QS 138 70H Advice

swiftyds

100 W
Hi

Some of you may have seen my previous posts related to an Aprilia RS50 that I’m converting using a 17” 4000W hub motor.

This has progressed to the stage where the motor is mounted in the swing arm which has been modified to extend the width at the rear with mounting plates to give the additional space for the hub motor to fit.

A15-D3933-3203-416-F-B0-DC-1-C7-A61-A6-D07-C.jpg

I’ve got the motor running with the controller and battery pack (Kelly KLS7275H and a custom made 72v 40Ah pack using Samsung 40T cells, with BMS set to limit at 150A discharge.

As you can see in the following picture, there’s not a lot of room to mount the disc brake on the swingarm, and its not possible to mount the brake hanger through the axle of the motor. I’m currently having a bracket made up that will be welded to the swing arm on the disc brake side just forward of the mounting plates which I’ll try to mount the brake caliper off but I’m not sure there will be sufficient clearance on that side of the swingarm.

17-C386-B4-B6-D5-4374-9-F81-D078-C601-A38-F.jpg

I don’t really want to start cutting and welding the swingarm to give further clearance and unfortunately there isn’t another swing arm from another bike I can easily use due to the narrow pivot width on the Aprilia (190mm).

So finally the reason for the post here......

I need a plan B if I can’t get the brake caliper mounted with my bracket which is to revert to a mid-mounted motor and use the QS138 70H 3000W motor. I’ve already got a price for this stand alone from QSMotor which is reasonable even including postage and taxes to the UK, and I would go with a chain drive, keeping the existing Aprilia rear wheel, swingarm un cut and existing brake caliper and mounting plate.

I need some advice on what I can reasonably expect to get out of this motor with my controller and battery set up. I know it’s limited to around 4,500 rpm unloaded without flux weakening. My design goal based on using the hub motor and the controller/battery set up was a max speed of 50-55 mph (80-90 kph) which was do-able on the basis I can get 150A burst out of the battery pack.

With the right motor sprocket and rear wheel sprocket, and keeping this chain drive (I don’t want to go belt drive) does this seem doable with the QS138 70H and Kelly KLS7275H?

Many thanks in advance

Yes, motor is capable of this, easily.

Difficulty might be if Kelly is not matching this motor well. Never seen anyone try this.

I’d just buy a votol EM-150 controller kit with motor, always good to have a spare controller. Kellys break often :wink:

Thanks for the reply - I ended up soldiering on with the existing hub motor set up and found another donor bike to use. Will post an update to my existing thread

Back