• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

rear hub rubbing..baddly!

pawizard

1 µW
I just purchased a used ampedbike rear wheel conversion. The previous owner put some serious milage on the bike. It needed new tires and tubes (the originals were still on the bike and the back went flat). I bought new tires and tubes. Took pictures of the setups, nuts, where everything goes, etc. I swear I put everything back exactly the same. Now the rear disc brake housing is trying to gouge a groove into motor hub! I need to fix this. New power supply will be here soon. I pedaled it before changing the tires and it didn't do this. If I use the back brake, it makes a terrible noise now. But brakes work front and rear. Any help or questions to help would be appreciated.
Mike

if it didn't rub before you may have put some washers or spacers in the wrong place, another way to possibly fix it would be to put a set of washers between hub and disk, thats the way i had to fix mine-one washer on each bolt between hub and disc worked-steve

You need to play with the washers some. Step one, more washer on the axle, get that disk caliper to clear the cover. Then adjust by putting washers under the disk, or a big washer made to move the disk out to where the caliper is.

When done, you might need to adjust spokes to bring the tire back to center. Have fun and enjoy it, because it will take some time to fuss it all right again.

The problem is not your fault, you just have a different disk caliper than he did. You could change too a skinny caliper, but that costs more than washers.

Thank you. I'm going out now to look at putting washers in. I will also make sure my line up does match the pictures I took.

Fixed!
Moved disc brake mounting tabs and shimmed out the disc. Thanks to all. Took my 1st test ride today. Everything is working so far. It has a PAS system. Cool!

Back