pot had a built in switch, so there was a way to click it so that it was OFF. It did feel odd always having to turn the pot off when I was at a stop sign, rather than just letting go of a throttle. I didn't test to see if it was safe to just leave it at the lowest setting before clicking to OFF.

Getting it to work is just a matter off soldering the three original wires to the throttle.

I am not starting a new thread as I was advised not to so I will ask my next question. Before my parts arrive I wish to take close up pictures of my bike and the wires coming out where my throttle pass and tag switch and broken right brake with the plastic sensor piece sticking out. The pass and tag switch are removed as well as the broken throttle with several colored wires sticking out.

Since I will be fixing and upgrading the bike myself there is no room for error. As I learned when burning out the stock 24 volt controller. Trial and error trying to hook wires up burns out the controller. That's what happened when I tried to hook up the throttle wires to the pas/tag switch when my stock throttle fell apart. Lets cut to the chase. How do I post pictures on this forum. I don't know how.
I will be getting a camera and taking pictures to post before I hook up the 36 volt controller The potentiometer or free throttle I may be getting from a fellow ES member. or maybe even a cruise control module if I may acquire one. I will try the pot first as it seems to be the most simple but if it limits the power on the hills I will be hooking up a throttle and some sort of cruise control feature.

I Unhooked and removed the stock 24 volt controller and a picture up close will show the plugs of the wiring harness. There may not be enough room to accommodate the new controller in the metal box area where the old controller was, if that is the case then I will need advice on where to mount the new controller. I wish to continue using the on and off power switch on the back of the box the controller came out of as it is an excellent anti theft feature, as it is hidden and good luck trying to pedal that heavy beast if stealing it.

I want to thank the ES members who gave me information on the potentiometer and the ES member who may be sending me a free throttle.

I still am looking for an answer on where to get a kit which includes all the plugs and connectors I may need as this probably wont be my first E bike project. I will need plugs to connect the old 24 volt three prong male plug from the stock charger to replace the smaller three prong female plug on the 36 volt charger I got in the mail. It will be much more professional and last much longer than black electrical tape.

Also I need a link to a rear disk brake as the broken right brake system must be replaced, and if I am to use the brake sensor for a cruise control feature it will have to be wired into the front brake system which is currently intact and functioning.

Last but not least is The link on new tires and tubes as my tires are bald. Would the stock tires be a good choice or is there a really good alternative out there. I would hate to be ten miles or more away from home and get a flat. especially on the back as changing the rear tire on my e bike does not look easy.

Thank you all and I apologize if I ask too many questions as I am a NOOB or whatever someone new is referred to. I hope if I can get the pictures up and get proper advice that it may help many NOOB
people like myself. If someone who knows about this forum wants to change the name of the post to total e bike repair and upgrades or something that would make more sense, feel free to do so as I would want someone with many questions like myself to benefit from the ES experience. Thank you all Latecurtis out.

i advise u not to use a pot as a throttle unless it is a very low powered bike eg 36v max......it is very dangerous ..... :twisted:

perhaps it would be less dangerous if u had the ebrake hooked up, and a very sturdy pot with a big dial that can be reached with ease. but in general its not worth it i crashed in no more than two rides......

Ok I will only use the pot if there is an emergency and my throttle breaks when I am miles away from home. However I got my third 22Ah battery and three speed switch from ups today, the only thing I am waiting on is the 13 dollar controller that wont work with the 3 speed switch. The ETA on that controller is June 16 to July 3. I would much rather order a different, 3 speed controller that is compatible with the switch and which will come in sooner if possible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-bike-Scooter-3-Speed-Module-Switch-Electric-Bike-Ebike-Speed-Shift-Bicycle-KIT-/321392381536?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ad47a8e60&vxp=mtr

This is the switch I got. Is it in fact a three speed switch or is the center setting on the switch the off position. I am confused and don't know if I have an off switch, That I will need.

also I never got the free controller from dogman. He said he was sending it on a previous post. I could use it if the switch wont work. or if I am getting a new controller anyway is there one that has a cruise control feature so I could order a throttle like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Bike-48V-Gas-Twist-Throttle-LED-E-bike-Cruise-Throttle-KIT-Scooter-ATV-/321314801615?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4acfdac7cf

I posted this as the throttle of choice for me many threads ago but nobody including myself could find a controller that would plug into this. I would still preffer this throttle over any other choice. The switch or the free throttle are other options if I cannot get a controller with the cruise feature.

Free controller? Who said I was giving you a controller?

I just UPS-ed you a throttle dude. It should be able to work with the controller you may or may not have ever bought.

1ZWX09220330726702 That's your UPS tracking number.

I meant throttle not controller, sorry dude and thanks again. I will be getting the controller around the 17 th I checked it. I will use the throttle you sent with that controller until I can find a controller that has the cruise control feature, then I will order a throttle with cruise and use the throttle you sent and the controller as a spare so if something breaks again I will still have a bike to ride while I am waiting for weeks for parts to come in. I saw the doctor again and he asked me when I am going to schedule my knee surgery. He was wondering how I can walk as far as I do. I walked about three miles to his office. He said that I am doing more damage and that I should stay off it. I really hate cabs and busses and don't want to get an electric scooter from the scooter store but I might look into it to see if medicade would cover it. but for now I am going to Waite for the parts to get it going. So if there is a controller 36 volt with a cruise control feature please let me know.
Also disk brakes for the back if my bike will fit disk brakes, if not I will have to fix the brakes I have. Also will the throttle your sending work without plugging in the brake sensor thing because the rear brake cable broke and the sensor thing plastic piece is sticking out and I don't know how to fix it.

