Questions on seting up Kelly controller

dkad108

1 µW
As my first post I wanted to say hello and introduce myself. Having two kids I want to get a small 4 wheel cart going as well as possibly a scooter. To begin I started modifying their ride-on toys and with good success, I wanted to try a larger, more robust controller.

I picked up a Kelly 24V KDZ24300 mainly for their current 24V toy and to eventually upgrade later into a scooter or more durable 4 wheel cart or buggy. I thought I could use this as a reversing controller but later realized I need a reversing contactor so not a huge deal.

The current setup uses two 24V 50A DPDT relays along with a 1000W controller but those really aren't what I wanted for the higher amperage draw of the two 775 size motors but work fairly well.

Moving forward, I want to use the kelly controller with the current hall effect throttle and momentary push button brake on their existing 4-wheeler using the two 775 motors. There is a reverse lever but I will need a separate contactor for that, so forward only for now is fine.

I have the J2 harness and my main concern is will I need a main contactor with a resistor or can I wire the controller from a fused power lead without the contactor?

Just looking for tips to properly hook up the controller to avoid any damage as they aren't cheap.

So for now I will use two 12V batteries in series for 24V, 3-wire hall-effect throttle, push-button for brake, and a keyed switch along with a 50A fuse. I do have a RS232 to USB for the PC for programming.

All input and criticism is greatly appreciated.....glad to be here!

You can ignore the contactor that switches the controller on, a fuse or something similar is enough.

My first controller was a small DC Kelly and I connected it directly to my battery without even a BMS :D

I only check that I precharge my controllers before I connect the battery.

eee291 said:
You can ignore the contactor that switches the controller on, a fuse or something similar is enough.

Copy that....thanks.

eee291 said:
I only check that I precharge my controllers before I connect the battery.

That's what I'm not sure exactly how to accomplish.

I understand that a slower in rush current to charge the capacitors, but curious as to the best way to do this.

Use the resistor that came with the Controller. First you connect any of the terminals (B- or B+ doesn't matter which) then before you connect the second one you close the circuit with the resistor and a small amount of current will flow.
You can check on the progress with a Multimeter.
Once it's within a few volts or after about 30 seconds you can connect the second terminal to the Controller, during this time you need to keep the ignition from the Controller off, otherwise it will drain the capacitors and you'll get a spark.

Back