Regen braking - no disc brake -> Possible??

I am setting up my QS205 with my Sabvaton 72150 on moped set up. The moped is more like a 125 motorcycle so it has a huge thick disc in the front with a strong hydraulic front brake but actually weighs less than 100lbs. I have ridden the bike a lot with a different e-motor and I mostly use the front brake anyway. I would prefer to not have to weld and set up a rear disc brake for the upgraded motor. I have heard rumblings on here that you can set up to have a push button regen braking to be used on demand instead of a brake and caliper, I have also heard it can be really effective. Can anyone provide insight?? And the details on how?

I have a similar setup and do at least 80% of my braking with the variable regen, and the other 20% with my front brake. It's very effective. However, I wouldn't want to be without a rear brake just as a redundant safety feature in case something goes wrong with the regen or my front brake. Your call on whether you want to take that risk.

Yeah, i ran a single eBrake lever that turned on the rear regen first, then i had a 205mm hydraulic up front. It works great. >80% of my braking happened at the rear wheel. You just want to have a very, very, very solid torque arm setup in the rear and you are good to go.

The good thing is that i could easily come to a complete stop with the front brake if i needed to. 205mm was overkill. My idea of redundancy is just a huge brake.. ;)

What happened to the KLS? You give up on it?

Yes, the regen braking is just as effective as a mechanical brake.

I agree with haulincolin, having a mechanical backup is not only good for peace of mind but when combined with regen, can stop you in an even shorter distance.

When you brake short, the rear brake is almost useless, because the rear wheel barely touch the ground.

The rear brake is important on slippery conditions, or when you have a passenger. Regen does better than a cheap brake that has poor modulation, but a good brake is giving better control than regen. A controller that has variable regen does very good. So yes, you can go without a rear brake if you have regen, and variable regen is doing very good.

2WheelsMovesTheSoul said:
What happened to the KLS? You give up on it?

Yes, the regen braking is just as effective as a mechanical brake.

I agree with haulincolin, having a mechanical backup is not only good for peace of mind but when combined with regen, can stop you in an even shorter distance.

No matter the test or trial QS had me try, nothing worked. I sent it back. A pain in the A$$ to say the least.
I think i will set up the mechanical as a back up, as you mentioned. I have one of the brake levers that has the regen button in it. Any more advice is welcome. Anyone have a wiring diagram on the brake set up?

Back