Good just wanted you to be up and running somehow.

scottys cruise control.jpgI got my controller today. It came early. If you don't know me by now, you will realize that I am a very stubborn person and am not giving up on cruise control that easy. I did however give up on using switches instead of the controller. You guys talked some sense into me and now that I have got my controller and plan to use it I am not quite done with the potentiometer just yet. The throttle should be coming in any day from dogman. Please humor me one more time and at least look at my plan and give me an honest answer if this would work or not. see attachment. scottys cruise control.
Scott is my real name.

Please note that my rear brake cable is broken or disconnected. The throttle sensor plastic thing is sticking out. My front brakes are intact. There is a place downtown that works on bikes every Thursday nights. Its free to go there. Its called electric city bike club or something like that as I live in Schenectady NY. Home of the GE plant. But ironically they don't work on electric bikes as far as controllers, brake sensors, throttles or any electric wiring or electric parts including motors. However they may be able to fix the brakes or help me change the rear tire. as long as it is not electric but mechanical in nature. I wish someone like dogman or Drkangel were here in Schenectady or Albany as I would love to start an electric bike club where we could all get together and build and work on electric bikes. and electric scooters for that matter. but especially bikes. Maby there are some ES members in the area and someone could put up a post on it. I know someone who is really into computers which was one of my old hobby's and he could also set up a room for a net meeting type of thing with software and large screens so other members of ES could interact during the time that the club would be open. These ES members could be thousands of miles away and it would be as if they were there at the club. Two way communication and video. All they would need is a decent PC and the net meeting software. Please give this some thought and get back to me. Thanks.

I have waited well over three weeks since my bike broke. I have walked at least 50 miles on a leg that needs surgery. I ordered 100 dollars’ worth of parts. I just spent the entire night hooking up a cheap Chinese controller to a toggle switch hooked up to a pot because nobody on this forum can tell me where I can get a controller that will work with a throttle that has cheap Chinese cruise control.

I didn't get the throttle from dogman yet. UPS delivered it today and someone signed for it
Hopefully it was a neighbor who left for work this morning and I will still get it. I called UPS and they couldn’t even give me a name and address. Could have been anybody walking by. Looks like UPS is a bunch of morons. I would have at least looked at an ID and put the name and address in a computer.

The Chinese controller had a wiring diagram on top but was in Chinese. None of the plugs were the same as the stock currie controller but one. The motor wire on the old one was blue and green, heavy gauge wire. The new controller had a plug the same but the wires were blue and yellow heavy gauge. I plugged in the motor wires.

Now maby yu all can understand why I wanted to bypass the controller with relay switches on
Some of my earlier posts, I knew shit like this was going to happen. I don’t know shit about controllers,

The power wires were totally different plugs but same color wires on both controllers, red and black also heavy gauge wire. I switched the plugs and plugged in the power wire to the switch in the back of the controller box. I made sure switch was off.

The throttle plug should have three wires I thought. Only one plug on the new controller did. I plugged it into the throttle hal sensor plug. Also three wires. New controller wires were blue black and red. old controller were red black and green.

The old controller also had a candanse sensor plug, 2 brake inhibit plugs , a throttle battery plug and a throttle pass tag plug, all left unplugged.

The new controller had three plugs with a red and black wire going to each one. One of the plugs had a sticker on it about the size of a price tag with red Chinese writing on it. All those were unplugged. There may have been a couple other unplugs also.

The three wires for the throttle hal sensor red black and green plugged into the only three wire plug from the new controller which had red black and blue wires. Had to switch plugs again though.as the new controller plug was different,

The three wires coming out of the harness on the right handlebars were the red black and green wires. I hooked the black wire to the on off switch as I knew it was negative or ground. I also hooked the black wire up to the center connector of the pot.

Nothing worked. Bike is still a piece of shit.

Was the throttle hal sensor plug the right plug? . And does the black wire go to the center terminal of the pot? or does it go according to my wiring diagram for the pot and throttle where I used the red wire for the center of the pot and for the on off switch. Please let me know.

If I get the throttle from dogman I will try that. I still want to use both that way I will get full power up a hill with the throttle but still get to use cruise control with the pot by flicking a switch.as I showed on my previous post.

Mounting the switch, pot and three 22Ah lead batteries each weighing 13 pounds to the triangle of the bike with 6 bungee cords only and no gorilla tape this time were my only accomplishments tonight. Used electrical tape for the switch and pot though but everything’s really secure and ready for photos. Silicone over the battery terminals will reduce short probability during wet weather,

If I knew about controllers I wouldn’t be asking you guys. Please help me out here

If you can’t tell me how to hook up this cheap Chinese controller then you could at least tell me where I can get an american or english controller that I can use with a throttle that has cruise control.. Please. send me the links.

And if you cant find me a controller or tell me how to hook up mine then I designed a switch for the bike but need to know who can build it. Should not need resisters on this one, Might not know about cheap chineese controllers but went to collage for electrical technology. need 14 creditis for degree.Will pay experienced ES member for switch.

see attachment scottys solution.

scottys solution.jpg

see my new post Gary fisher new bike. life will be moving on

Back