Pouch cell separation

Treebeard

1 µW
I've got a gen 2 chevy volt battery I'm breaking down for a build. I'm planning on cutting the factory copper series connections and leaving the cells in their factory 2p configuration. Regarding keeping cells isolated from eachother, what's a good material to use? I've used kapton tape on smaller pouch cells before, but these are pretty big. I'm trying to stay as thin as I can, so foam might be a bit bulky.
Also, do I need to isolated every cell from the next one, or just between the series?
I'll have proper compression and protection for the pack.

You don't need to worry about separating cells in the same P group, only between S groups. I'd recommend using heavy Nomex paper. Stuff I got looks like card stock. There's also stuff called "fish paper" which is a thick paper-like sheet that's heat resistant. I've also used thin polycarbonate sheet for places I expect a lot of vibration and don't want it to wear through over time.

Kapton is very heat resistant, but generally pretty thin and can wear through with vibration. Enough layers of Kapton would work.

To prevent vibration wear (and interconnect fractures from repeated motion), just ensure that no part can move relative to other parts. Anything that can compress (like foams) can leave space for things to move.

As long as the only compressible parts are the pouches thesmelves, then any casing built to apply proper compression to the pouch faces themselves will keep anything in the compressed stack from moving relative to anything else in that stack.

I've got a gen 2 chevy volt battery I'm breaking down for a build. I'm planning on cutting the factory copper series connections and leaving the cells in their factory 2p configuration. Regarding keeping cells isolated from eachother, what's a good material to use? I've used kapton tape on smaller pouch cells before, but these are pretty big. I'm trying to stay as thin as I can, so foam might be a bit bulky.
Also, do I need to isolated every cell from the next one, or just between the series?
I'll have proper compression and protection for the pack.
Is it fair to ask where u bought gen2 volt,are you selling any?
thanks

Got some Kokam 57ah ,going to build 24s 1p pack, need something between cells,
i have space to work with, I like the fish paper idea but it might be too slipery and allow cell movement
will reg double sided tape and fish paper work?

Got some Kokam 57ah ,going to build 24s 1p pack, need something between cells,
i have space to work with, I like the fish paper idea but it might be too slipery and allow cell movement
will reg double sided tape and fish paper work?
Don't use sticky crap; it will ruin your cells if you ever need to disassemble the pack. Use whatever separators you want, but not sticky and with enough compression. If there's enough compression, they won't move relative to each other.

Got the Kokam cells today, they have foam on each side,i was going to use the plastic packing cut down ,it kind of has an imprint of the cell, it is hard thin plastic ,to insulate cells from each other,

Some pictures of cells

Attachments

• IMG_20240327_133123221_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240327_133123221_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240327_133758131_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240327_133758131_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240327_133220780_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240327_133220780_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
Back