Quest for "super stealth"

My inclination would be 1 throttle, and a simple switch to cut it off to the rear controller. Ride front hub till you need more, then switch on the rear.

Actually, two switches would be neat too, so you could run front only or back only. Why? so you could cool a hot motor, and run on the other awhile at your choice. So on a really long trip, you could alternate which motor every 30 min or so keeping em nice and cool for miles and miles.

Found that the supplied throttles are too visible, especially at night with 3 lights per throttle (the red button is for cruise control):

so I have removed them and fitted one no bells/whistles 3 wire throttle.
As the controllers are connected to the battery via a "Y" lead I do not connect power to the front hub motor controller when I want one wheel drive. I really do not mind the delay before 2 WD can be engaged but should get a handle on the efficiency of this bike's drive permutations before making a final wiring decision - CA time!

Dogman and MadRhino,

you really made me think, thank you. I liked the idea of 2 switches, one to select rear WD and the second for front WD so, I used 2 cheap bicycle lights (just removed the batteries and accessed the button switches:

DSC_2513 twin lights.jpg

Visually it just looks like 2 lights, "switch on" the left for rear WD, right for front WD and both for 2 WD. Now I just need to get power to the 2 sets of LEDs.

dogman said:
My inclination would be 1 throttle, and a simple switch to cut it off to the rear controller. Ride front hub till you need more, then switch on the rear. Actually, two switches would be neat too, so you could run front only or back only. Why? so you could cool a hot motor, and run on the other awhile at your choice. So on a really long trip, you could alternate which motor every 30 min or so keeping em nice and cool for miles and miles.

Actually, on my dual 9c setup, I prefer to always run both hubs except when I want to save energy on slower straights. I have dual switches, one of them wired to an ebrake rather than power, because the controller needs to power the single throttle (remain ON) all the time.
Switching to a "cooler" motor is not a good idea IMO. I'd rather have both motors on, instead of putting high load into a single motor...

Interesting set up, Phil.

One naive question for you and Paul: I know that the controller has a 17A limit, so definitely insufficient to provide power for both hubs. But if it was a 34A controller, could it be used to power and control both hubs?

Sam

SamTexas said:

One naive question for you and Paul: I know that the controller has a 17A limit, so definitely insufficient to provide power for both hubs. But if it was a 34A controller, could it be used to power and control both hubs?

Sam

No.

You couldn't use 1 distributor to run 2 gas engines, you can't use 1 controller to run 2 motors.

miuan said:
Actually, on my dual 9c setup, I prefer to always run both hubs except when I want to save energy on slower straights.

This is how I am now riding, normally both hubs but only the rear when I want to ride as quietly as possible. Must get some instrumentation to see which is the most efficient one hub motor or two.

Drunkskunk said:
SamTexas said:

Sam

No.

You couldn't use 1 distributor to run 2 gas engines, you can't use 1 controller to run 2 motors.

The controllers are small and I prefer some redundancy so I have not considered one controller - leave it to the gurus to say whether one controller will work.

Drunkskunk said:
No.

Of course it's possible with 2 identical brushed motors. What I would like to know is why it might be a problem with identical brushless motors. Appears to be HAL synchronization related.

A couple of videos (I hope):

cows, dogs and people do not notice the approach:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1grWWx0H0s

mountain path:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDm7lIHih8U

ChinaPhil said:
cows, dogs and people do not notice the approach:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1grWWx0H0s

Thanks for sharing. Is this Hong Kong? I've never seen it from this angle. Are cows allowed in residential area?

SamTexas,

the cows are free to roam where they want, villagers fence their crops to prevent bovine destruction.

Phil

Back