Recommendation on SATA hard drive for reliability

bigmoose

1 MW
I lost another hard drive on the desktop last night. Don't know if the full backup made it off or not. Toasted in the morning... This was a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s, the one that went 9 months ago was a Western Digital Caviar Blue WD1600AAJB 160GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100

I wanted to poll the wisdom of the systems folks here for a make/model recommendation on a reliable SATA hard drive. I have been buying the one that had good sales volume and the best ratings on NewEgg... but it looks like that method has not been working...

I'll let the guys with loads of HD experience recommend the type of drive, I'll just say that you might explore RAID 1.

I was about to send you to NewEgg for ratings, but I see that isn't working. With the price of drives these days, you could get two matching drives and set them up in Raid 1 (mirroring) for a constant backup. Looks like you are disciplined about backups and already know there is no substitute. You might look to see what NASA uses ;) (no sarcasm intended). I bet they put some real science into their choices. A high end case with good cooling might help as well.

Sorry I can't answer your direct question. The folks here that work in or run data centers probably have some real world advice, but they for the most part aren't using SATA these days if I'm not mistaken.

Possibly interesting article:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...s_Myth_or_metric_?taxonomyId=151&pageNumber=1

My years of experience in repairing computers both new and old as a tech at CompUSA, and Computer City before them (and my own personal experiences as well as those of various friends) has been that there is no reliable hard drive brand or model, really. I have seen them all die, sometimes in batches, sometimes ones-and-twos, some early and some years down the road but with little power-on-time.

I'd just get whatever seems convenient and cost-effective, then RAID them as a mirror. Preferably buy extras so you can swap one out periodically to rebuild the array onto the new one from the one left in the array, then keep the old one in storage, and swap them back and forth that way to make backups as images of the drive itself. Then if tragedy strikes and you lose all the drives still physically in the array you still have the others to plug in. :) Plus your usual backup methods, of course, in case the RAID controller itself dies, leaving you unable to read any of the drives.

I've seen even crappy drives live forever, and have a pair of those in my computer now, raided as a mirror for the last 3+ years--Samsung 300GB SATA. I hated that brand for years due to many problems, and even the series and model of drive I am using has died for lots of people I've helped, but on mine they just keep going. Of course, now that I've said that they'll die tonight, but for now they're still going. ;)

On 12-7-2007 I had several drives of different ages, manufacturers, models, and interface types fail within hours of each other, for no explicable reason. Some were in computers, and some were in external cases via USB with their own power supplies, and they were on three different circuits in the house, too. Naturally, I was in the process of a network-wide backup and data shuffle, and at the moment failures began had just been moving some data from one computer to a more relevant one, having finished moving data from the latter to the former to make room. Naturally, it was mostly drives that had the only current copy of data on them that failed, and all of them failed in ways that left me unable to even use Spinrite to recover them (most were no longer even detected by the BIOS, due to constant resets). I did eventually recover one by swapping boards with one I later found at a thrift store of the same model, but that was an exceptional fluke. :) Most of the data is simply gone, but none of it was super-important (which is why it was being manipulated that way without a proper backup of it first).

Given all that, I tend to trust Seagate more than other brands, but I have no experience at all with anything above 500GB drives, as I have tried to stay out of the computer repair business on a personal level since CompUSA shutdown (and have been unable to get a job in the field--not that I'd want one anyway).

I'd recommend flash for utmost reliability. For large capacities, though, a bit expensive (large defined as above 32 gb).

For reliable cost-effectiveness, some version of RAID along with algorithmic "past backups". I've heard another user say that RAID-1 (simple mirroring) does not protect against data corruption as the corrupt data simply gets copied, so keeping past information in a different file/data-storage-container might be wise.

Thanks for you replies and advice. It is appreciated.

I am in good shape for the data. Funny, I actually do it the way NASA does: three complete backups, one offsite in case of physical catastrophe to the facility you are in. So I am OK with the data.

It is the operating system, tweaked applications on my "Engineering Workhorse." This thing will take literally 3 workdays to rebuild with patches, upgrades and such.

My backup from the previous night was unreadable. My next best backup loaded, but appears to be corrupted...

I got a tip from a IT friend yesterday, and put the failed drive in a baggie in the freezer for 90 minutes. Believe it or not it booted about 30 minutes ago and is in the process of Acronis True Image cloning it to a new, spare Western Digital drive I had... we'll see in an other hour or so if it can complete before the heat "flakes" kill it.

