QS138 rewind for increased KV?

bikerpete

100 W
A few days ago I posted asking if anyone knew of a Plettenberg Nova 10 alternative at reasonable cost (and obviously reduced specs - I'm not trying to get something for nothing). No responses so I'm thinking there's not much out there.

So now I'm wondering if it's practical to rewind a QS138-70 for higher KV?
If I could get 50% more RPM out of it that would be excellent. I don't mind a reduction in torque as it's got more than I really need and I will adjust the gearing to maintain the same speed anyway.
I'm running 13S and even with FW getting sub 5k rpm, so there should be plenty of headroom mechanically for more rpm.

Has anyone done this or know of someone who has? I've searched for "qs138 rewind" and various permutations but not found anything.

Or is anyone familiar enough with the stock windings and stator to suggest what might be practical to achieve here?

I've rewound a couple of things in years gone by, but really have little to no idea what I'm doing - I'd probably just send the motor to a rewinder with instructions of what I'm after.

Cheers.

Based on costs for rewinders that have been posted on ES and DIYElectricCar at various times in the past, I would guess it is cheaper to just ask QSMotors to wind a new one for you to give you the specific output you want from it under your system conditions. If you don't want a whole motor they might supply just the stator; not sure what cost difference it might make.

Unless you can make a deal with her ;)
[youtube]mKWJnC9Ype8[/youtube]

amberwolf said:
Based on costs for rewinders that have been posted on ES and DIYElectricCar at various times in the past, I would guess it is cheaper to just ask QSMotors to wind a new one for you to give you the specific output you want from it under your system conditions. If you don't want a whole motor they might supply just the stator; not sure what cost difference it might make.

Unless you can make a deal with her ;)

I hadn't thought of asking QS. It's worth a try.
Thanks.

Why not just go for higher voltage?

According to QSmotors it shouldn’t be spun faster than 6000rpm, although the data sheet says up to 6900rpm

Attachments

• 50A3F33B-36A4-47D0-BAE1-A3299FD3EE95.png
    50A3F33B-36A4-47D0-BAE1-A3299FD3EE95.png
    641.7 KB · Views: 9
Confusing when there’s two parts that could be referred to:
motor rotor and the final axle

Easiest would be use field weakening, which this motor supposedly is well suited for

Back