Razor ecosmart Metro: How to take front fork apart, advice on one sticky nut.

orlbuzz

10 mW
I discovered a nut was loose on the front fork of the used scooter I have been working on. I got the handlebars off, but the nut that I suspect serves as a locknut is off the adjustment nut below it and won't move much up or down. It feels as though it's stripped on those fine threads. I hate to use brute force, but that may be the only way or to cut it off. I tightened the adjusting nut down and the fork turns smoothly with no grinding, but that won't last without the lock nut.
Is this a common problem? I suspect this is a common bicycle part and that if I cut it off I could get another nut somewhere. I'll drop a picture.
Experienced advice would be appreciated.
orlbuzz
Edit:
Edit:
I bit the bullet and wrenched it off. Not stripped, but just really hard to turn. I'm strong and it was still a struggle. After that it loosened up.
In the process, I found this service bulletin, that might help others. Apparently I should take this limiter out before removing the fork. I haven't done this yet.
https://razor.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Service_Bulletin_EcoSmart-Front-Fork-Installation-Instructions_210922.pdf

Locknut .jpg

Its on that far so if it stripped threads you would see it above where it is.
Spray some oil on there so it seaps down, keep doing that for a few hours then try normally
If that doesnt help then crank on it somewhat hard
Then apply heat and try normally, heat again and try much much harder, the hardest you can without adding pipe leverage.
Reapply the oil right after heating, keep adding oil after and really really crank on it
Then go big or go home on all methods.

Most importantly you better check to see if your turning the wrench the right way to loosen it.

Thanks again Caleb, you're always there for me, but, you must have missed my edit above. I got it off. There are some buggered up places on one side of the nut, but running it up and down a few times and it's much freer.

If you see this though, I have another problem. I'm having a heck of a time finding a side pull simple caliper to put on the front fork. I had to return one set because it wouldn't even go around the tire, and would not reach where I want to drill the hole for mounting. I may put this question in the bike section too. I don't know how they measure calipers. I have seen measurements from the bolt to the shoe/rim and that's the main measurement I need to meet, along with it going around the tire. The rim is a 16". The tire is 16 x 2.125. I looked in Walmart today and saw several children's 16" bikes with cantilever front brakes. I've seen references to mid length and full length. I'm trying now to find a parts breakdown for a 16" bike so I can cross reference back to a caliper.
Thanks again Caleb!
orlbuzz

I found a good answer on another forum that was attached to a sales site, but this time the sales is gone, but the forum is still active. Not really a forum, more of a question and answer and articles by one guy. I don't know if I should mention names, but anyone interested can ask and I will message. The moderator gave a great explanation of the length of calipers and how the description has changed over time with calipers getting shorter. It looks like I need to be looking for what is now called extra long! With that I have now narrowed it down to five calipers. None of them come as caliper alone, they either have front and rear, or they have caliper, cable, and lever. I think I will go with the front and rear as the lever would be useless to me as it doesn't have the electrical connection to cut power to the motor.
orlbuzz

Back