If that works I can create clones of the hard drive on a regular basis, like weekly. That with daily data backup should work. That is what I used to do with my main machine at work before I retired. I should have stayed disciplined at my new "corporate headquarters" ie. my den! :wink:

Thanks again!

As mentioned earlier, definitely RAID. Myself as well have had all kinds of luck with all brands, so ... just RAID. =P And backup ... but RAID will help you skip many situations that would otherwise force you to resort to old images. Not all, but many.

I'd also think about going SSD. If it is your OS drives, that will help a lot with also performance. Compared to a RAID 1 (or higher) setup, a fair sized SSD isn't THAT much more costly ... Just my 2 cents (and I'm definitely going for SSD in anything I buy for non-mass-storage but "use" disks).

I read something back in 1999 that claimed most failures were of the directory and that using schemes that copied data and created separate directory structures were the best protection.

One of RAID 1 mirror's main virtues is that it can continue to operate with zero downtime in the event of a physical drive failure. So, if you don't need that, the best use of two drives would be a synchronization scheme.

Note: I'm no expert, but this made sense given my level of understanding.

P.S. Does "bigmoose" refer to us degenerate Americans?

Thanks guys for the leads.

Believe it or not, it worked! I finished the clone onto the new spare WD drive, and it booted! Whooppeeeee!!!! It will take a while to see if things got too corrupted, or if all is serviceable. I now owe my buddy Ron, the IT director at the last remaining Aerospace firm in the area a dinner! ... and a bottle of wine for the freezer tip!

Long term approach, is I am looking at a NAS with a couple of TBytes of RAID storage, and will image the Disk there and do daily update backups. I will go back to cloning the boot HD weekly as I did thru my corporate career. I will continue the 3 backups on data with one off site.

I will look into replacing the boot drive with a Solid State Drive and segregate the data onto a separate hard drive... my BIOS does not support RAID on this machine... :cry:

Too much time invested in getting the "system" bug free and customized to loose it all. Just too much time to start over in a crisis. It is OK when you can take an hour here and there to build another system... the customer doesn't care nor understand your problems, nor should they...

what are u running that ud need a raid? i considered that since its 'failsafe' but considering it would probably be 4 latest tech hd's, [no point in getting a 120gb now right?] i just figured id take my chances with an external hd, after all its only 2-3 years before we all go solid state drive anyway,

that said, newegg has 1.5 TB mybook external hd for $99 with a $10 gift card, id say get one of these only for backup and u should b good, ive had a 1tb wd(not mybook tho) since christmas to back stuff up, cant complain so far

I have a consulting business that deals in a lot of engineering IP. My clients expect me to be running each and every day... No excuses, no lost connectivity data or emails. The only way to do this is with redundancy when you don't have your own IT department.

The solution I have now is that when I got the drive copied and running on my old MSI motherboard system, I built a bit better MSI motherboard system as the backup. I now have two reasonably compatible desktops in my "corporate office" I also have an IBM X-32 laptop with similar capability that I carry with me to clients. I am now back to cloning the MSI hard drives weekly with Acronis true image to spare drives and backing up the X-32 weekly to a DS209 NAS. I also have a spare X-32 in case of a mother board/monitor failure on the laptop.

The thing I added after this mess is a Synology DS209 Network Attached Storage device. I loaded it with two Western Digital 1TB drives in RAID1. I have shied away from NAS for a while, but man, does the DS209 ROCK! Worked right out of the box, encryption, etc...etc. Love it and the features so far. The DS209 is doing so well on my intranet, I may drop the server out of the loop. A friend who is an IT manager is getting me a surplus stand alone VPN/firewall device, so I can ditch the server for VPN access when at the client's site.

When you have a small consulting gig, you really depend upon your computers!

Have you looked into backing up to or storing data in the cloud?

I think there are many online storage solutions where the level of redundancy and reliability far exceeds what can be achieved at home. Synchronization with your local machine has become much simpler too with options like dropbox.com

With email for example, I've completely abandoned storing email locally and moved to Google's GMail where I have had no data lost or downtime since I opened the account nearly 6 years ago.

voicecoils said:
Have you looked into backing up to or storing data in the cloud?

I have not to date, likely a good suggestion that I should learn more about. Thanks!

Back