Question about putting a larger lipo battery in child's rc car?

alpharalpha

100 W
I know this isn't e-bike related but hoping someone can give me some input on this: my child has a little rc stunt car, 3.7v 400mah battery that has to be taken out ea' time to recharge but there's space in battery box for larger. I remember when I first started out on here getting some warnings about lipo batteries catching fire so this is why I'm concerned. The car came with the cheapo usb charger (can see in pic) if I get a larger capacity lipo is there any danger of catching fire while charging, and can I still use the cheapo charger, thinking of something like this for new battery. Thanks,

61vCEcQOjNL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

61u0ua9g7TL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

41M1sTCRrrL.jpg

alpharalpha said:
I know this isn't e-bike related but hoping someone can give me some input on this: my child has a little rc stunt car, 3.7v 400mah battery that has to be taken out ea' time to recharge but there's space in battery box for larger. I remember when I first started out on here getting some warnings about lipo batteries catching fire (I went with life cells) so this is why I'm concerned. The car came with the cheapo usb charger (can see in pic) if I get a larger lipo around is there any danger of catching fire while charging, and can I still use the cheapo charger, thinking of something like this for new battery. Thanks,

41M1sTCRrrL.jpg

Should be fine, esp if the replacement battery is larger, there is less danger of the stock OEM charger overcharging it at a rate higher than which the new large cell can handle. I have done this before with toys.

Just put Lifepo back in it if that is what it came with OEM...... The charger is probably chemistry specific....

LiFePo = 3.6v charged full 3.2v nominal,
Lithium = 4.2v charged.... 3.6v nominal
Lipo = 3.7v nominal.

DogDipstick said:
alpharalpha said:
I know this isn't e-bike related but hoping someone can give me some input on this: my child has a little rc stunt car, 3.7v 400mah battery that has to be taken out ea' time to recharge but there's space in battery box for larger. I remember when I first started out on here getting some warnings about lipo batteries catching fire (I went with life cells) so this is why I'm concerned. The car came with the cheapo usb charger (can see in pic) if I get a larger lipo around is there any danger of catching fire while charging, and can I still use the cheapo charger, thinking of something like this for new battery. Thanks,

41M1sTCRrrL.jpg

Should be fine, esp if the replacement battery is larger, there is less danger of the stock OEM charger overcharging it at a rate higher than which the new large cell can handle. I have done this before with toys.

Just put Lifepo back in it if that is what it came with OEM...... The charger is probably chemistry specific....

LiFePo = 3.6v charged full 3.2v nominal,
Lithium = 4.2v charged.... 3.6v nominal
Lipo = 3.7v nominal.

Oops, had meant I ended up going with lifePo cells for my e-Bike instead of lipo, not about the rc car.

alpharalpha said:
if I get a larger capacity lipo is there any danger of catching fire while charging, and can I still use the cheapo charger, thinking of something like this for new battery.
In general you can use the same charger. I would check to make sure that the charger regulates well (i.e. no more than 4.2 volts per cell) but other than that you should be able to use the same charger with a larger pack.

Back